• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool North platform staff

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
At the moment, the number of staffed seaside terminal stations that remain open to passenger traffic isn't large – there's Blackpool North, Bognor Regis, Clacton, Cleethorpes, Eastbourne, Great Yarmouth, Llandudno, Littlehampton, Lowestoft, Lymington, Penzance, Scarborough, Skegness and Weymouth – apart from Skegness (which is also a semaphore–signalled terminus along with Bognor and Littlehampton!) and which also has a reputation for being unfriendly to customers, are any of the other stations I mentioned anything like Blackpool North?
Lymington Pier - the terminal - is unstaffed; it's Lymington Town that is staffed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parham Wood

Don't blame the staff, they are what they are allowed to be and there maybe some good reasons for some of the practices! Purely a management issue probably locally and up high. It will not change until someone with clout or access to clout takes Northern on. What has the MP done?

John Luxton

Established Member
At the moment, the number of staffed seaside terminal stations that remain open to passenger traffic isn't large – there's Blackpool North, Bognor Regis, Clacton, Cleethorpes, Eastbourne, Great Yarmouth, Llandudno, Littlehampton, Lowestoft, Lymington, Penzance, Scarborough, Skegness and Weymouth – apart from Skegness (which is also a semaphore–signalled terminus along with Bognor and Littlehampton!) and which also has a reputation for being unfriendly to customers, are any of the other stations I mentioned anything like Blackpool North?

Chris Williams
I have visited Penzance Station quite a few times in recent years and it seems a friendly sort of place at least as far as enthusiasts are concerned. They must be used to them. The platforms are usually open. Last September the gate on Platform 4 was closed but I walked around from Platform 3 to photograph the HST Castle there. None of the staff said anything. I think they also get a lot of members of the public using the toilets in Penzance station as unlike the ones in the bus station next door they are free to use!

furnessvale

Established Member
Previous MP left Parliament under something of a cloud. Replacement (= Chris Webb) has only just been elected.
The problems at BPN predate this MP, the last MP and probably half a dozen before him. I last worked at BPN on and off around 1995 and nothing has changed since then.

Parallel

Established Member
Blackpool is like an airport, they let you through the ticket gate but then there's (often) a queue waiting for the platform doors to open, even when the train's there ready for you. That being said, they let us board a good 10 mins before setting off today, plenty of time! Another seaside terminus, Brighton, I'm not sure if they will let you through the ticket gate if your train isn't ready to board - never tried it, anyone? But there the ticket gate IS the boarding gate unlike Blackpool.
There are quite a few stations like Brighton - Inverness, Aberdeen, most of the London terminals, Glasgow Queen Street etc. But gates and staff will let you through if there’s any train due to depart via accessing that gateline, as they’ll assume you’re taking that one.

The only station similar to Blackpool North I’ve encountered was Exmouth once in summer. They had a metal shutter closed and opened it so the platform could be accessed a few minutes before the train was due to arrive.

dk1

Veteran Member
There are quite a few stations like Brighton - Inverness, Aberdeen, most of the London terminals, Glasgow Queen Street etc. But gates and staff will let you through if there’s any train due to depart via accessing that gateline, as they’ll assume you’re taking that one.

The only station similar to Blackpool North I’ve encountered was Exmouth once in summer. They had a metal shutter closed and opened it so the platform could be accessed a few minutes before the train was due to arrive.

Yarmouth always did that too on Summer Saturdays up until around 10 years ago. Only exception was 11:30-12:30 when all the revenue protection/managers went off to the market place for chips.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The problems at BPN predate this MP, the last MP and probably half a dozen before him. I last worked at BPN on and off around 1995 and nothing has changed since then.
Fair comment. You'd imagine that numerous previous MPs for the Blackpool South seat must undoubtedly have passed through Blackpool North station over the years when visiting their constituency.

sansyy

Blackpool South is worse of a station but for the lack of facilities. When I last travelled to it about 3 years ago there was a ticket machine but considering how rundown the area is, I wouldn't be surprised if the ticket machine got stolen and sold on Facebook Marketplace for a tenner and a 4 pack of beer. Shocking scenes with that massive car park where kids like to roam around on loud bikes and disturb the peace. Was always worried of getting robbed there while waiting for the train. At least at Blackpool North the station staff would intimidate thieves and others coming to disturb the peace by being better at it then they are. The only way to sort out these problems is to cut transport to Blackpool and let them realise how much they take it for granted!

