• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool Tram timetable - a bit weird at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazthomas

Established Member
I am thinking of going to see the lights before they close after next weekend. Accommodation is at a premium so I was thinking of staying in Fleetwood. Why would the last tram from Blackpool Central pier be at 23.28 but the last trams from Fleetwood be at 23.56 and 00.26. I know they probably need to get the trams back from Fleetwood but it seems quite unbalanced. Unless Fleetwood is the place to go at night, which I doubt!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The last trams from Fleetwood run solely for the purpose of returning them, and the crews, to the depot. If anyone chooses to use them, then that's a bonus. They have to run down that track at much the same speed, so why not in service?

gazthomas

Established Member
The last trams from Fleetwood run solely for the purpose of returning them, and the crews, to the depot. If anyone chooses to use them, then that's a bonus. They have to run down that track at much the same speed, so why not in service?
I don't disagree with you, I guess my point was more about how relatively early the last tram from Blackpool was.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I don't disagree with you, I guess my point was more about how relatively early the last tram from Blackpool was.

Doesn't seem outlandishly early to me, but maybe they could run a bit later during the Illuminations. Is there a later tram to Bispham or wherever?

theblackwatch

Established Member
I don't think I'd consider that early - in most places, buses and trains tend to finish around 23.xx unless it's an area which has the luxury of night buses/trains.

Last edited:

pdeaves

Established Member
I think the original question was how there could be multiple trams back without a corresponding outward working. Like, do they couple a load together for the outward run and leave them at Fleetwood to return in dribs and drabs? (Obviously not, but how else does one explain it?!)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I think the original question was how there could be multiple trams back without a corresponding outward working. Like, do they couple a load together for the outward run and leave them at Fleetwood to return in dribs and drabs? (Obviously not, but how else does one explain it?!)
The 23.28 out would be the 00.26 back, I'd assume: the 23.56 back would have been the 22.58 out, there being a half-hourly service to/from Fleetwood at night.

uww11x

No demand for later trams. Also they would struggle to prepare the trams for the next day if they ran later.

uww11x

22:45 off Starr Gate on a Saturday Arrives 23:43 then Departs 23:56
23:15 off Starr Gate on Saturday Arrives 00:13 then departs 00:26

pdeaves

Established Member
The 23.28 out would be the 00.26 back, I'd assume: the 23.56 back would have been the 22.58 out, there being a half-hourly service to/from Fleetwood at night.

Quite right, I made a mess of mental arithmetic and invented an extra hour (the fact that it was clock change weekend is entirely coincidental!).

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
The 1973 Blackpool Corporation Transport timetable has the last trams from Fleetwood to Blackpool at 23:59 & 00:24 so little change in 44 years really.

Status
Not open for further replies.