• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bluebell + SE Bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigS

Established Member
Vistied the Bluebell Railway yesterday for their Somerset & Dorset themed Autumn Steam Gala which featured five locos in use (was meant to be six but visiting Jinty 47493 failed). Locos in use were visiting 7F no. 58309, visiting Large Prairie no. 5199, U class no. 1638, O1 class no. 65 and Standard 4MT Tank no. 80151.

During the Gala, a few of the Bluebell's out of ticket locos were pulled out of the shed and put on display. These included A1X Terrier no. 55 Stepney, Standard 4MT no. 75027, 9F no. 92240, School class no. 928 and U class no. 1618.

Photos @ http://craigrailpics.fotopic.net/c1597382.html

Video (Part 1) @ http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PdM7yB3ZBV0
Video (Part 2) @ http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=d30zVqIxobA

I have also updated my site with a few photos taken during the week including;

31601 + DBSO 9702 at Chart Leacon, Ashford [17/10]
Ex SWT 73201 at St Leonards Depot [16/10]
66705 on an engineers train with 66702 at Lancing [15/10]

Photos @ http://craigrailpics.fotopic.net/c1588240_16.html

Comments Welcomed :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crompton Karl

Nice pics Craig, shame the sun wasn't more favourable at the Bluebell, a couple of years ago i wne to the Bluebell about this time of year and most of my shots were too shaddowy because of the position of the sun, especially at Sheffield Park shed where the position to view the locos always meant you were shooting into the sun or at a funny angle, i wish they'd allow a better viewing area to get better shots at the Bluebell.

Otherwise it looked like a good Gala.

Karl :)

CraigS

Established Member
Cheers Karl. The sun was a bit of a pain. The sun was in a good-ish position for shots of the B4 and 21C123 (shame the MLS stand was put in front of it), but not 1618 and 928 sadly. It was nice seeing the out of ticket locos out on display though, something I wished they would do for years. At least it weren't pouring hard with rain like it was at the 2006 Giants of Steam Gala :lol:

It was good gala, shame the Jinty failed though.

34067James

Nice shots Craig 8-)Was 34007 out in action or she due an overhaul.

Just wondering what camera do you have as I am getting a new one for Xmas.

James

Last edited:

CraigS

Established Member

Your really missing it, aren't you? :lol:

Nice shots Craig 8-)Was 34007 out in action or she due an overhaul.

Just wondering what camera do you have as I am getting a new one for Xmas.

Cheers James. 34007 wasn't in action at the Bluebell because it wasn't there. It's at the Mid Hants Railway. Would've been nice if it had visited again though :) 34007 won't be due a major overhaul for another 8 or 9 years.

I use a fuji finepix S5600 :smile:

34067James

Your really missing it, aren't you? :lol:

Cheers James. 34007 wasn't in action at the Bluebell because it wasn't there. It's at the Mid Hants Railway. Would've been nice if it had visited again though :) 34007 won't be due a major overhaul for another 8 or 9 years.

I use a fuji finepix S5600 :smile:

Sorry Craig thats the wrong one I ment 34023 Blackmoor Vale and WC/BofB classes is ment to be one off me favorite steamers :oops:

Is that any good the fuji finepix S5600 I was thinking off getting the Nikon D40 :?:

James

CraigS

Established Member
Sorry Craig thats the wrong one I ment 34023 Blackmoor Vale and WC/BofB classes is ment to be one off me favorite steamers :oops:

Is that any good the fuji finepix S5600 I was thinking off getting the Nikon D40 :?:

James

I had a feeling you got the wrong Spam Can :lol:. Sadly 21C123 (34023) has been withdrawn from traffic and is now awaiting overhaul before it can return to use. Boiler problems have prevented it from using up the remaining couple of years on it's boiler certificate :(.

The fuji finepix S5600 is quite a good camera :).

34067James

I had a feeling you got the wrong Spam Can :lol:. Sadly 21C123 (34023) has been withdrawn from traffic and is now awaiting overhaul before it can return to use. Boiler problems have prevented it from using up the remaining couple of years on it's boiler certificate :(.

The fuji finepix S5600 is quite a good camera :).

thats sad news so they just leave her now till her ticket runs out or have they got under overhaul already? And 34007 is not at the Mid hants at the moment she at WSR unless she gone back tothe Watercress line.

