• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool Trams News

northwichcat

Established Member
Even now the illuminations is on, we still have just the 15 minute frequency in the evenings (between Starr Gate and Little Bispham) and the bizarre 22 min/8 min split southbound

When I was there a few weeks ago the timetables at the tram stops showed extras in the evenings, but they didn't operate.

Had a look yesterday.
All the above comments still seem to apply so not much progress in the past month

View attachment 148740

I agree. No noticeable progress in over a month. Further down it looks like a working line without trams.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GardenRail

When I was there a few weeks ago the timetables at the tram stops showed extras in the evenings, but they didn't operate.

I agree. No noticeable progress in over a month. Further down it looks like a working line without trams.
No wonder HS2 got cancelled. We can't even get a tramway working in a provincial town.

philthetube

Established Member
Trams service suspended yesterday, today, and onwards -

• Tramway Suspended
    Today 04:53
    Tramway suspended until further notice due to high wind speeds. Causing sand build up in the rails and potential damage to the infrastructure. We will keep you updated throughout the day.
    Sorry for any inconvenience.
  • Tramway Disruption
    Today 11:37 - 23:58
    Due to the tramway suspension we are currently operating a bus replacement service. There is a bus replacement from Starr Gate heading North at 1145, 1300, 1400, 1515 and 1615.
    There is a bus replacement from Fleetwood Ferry heading south at 1150,1250,1405,1505 and 1720. Due to low resources after 1818 there will be no bus replacements unfortunately. Please plan ahead and use the bus network or arrange alternative travel. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.
Blackpool trams used to maintain the pcv licenses of their staff where they held them...oh dear

philthetube

Established Member
I have been to the accident site and have no idea how this happened, there are a couple of traffic islands protecting parking spaces but these do not appear to have been involved.

davehsug

Read on the Gazette that the North Station hotel is due to open in the "next couple of months" and is taking bookings. So hopefully, it won't be too long now before the tram service can start.

davehsug

News in The Gazette that the signage is now up for the North Station tram stop. The hotel is due to open in the next month.

Harvey B

If the hotel is Due to open next month then does anyone have an estimated opening date for the Extension?

It's 1000% been under construction for longer than it should have been. It's 4 Years overdue

It's 1000% been under construction for longer than it should have been. It's 4 Years overdue
Then again. I Wouldn't be surprised if it's still not open in December

Tramfan

If the hotel is Due to open next month then does anyone have an estimated opening date for the Extension?

Then again. I Wouldn't be surprised if it's still not open in December
Last word was between Easter and May sometime

Towers

Established Member
Swinging wildly away from new stuff for a moment, I was rather gutted to stumble across this YouTube video showing Brush car 626 derelict and vandalised in a godforsaken looking corner of the docks at Birkenhead. It was dispensed with by Merseytravel after their tramway experiments, and presumably has been here ever since? Particularly sad as it was both operational and immaculate beforehand.

The video is from a year ago, is it still sat there rotting? I can’t imagine why you’d make a decision to store an item of 90 year old electric machinery outside at a dock indefinitely, but there we are. Presumably it’ll be unceremoniously scrapped at some stage. I know others exist, more Blackpool trams preserved than they built in the first place etc etc; but what a waste :(

davehsug

According to the leader of Blackpool Clowncil - Councillor Lynn Williams, Holiday Inn is open on 1st May. and trams start running to the Holiday Inn Mid May lol!
I'll be in Blackpool for a few days from 19th May. I won't get my hopes up too high!

AY1975

Established Member
Not sure whether this belongs here or warrants a separate thread, but I see that the tickets section of the Blackpool Transport website mentions Heritage Day Travelcards at £18 adult and £9 child, valid on Heritage Tram Tours and on regular trams and buses. It says these are not valid for evening tours, so presumably only for daytime Heritage Tram Tours (i.e. Promenade Tours, Mini Prom Tours, and Coastal Tours).

AIUI advance booking is now advised for all Heritage Tram Tours, whereas pre-Covid you could just hop on and hop off them as you pleased at least on the daytime tours although even now you can still do so if there is space. I presume this means that if you have one of these Heritage Day Travelcards you should phone or email Heritage Tram Tours to be sure of getting a place on your chosen tour.

Heritage Tram Tours were discussed extensively in this now locked thread that ran from 2020 until 2022: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/blackpool-trams.207780/

Harvey B

On the subject of the Heritage Trams: I'm not a fan of the watered down operation that they've got for this year, But I can understand seen as the Heritage Volunteers cannot use Rigby Road for the Foreseeable. Hoping that things will improve next year.

And on an unrelated subject, is there any idea when the extension will open?

And on an unrelated subject, is there any idea when the extension will open?

The platform at North Station Tram Stop has been rewired. I've heard rumours of something going up next week, probably overnight, but there are still a few bits and bobs that need to be finished first. But we're pretty close at last....

gomango

The platform at North Station Tram Stop has been rewired. I've heard rumours of something going up next week, probably overnight, but there are still a few bits and bobs that need to be finished first. But we're pretty close at last....
They were out rewiring stuff on Easter Monday!

Tramfan

Any clues yet as to what the finalised service pattern will be? The current Fleetwood to Starr Gate just diverted via North Station each way, or a separate North Station - Pleasure Beach/Bispham service?

507 001

Established Member
Any clues yet as to what the finalised service pattern will be? The current Fleetwood to Starr Gate just diverted via North Station each way, or a separate North Station - Pleasure Beach/Bispham service?

The former would be a silly idea IMO, at least through the day.

When we run Eccles-Ashton via Media City, Media gets a less reliable service than when we run direct. It’s the first port of call for getting time back if there’s late running.

More signs of slow but steady progress yesterday as a PW team were cleaning all the compacted sand and grot from the unused bits of Talbot Road points and trackwork at North Pier and in Talbot Square. Probably not going to run a tram up this week is the latest story but "before the end of April" is still on the cards.

davehsug

More signs of slow but steady progress yesterday as a PW team were cleaning all the compacted sand and grot from the unused bits of Talbot Road points and trackwork at North Pier and in Talbot Square. Probably not going to run a tram up this week is the latest story but "before the end of April" is still on the cards.
4 Weeks on Sunday until I'm there. Desperately hoping I'll get to ride a tram along Talbot Road!

JRT

Testing is due to start this week on the Talbot Road tramway extension, between the Promenade and the new Blackpool North tram stop.
From Tuesday 23 April, trams will be live on the tracks at various times of day while testing is carried out. The majority of testing will be Monday to Friday, however some weekend testing may also be required.
Road users and pedestrians are reminded to be cautious and ensure all traffic and parking restrictions are followed.
More details on the new tramway extension opening will be announced soon!
The above information copied from the Blackpool Council Facebook page

Last edited by a moderator: