• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bluebell Railway Diesel Gala 2024

trainmania100

Established Member
Happening 6th to 8th September 2024

Bluebell Railway Diesel Gala 2024- First Visiting Locomotive!

A double dose of news for you this morning: we will see the return of our Diesel Gala at the railway in 2024, taking place between the 6th to 8th of September.

Also, we can announce that Class 20 No. D8188 is our first visiting locomotive for the gala! We must extend our thanks to the Somerset & Dorset Locomotive Ltd and The Watercress Line for allowing this loco to take part in our event.

Look out for further details and other guest announcements in due course!

We already have a bluebell railway thread but with announcements imminent for other visiting locomotives let's separate this out.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thornaby 37

Seems a bit strange having it on a weekend when there are diesel events at the Great Central and Nene Valley railways

ExRes

Established Member
Seems a bit strange having it on a weekend when there are diesel events at the Great Central and Nene Valley railways
The other two are 170 and 140 miles away from the Bluebell so I wouldn't think it likely that they'll be fighting each other for the same visitors, these events take a long time to organise and, with a limited number of weekends to hold them, clashes are inevitable, with established groups like these I'd reckon they've all done their homework

williamn

As seems usual for Heritage Railways, despite it having a mainline connection it put a lot of effort into achieving there is zero mention of it on the gala page, just a section on parking.

ExRes

Established Member
As seems usual for Heritage Railways, despite it having a mainline connection it put a lot of effort into achieving there is zero mention of it on the gala page, just a section on parking.

Are you referring to the Bluebell? if so I'd have another look at their website

alexl92

Established Member
The other two are 170 and 140 miles away from the Bluebell so I wouldn't think it likely that they'll be fighting each other for the same visitors, these events take a long time to organise and, with a limited number of weekends to hold them, clashes are inevitable, with established groups like these I'd reckon they've all done their homework
True, but I'd argue Great Central could be a threat, being as it is, fairly central - enthusiasts who are in that band between will have a choice to make. Could also restrict the number of potential visiting locos if 3 different railways are all looking for guests for the same few days.

satisnek

True, but I'd argue Great Central could be a threat, being as it is, fairly central - enthusiasts who are in that band between will have a choice to make.
It's tempting - I'd like to go to the Bluebell again although I'll have to see the timetable first. The last diesel gala I went to down there had a long gap between services to East Grinstead prior to the train which missed my necessary connection to London by a few minutes! But I can't help feeling that the GCR's gonna win :)