Well its either the fuji finepix S5600 or a Nikon D40 :D

James

JoshW1992

Established Member
Brilliant shots Craig. I love the Bluebell, as it is so well preserved, and perfect for photography. I'd love to go and do some linesiding down there sometime! :)

Also, you were lucky to see that Pink Ped, thats the one I like! Shame I missed it. Maybe next time! :)

CraigS

Established Member
thats sad news so they just leave her now till her ticket runs out or have they got under overhaul already? And 34007 is not at the Mid hants at the moment she at WSR unless she gone back tothe Watercress line.

34023/21C123 will have to wait her turn for overhaul which won't be for a few years yet :(. Rebuilt Battle of Britain no. 34059 should be steaming by the end of this year/start of next year, so it shouldn't be long until we hear a Bulleid on the Bluebell again. :D

I believe 34007 is now back at the MHR after it's visit to the WSR for their Steam Gala on 2-5 Oct. There's a photo of Wadebridge on the MHR's website showing it working an Alton-Alresford service.

Brilliant shots Craig. I love the Bluebell, as it is so well preserved, and perfect for photography. I'd love to go and do some linesiding down there sometime! :)

Also, you were lucky to see that Pink Ped, thats the one I like! Shame I missed it. Maybe next time! :)

Cheers Josh. I'll have to do some linesiding there too sometime, maybe at the Branchline Weekend in February, the K&ESR's P class should be visiting :).

Last edited:

34067James

34023/21C123 will have to wait her turn for overhaul which won't be for a few years yet :(. Rebuilt Battle of Britain no. 34059 should be steaming by the end of this year/start of next year, so it shouldn't be long until we hear a Bulleid on the Bluebell again. :D

I believe 34007 is now back at the MHR after it's visit to the WSR for their Steam Gala on 2-5 Oct. There's a photo of Wadebridge on the MHR's website showing it working an Alton-Alresford service.

Cheers Josh. I'll have to do some linesiding there too sometime, maybe at the Branchline Weekend in February, the K&ESR's P class should be visiting :).

Yeah think you right craig its back at Mid Hants I want WC Swanage to be up and running again but I hear she in a sad state in the sidings :( Yeah be good to see 34059 running I think I might have to pay a visit to the bluebell that weekend too be first time I been there.

James

CraigS

Established Member
Ah, sounds good. I might have to make an appearance :)

You know you want to ;). Three SE&CR liveried locos in action together. Maybe they will get the H class out of the shed and get it lined up with the C, O1 and P :D.

Yeah think you right craig its back at Mid Hants I want WC Swanage to be up and running again but I hear she in a sad state in the sidings :(

34105 is indeed in a bit of a state, as you can see in this shot. It's another Bulleid I would like to see running one day, will have to wait a few years though.

If you guys are gonna Lineside count me in, however, how do you apply to do this?

This page on the Bluebell's website tells you about lineside permits on the Bluebell, but I think what Josh and I meant was linesiding in fields, on bridges and at crossings. It's free doing it that way :lol:. Wouldn't mind getting a lineside permit for the Bluebell one day though :).

Crompton Karl

Well why not make that Branchline weekend a Lineside weekend for us? It would be great to get some different views while putting some money in the Bluebells coffers at the same time, however, i'll be cool with whatever is decided.

CraigS

Established Member
Well why not make that Branchline weekend a Lineside weekend for us? It would be great to get some different views while putting some money in the Bluebells coffers at the same time, however, i'll be cool with whatever is decided.

That's not a bad idea, will have to see nearer the time :)

34067James

Sad state indeed. IIRC 34073 is up for sale for £285,000 :shock:. I think I read somewhere that if it isn't purchased, it will be scrapped :(.

Wears me wallet , that is bad news I tought if she not brought use her for spares to Tangmere.

I think we should start the Save 34073 249 Squadron campaign.

If it is scraped it be very sad :cry:

James

Last edited:

CraigS

Established Member
Wears me wallet , that is bad news I tought if she not brought use her for spares to Tangmere.

I think we should start the Save 34073 249 Squadron campaign.

If it is scraped it be very sad :cry:

James

I believe she's already given up a few parts for Tangmere, which I think is the reason why it moved from the Mid Hants Railway to the East Lancs Railway.

Will be sad if she is scrapped. If it doesn't get sold, keeping it/breaking it up for spares might be better idea than scrapping the lot, owners of other Bulleid Pacifics may be able to benefit then.

I think it would've been sold years ago and possibly being restored now, had it not been for the £285,000 price tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.