• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blue Signal Aspect in Luxembourg

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Passing through Luxembourg last week, I was intrigued by a blue aspect on many signal posts - especially noticeable at night.
There appear to be the usual red, green and yellow aspects, so what are the blue aspects for?
Are they shunting signals or something?
I can't say I've seen blue signals anywhere else in western Europe.

Picture from the north end of Luxembourg station (it looks bluer than that in real life).

Attachments

• IMG_2349.jpg
    IMG_2349.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 131
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Found these which'll probably explain - and yes, it is blue :)
http://www.stellwerke.de/signal/cfl/index.html <- in German (or Lietzburghish) - Google Translate seems to work well
Seems to a shunting signal (look for signal type: SFV ) in the above.

Yes, thanks for digging it out.
It's a shunting signal (rangiersignal) like our red/white light pairs, but also placed on main signal posts as well as on the ground.
Blue is on and white is off, apparently.
Certainly adds to the variety of the railway furniture!

Railsigns

Established Member
There are numerous countries that use blue (stop) and white (proceed) in shunting signals (Poland, Hungary and Russia, to name a few).

Flying_Turtle

When you wish that shunt signals are ignored by train movements you use different colours (usually blue/violet/purple). Train movements will ignore those signals removing the need to clear them for train movements ( saving a few quids in maintenance and interlocking )

Status
Not open for further replies.