• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexdodds

Am thinking of going to Blackpool for a day out hopefuly this month if it doesnt rain.

any idea what staff are like at North station. I know south is unstaffed so no problem there but North is my concern since it has doors seperating the concourse and the platforms. Has anyone ever tried to photograph on one of the platforms.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The reason Peter suggests getting written authorty is because at Blackpool North they normally dont allow anyone on the platforms except for getting on or off trains.

alexdodds

similar to Aberdeen then i dont mind that. I dont know why they keep them shut off. the trains are short but the platforms are very long. 3/4 the longest the one that was used by HST's till Virgin took Blackpool off in 2003.

Last edited:

adamp

Speak to station manager or someone of importance at the station, no reason for them to say no if its for personal use.

-Adam/GBRW

alexdodds

Speak to station manager or someone of importance at the station, no reason for them to say no if its for personal use.

-Adam/GBRW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTHk7EmahwM

Well the station manager was responsible for sending this fancy dress party down 5/6 to shift these enthusiasts from an area well out of the way.

I am sorry if i am been annoying it is never my intention to be a nusiance on this forum. i just seem to worry too much about staff at stations i havent been to.

I T S

Well the station manager was responsible for sending this fancy dress party down 5/6 to shift these enthusiasts from an area well out of the way.

I am sorry if i am been annoying it is never my intention to be a nusiance on this forum. i just seem to worry too much about staff at stations i havent been to.

Alex

I am currently in Blackpool until Monday 13th Sept. I was in blackpool north several times yesterday & today and not once was I confronted about photographs. RELAX! As long as you are behaving, and not getting in the way of passengers or staff I dont see any problem. I had a chat with a few members of staff this morning who were happy to offer information about the runnings around Preston so I think you should be ok.

ITS

alexdodds

Alex

I am currently in Blackpool until Monday 13th Sept. I was in blackpool north several times yesterday & today and not once was I confronted about photographs. RELAX! As long as you are behaving, and not getting in the way of passengers or staff I dont see any problem. I had a chat with a few members of staff this morning who were happy to offer information about the runnings around Preston so I think you should be ok.

ITS

At least you havent had problems but have you been allowed onto the platforms.

Green Lane

I've taken photos on the platforms just after getting off the train at Blackpool North. There were quite a few staff there and I was in full view of them but I wasn't getting in anyone's way, so no problems at all. No-one approached me, but I was only there for a few minutes.

Also took quite a few photos of the conourse and ticket barries etc.. again, no problems at all.

As always, I just use commons sense and try not to get in anyone's way.

I've not asked permission to get onto the platforms as I just take a few quick shots when I happen to be on the platforms anyway. Of course if I was planning on hanging around there for a while (if I had the time) then I would ask permission.

jimrbrobinson

It's been a good couple of years since I was last at Blackpool North, but I never had any problems there, or anywhere else so far for that matter (touching wood!). That said, like others have said, I make sure I'm not getting in anyone's way, and if I'm not actually travelling and therefore holding a valid ticket, I make sure I check in to get a platform ticket where applicable, or at least permission to be there. Perhaps it's different also if you're there solo (which I usually am) rather than in a group?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
43167 has hit on my reasoning exactly; plus it does also very much - like with a number of other locations - depend on who is on duty.

Having a letter ( I hold several from various companies as a precaution ) really does make things an awful lot easier.

alexdodds

Well i went to Blackpool today and i can tell you the staff at North station were very friendly. I did 2 one hour sessions one on 3/4 and one on 5/6.

All i did was inform the supervisor what i wanted to do and he said no problem and so i was allowed on the platforms.

When i went to do my second session i had to sign in as it was a different man from the one earlier but both were enthusiasts themselves. Once i was on the platforms no one approached me as the staff were informed over the radio.

If you want to go onto the platforms to photograph you have to see the supervisor first.

TBSchenker

Well like most stories there is more to this one.

Platforms 1 and 2 were closed to train movements and rail enthusiasts were allowed on these platforms for the arrival of the train into 3. This is actually a very enthusiast-friendly thing to do.

The group who were asked to move were very close to the end of the platform and were observed on CCTV prior to being approached.

The station staff were briefing all enthusiats upon arrival what the arrangements were, and these individuals chose to do their own thing. Complaining to Northern Rail won't achieve anything, from what the video shows the staff were polite and not confrontational.

alexdodds

Well like most stories there is more to this one.

Platforms 1 and 2 were closed to train movements and rail enthusiasts were allowed on these platforms for the arrival of the train into 3. This is actually a very enthusiast-friendly thing to do.

The group who were asked to move were very close to the end of the platform and were observed on CCTV prior to being approached.

The station staff were briefing all enthusiats upon arrival what the arrangements were, and these individuals chose to do their own thing. Complaining to Northern Rail won't achieve anything, from what the video shows the staff were polite and not confrontational.

Even i would of stood on 1/2 if i was there at the time afterall 1/2 is closer to 3 than what 5/6 is. At least when i went last week i had no trouble at all probably because it was a Friday and so it wasnt as busy as the weekend.

alexdodds

About 4 days ago a fellow enthusiast went to North station he just told me this 2day. But he was only allowed 10 mins on the platform and just still photos and no video. It was a woman supervisor that told him this. Not something you would except from someone with an award.

So anyone thinking of getting permission to photograph be aware that if the supervisor there is a woman dont try and ask. but if its a man then you will be ok. theres a 2 in 3 chance of been allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.