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
I suspect that the source of the problem is the directives regarding security from the DfT. The key issue is the limit on how long passenger trains may be left both open and unattended, with a security based search of a train being required when such limits are breached. The responsibility for such searches lies with traincrew, not cleaners.

Many trains have quite long turnarounds at Blackpool North which does allow time for interior cleaning to take place, and it is often much needed. However crew mealbreaks are also regularly scheduled there which can often leave trains without crews for most of the turnaround time. Therefore to avoid breaching the security limits while still allowing cleaning to take place it becomes necessary to restrict passenger access to trains awaiting departure until such time as traincrews are definitively in place. Otherwise departures could be delayed to allow a security search to take place.

At least that's the theory as I understand it. I suspect that in practice a lack of pragmatism at some point in the past led to station staff being taken to task for failing to adhere to the designated protocols and the unfriendly practices now so evident is the result. A case of once bitten twice shy perhaps. And no manager is going to attempt to rewrite mandated security protocols on a purely local basis. I suspect the potential for similar situations exists elsewhere but leading to different results, some of which are equally as unfriendly to passengers eg Euston and Paddington.

I would also add that in my experience (as a guard) there were no issues with the booking office staff: from time to time I would arrive there rather short of change and they were always perfectly friendly in supplying me with more, unlike certain "big city" booking offices I could mention.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Good to see that fully 5 and 1/2 years since my last visit to the resort having been a regular visitor up until 2019 as a friend and business owner live there until his sudden death in July of that year. That staff at Blackpool North are still providing some of the worst customer service I've ever experienced anywhere and I include past teethings with hmrc and the DWP here. Not to mention all the times that as a visually impaired person I've had inferior service because people either don't want to know or have had no training and therefore get scared and or defensive

I accept that there are 101 reasons on the railway operational side such as train cleaning and train crew brakes that they have to be careful. But there are plenty of other stations where both of these happen and more. And you're not treated like a citizen of the very worst kind of third world country
I always used to put up with the considerable inconvenience of the one train per hour service often resulting in missed connections at Preston and use Blackpool South

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I don’t think I could ever take it that personally. Some staff in my nearest Sainsbury’s aren’t very friendly but I wouldn’t put myself out to go anywhere else. Although I regularly join the queue at Blackpool North I’ve never had to rush to the train. It’s just one of those things that happen at that station. I’m actually looking at booking another trip soon to tick the new Holiday Inn & the tram extension.
Why is it putting yourself out to drive? It's more comfortable, stick the car in pro-pilot and it's very relaxing. And you don't have to contend with grumpy rail staff. Why put yourself out to go by train?
On Bank Holiday Monday we drove to Prestatyn and walked down the beach to Rhyl then got the train back to Prestatyn. The grumpy security staff at Rhyl served as a reminder why we'd driven in the first place!

geoffk

Established Member

Chris Williams
Also Paignton (not technically a terminus) and Exmouth. On the only occasion I arrived at Cleethorpes by train, there was locked gate preventing anyone leaving the platform but after a few minutes a member of staff came and unlocked it. I had a bit of an issue once at Fort William when I wanted to photograph the sleeper stock - there was a barrier across the platform entrance. "We're cleaning the train" I was told.

dk1

Veteran Member
Why is it putting yourself out to drive? It's more comfortable, stick the car in pro-pilot and it's very relaxing. And you don't have to contend with grumpy rail staff. Why put yourself out to go by train?
On Bank Holiday Monday we drove to Prestatyn and walked down the beach to Rhyl then got the train back to Prestatyn. The grumpy security staff at Rhyl served as a reminder why we'd driven in the first place!
Train every time for me. I can’t think of any worse way to travel than to take my car. In fact I simply wouldn’t go in the first place. I don’t take grumpy staff that personally. We can’t all be little rays of sunshine working on the railway like me :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Train every time for me. I can’t think of any worse way to travel than to take my car. In fact I simply wouldn’t go in the first place.
There are a range of opinions on this but the harsh reality is that rail makes up a minority of market share.

If rail wants to be attractive, it needs to work harder.

Of course there are some people who will always use the train, regardless of price (but do you pay anything approaching full fare?), service levels or any other factors; but do you accept this is a small minority?
I don’t take grumpy staff that personally. We can’t all be little rays of sunshine working on the railway like me :)
Already addressed above. Is there anything new to add here or are we going round in circles?

matchmaker

Established Member

Chris Williams
Wemyss Bay is staffed. I don't think it has ticket gates.

Skymonster

Established Member
i suspect the behavior of certain sections of the population, especially those who have a tendency to choose the town for a weekend away, influences the procedures adopted at Blackpool North. Rowdy groups of arriving passengers, already well lubricated through consumption from cans on the train, do not behave well on the platforms either. And if the adjacent platform is due an arrival/departure or is unoccupied the risks must be significant. Departing passenger behaviour isn’t always much better, although early morning any groups often seem to be a bit quieter for some reason! Don’t think that this is just an occasional problem: it can be train after train especially as the weekend approaches.

Sure this doesn’t justify staff rudeness, but I’ve never seen that. I’ve also been through Blackpool North several times when the barriers were open and thus no tickets were required to enter the waiting hall. My only complaint is the sometimes late opening of the doors to the platforms for boarding, but this seems to be related to when the guard for the service is available and Northern guards seem to have a habit of getting to their train rather last minute.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Train every time for me. I can’t think of any worse way to travel than to take my car. In fact I simply wouldn’t go in the first place. I don’t take grumpy staff that personally. We can’t all be little rays of sunshine working on the railway like me :)
Of course, for those so inclined, there's always the option of a trip to Blackpool South, where you won't be interacting with anyone other than the train conductor if you don't want to.

MikeWM

Established Member
Wemyss Bay is staffed. I don't think it has ticket gates.

It doesn't, no. Or at least it didn't have a few weeks ago when I was there :)

I don't think there is anywhere else like Blackpool North, in that you pass through the ticket gates and *then* aren't allowed onto the platform. Any other station I can think of that doesn't allow access to platforms (eg. Skegness) doesn't have preceding ticket gates, so you can wander off again rather than being 'held in a holding pen' as at BPN.

Starmill

Veteran Member
but do you pay anything approaching full fare?
Dk1 did specifically mention using their boxes for their journey to Blackpool North, which would rather imply they're going there by rail because they're getting it free.

Personally I've paid normal fare every time I've been there and been totally fine with it, but that doesn't mean I haven't seen the evidence that other people are receiving poor customer service or even sometimes getting wrong information or rights taken away.

Established Member
There are a range of opinions on this but the harsh reality is that rail makes up a minority of market share.

It depends which market you’re talking about, though. Rail is only viable for a minority of journeys given that it’s only available in certain locations, and particularly lends itself to journeys to and from London and the South East and other large population centres. We know it beats airlines between SE/London and Scotland, and between London and Paris, for example.

Where it’s provided, it is extremely well used and has enjoyed significant growth year on year every year since the 90s (outstripping other modes). So I’m not sure there’s really any evidence that it’s deterring people from travelling.

If rail wants to be attractive, it needs to work harder.

Of course there are some people who will always use the train, regardless of price (but do you pay anything approaching full fare?), service levels or any other factors; but do you accept this is a small minority?

It is very well used wherever it’s provided, though. In fact the UK’s railway is one of the most intensively utilised in Europe. The fact people don’t use it for journeys between small to medium sized towns and villages with no railway stations, for example, doesn’t really tell us much.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It is very well used wherever it’s provided, though. In fact the UK’s railway is one of the most intensively utilised in Europe. The fact people don’t use it for journeys between small to medium sized towns and villages with no railway stations, for example, doesn’t really tell us much.
Having travelled extensively in Europe, I am far from convinced that we are leading the way in this area, but feel free to create a new thread (or use an existing one, if there is one) if you wish to discuss it further!

Established Member
Having travelled extensively in Europe, I am far from convinced that we are leading the way in this area, but feel free to create a new thread (or use an existing one, if there is one) if you wish to discuss it further!

It’s quite an interesting point so I will have a think.

dk1

Veteran Member
Of course, for those so inclined, there's always the option of a trip to Blackpool South, where you won't be interacting with anyone other than the train conductor if you don't want to.

