• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blank Rail Tickets: How much are they worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

metrolander

Hi all, first post on this forum so be careful!

I used to live in a village right next to the railway and used to be quite friendly with the guy that visited serviced the ticket machine. For whatever reason a few years ago he had to chuck out a couple of rolls of blank tickets and in my curiosity I asked if I could have them: he said yes. I thought maybe I could use them for an art project or whatnot but instead they have been sat collecting dust in my drawer for about five years.

I've decided I need to finally get rid of them, but I have no idea whether these are worth anything to anyone. I see one listing on ebay had 5 blank tickets as 'super rare' asking for £25 but I can't see any that have actually been sold. I thought I'd call in the experts (AKA you guys!) to see what you thought?

Here's what they look like (the other one I have is twice as large):
IMG_2306.jpeg

Thanks in advance all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
They’re worth a lot of money to somebody who wants to make some fake tickets.

They're not actually super rare, although the listings tend to suggest that to grab a sale. They occasionally come up for much less. Depending on your sensibilities, then selling blank tickets such as this could as the above post (#2) suggest lead to fraudulent activity. It could equally be bought by somebody who just wants them for their collection. If you want to know the true value of what somebody will pay and if you're committed to selling them, then put the listing on for 1p and see how much you get. But be prepared to be disappointed if it doesn't fetch what you want. Tickets that are valuable are genuinely rare examples and there are particular examples for each different type, be they Edmonson, NCR21/51, APTIS, etc. etc. For new tickets however, then probably not so much.

alistairlees

Established Member
You should either destroy these (they cannot be recycled easily) or use them for your own art project. Otherwise they will be bought by fraudsters.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'd be very careful about that for the reasons stated above - and the railway does keep an eye on such things on sale online and have been known in the past to get listings for just a handful of tickets removed, which would potentially get a "strike" recorded against your account. Putting a whole roll up is just asking for attention of the sort you would rather not have.

I'm pretty sure listing blank tickets is against e-Bay's rules anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.