Rather soul destroying arriving at the South although I have used that route in the past for the Pleasure Beach & Lytham.

I actually recall staying at Pontins in the 70s and I’m sure loco hauled trains went past our chalet.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Always used to get a bit of a cheap laugh at the taxi. Telephonists surprise at a very obvious visitor arriving at and booking a cab from Blackpool South, mixture of incredulity that anyone would be mad enough to go that way and respect that someone had bothered to do his homework and avoid the continual state of carnage that goes on at and around North Station

The Puddock

I don't think there is anywhere else like Blackpool North, in that you pass through the ticket gates and *then* aren't allowed onto the platform. Any other station I can think of that doesn't allow access to platforms (eg. Skegness) doesn't have preceding ticket gates, so you can wander off again rather than being 'held in a holding pen' as at BPN.
Aberdeen has operated this way ever since the ticket barriers were put in (the platforms themselves are shut off with Tensa bariers and woe betide you if you go round or under them). The staff there would certainly give the ones at Blackpool North a run for their money in the rudeness stakes.

Of course at Inverness they just set all the ticket barriers to exit only until about 3 minutes before departure time and shout at you if you dare approach them before then.

Bantamzen

Established Member
i suspect the behavior of certain sections of the population, especially those who have a tendency to choose the town for a weekend away, influences the procedures adopted at Blackpool North. Rowdy groups of arriving passengers, already well lubricated through consumption from cans on the train, do not behave well on the platforms either. And if the adjacent platform is due an arrival/departure or is unoccupied the risks must be significant. Departing passenger behaviour isn’t always much better, although early morning any groups often seem to be a bit quieter for some reason! Don’t think that this is just an occasional problem: it can be train after train especially as the weekend approaches.

Sure this doesn’t justify staff rudeness, but I’ve never seen that. I’ve also been through Blackpool North several times when the barriers were open and thus no tickets were required to enter the waiting hall. My only complaint is the sometimes late opening of the doors to the platforms for boarding, but this seems to be related to when the guard for the service is available and Northern guards seem to have a habit of getting to their train rather last minute.
You are probably right that anti-social behaviour has resulted in the procedures sometimes used at Blackpool North. And perhaps with good reason. However as you point out this doesn't justify staff rudeness, and I have seen it albeit just the one time. There's a good way and bad way to implement things like this, and from what it seems some staff are choosing the latter. I know through personal experience much earlier in my career, that even in the face of difficult situations its far better to try and be helpful and explain why things are happening the way they are than being grumpy about it.

Its not always easy, there will always be times when you are pushed to the point of wanting to scream blue murder at folk, but that never helps and often simply serves to fuel escalation of the situation. And I'm afraid there will always be members of the public looking for any reason to do so, which is why even folk in public facing roles are pushed to the limit, it is vital to stay calm and professional. I know, because for my sins in the early days of my careers I worked on the public facing frontline of what is now the DWP. When I first started I would rise to the bait all too often, and subsequently got told off by my manager. But in time I learned that most angry, desperate, even drunk / high person can still be reasoned with when you simply remain calm and friendly. The vast majority of people are not nasty, and with a bit of professionalism can be dealt with in a reasonable manner. For the rest, its 999 all the way.

MikeWM

Established Member
Aberdeen has operated this way ever since the ticket barriers were put in (the platforms themselves are shut off with Tensa bariers and woe betide you if you go round or under them). The staff there would certainly give the ones at Blackpool North a run for their money in the rudeness stakes.

I didn't notice that on my recent visit, though I was (a) getting a through train and (b) only arrived with a few minutes to spare. Sounds annoying. But there's more to do locally if you want to leave passing through the barriers until the last minute, and anyway it feels more open than BPN if you're on the station itself, even if not allowed on the right platform.

Of course at Inverness they just set all the ticket barriers to exit only until about 3 minutes before departure time and shout at you if you dare approach them before then.

Again didn't notice that on my recent visit, but again I think I only arrived with a few minutes to spare. (I do vaguely remember an issue with this on my previous visit, but that was over 10 years ago). They didn't rush me off the platforms on arrival however, I had plenty of time to take photos etc., which doesn't appear to be the case at BPN.