• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bluestar Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nw1

Established Member
Southampton once had a bus station. Stagecoach bought Hants and Dorset, and sold off the bus station for redevelopment. The beginnings of the Stagecoach empire!

So we've got Mr Souter to blame for the lack of a Southampton bus station! ;)

It actually wasn't until 2006.

Prior to that, Marchwood Motorways operated a number of routes under a franchise agreement with Solent Blue Line (30, 31, 32, 52 and the 18 for a period), where the routes were MM routes running with MM vehicles and staff on MM registrations - so legally, completely Marchwood operations - but paying SBL a franchise fee whereby SBL provided the brand, livery, ticketing systems and marketing, so to the customer, they looked like SBL routes.

As per the arrangement described above, you would actually have travelled on a Marchwood Motorways vehicle.
Interesting, thanks for that. Incidentally was the 52 (and its successor, the 7) 100% Marchwood Motorways? I ask as I remember when the 52 went hourly to Bishops Waltham (late 90s?) some Bishops Waltham shorts were operated by VRs while the 30, 32 and 52 were otherwise worked by a distinctive type of single-decker (sorry, no idea what model) and minibuses. Perhaps the VRs were off the 18?

I also remember there was a morning commuter short journey on the 7 in late 2003 run by a then-new model of double decker, one of the first with an electronic display (this journey started Horton Heath I think) which then went on to work a 26 to Fareham via Botley (remember that) - a regular SBL route.

Thanks also for the rest of your post: very informative.

On another "historical SBL" matter, I remember the re-numbering in May 2003 when many routes were renumbered in a consecutive sequence starting with the 2 (Fair Oak, as now). However there was no route 1 at that time. I'd presume the intention was to renumber the 47 as the 1 in 2003, but for whatever reason, it was never done until Bluestar was launched.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Beemax

It actually wasn't until 2006.

Prior to that, Marchwood Motorways operated a number of routes under a franchise agreement with Solent Blue Line (30, 31, 32, 52 and the 18 for a period), where the routes were MM routes running with MM vehicles and staff on MM registrations - so legally, completely Marchwood operations - but paying SBL a franchise fee whereby SBL provided the brand, livery, ticketing systems and marketing, so to the customer, they looked like SBL routes.
Yes you are correct (and you should know!)

IIRC there was a similar arrangement with Brijan Tours of Botley which ran various double deckers and minibuses mostly for school and contract work, using blueline livery and having the effect of expanding the Blueline brand so it looked like an even bigger operation than it actually was.

PhilStockley

So we've got Mr Souter to blame for the lack of a Southampton bus station! ;)
Not so much the bus station, but famously he sold the depot for more than he paid for the entire company, so I suspect he would be very happy to take the blame for that!

Interesting, thanks for that. Incidentally was the 52 (and its successor, the 7) 100% Marchwood Motorways? I ask as I remember when the 52 went hourly to Bishops Waltham (late 90s?) some Bishops Waltham shorts were operated by VRs while the 30, 32 and 52 were otherwise worked by a distinctive type of single-decker (sorry, no idea what model) and minibuses. Perhaps the VRs were off the 18?
Yes, I think there were odd journeys that were operated by SBL rather than MM. Anything with a VR would definitely have been SBL - MM never ran those I don't think. The single deckers would most likely have been their Optare Deltas - a superb, game changing design in my view.

IIRC there was a similar arrangement with Brijan Tours of Botley which ran various double deckers and minibuses mostly for school and contract work, using blueline livery and having the effect of expanding the Blueline brand so it looked like an even bigger operation than it actually was.

Yes, this is true. Although as I remember, the key difference was that the MM routes were commercial routes where it suited MM to pay SBL a franchise fee to take care of all the marketing, publicity etc as it would give them a greater prominence in the market than they could achieve running in their own brand (in the same way that most high street franchises - McDonalds, Subway etc - work), whereas the Brijan routes were council contracts that were subcontracted to Brijan to take advantage of their lower costs.

On another "historical SBL" matter, I remember the re-numbering in May 2003 when many routes were renumbered in a consecutive sequence starting with the 2 (Fair Oak, as now). However there was no route 1 at that time. I'd presume the intention was to renumber the 47 as the 1 in 2003, but for whatever reason, it was never done until Bluestar was launched.

No, the 2003 exercise was all about redesigning the Eastleigh network as part of what was defined as a 'Quality Network' partnership with Hampshire - essentially pooling the commercial revenue and subsidy to create something greater than its parts (and also saw the introduction of the Mini Pointer Darts to replace Ivecos and update the image). As part of this, half of the 15 minute headway between Eastleigh and North Stoneham became the 3, and the other half - the 48 - was renumbered the 2 so that the combined local service would be the 2 and 3 rather than the 3 and 48 - much more intuitive for customers. I don't specifically know why 1 wasn't used - it was before my time - but the 47 was never part of the exercise.

There was never an intention to renumber 47 until I arrived in 2004 and we decided to rebrand the Southampton interurban network as 'Bluestar' and we wanted a nice simple numbering scheme. Normally, renumbering established routes is something to be done with great care, but as this was a complete relaunch, we decided to go for it, with Bluestar 1, 2, 3, 4 etc to replace the 47, 2, 26 and 15 and we needed that simplicity to get across the core Bluestar concepts of frequent, simple and reliable.

It was a convenient coincidence that the 2 had already been done, so it was obvious then that the 47 should be Bluestar 1. It was internally very controversial - it was made very clear to me that it had been the 47 since the 1920s and I I changed it at my peril - but it is a rare case study of where it sometimes does work to change a number, delivering as it did immense patronage growth and really forming the cornerstone of a network that has changed very little (apart from having more added) to this day.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
^The Hants and Dorset Depot was actually about half a mile from the bus station, behind the old coach station at Grosvenor Square
I thought it was one site - thanks for correcting me
I presume at that point all the Solent Blue Line services transferred to Eastleigh. (I don't think Totton depot existed back then, so even the Waterside routes were presumably operated out of Eastleigh?)

The maintenance did, but Blueline also used a large yard roughly where the Siemens Northam SWR depot is now. The Totton depot was acquired together with Marchwood Motorways some time in the 90s.
It was some road called ?????? Terrace, I seem to vaguely recall
Southampton once had a bus station. Stagecoach bought Hants and Dorset, and sold off the bus station for redevelopment. The beginnings of the Stagecoach empire!
It was Hampshire Bus - H&D ceased to exist in 1983 when it was split up. Correct it was one of the initial Stagecoach subsidiaries

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
We are somewhat drifting off-topic with the the historical musings.

nw1

Established Member
No, the 2003 exercise was all about redesigning the Eastleigh network as part of what was defined as a 'Quality Network' partnership with Hampshire -
Again many thanks for your explanation but I'd best stop there in view of @GusB's post!

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Bus & Coach Buyer is reporting that Bluestar is taking on drivers affected by the withdrawal of CityRed services.

Go Ahead-Group-owned Bluestar is taking on employees affected by First’s upcoming departure from Southampton.

First is due to withdraw its CityRed services in Southampton from 19 February 2023.

Bluestar has been hosting recruitment days for drivers affected by First’s decision, with the operator saying the events have exceeded all expectations.

“More than 140 new employees have signed up to work with us when we expand our operation in February” – Bluestar managing director, Andrew Wickham

“We’re delighted by the response we’ve seen from drivers who wish to join the Bluestar team from 19 February,” said Bluestar managing director, Andrew Wickham.

“More than 140 new employees have signed up to work with us when we expand our operation in February. And, with drivers and buses in place, we are ready to take to the roads of Southampton in areas that would otherwise have no service.”

Bluestar is to operate six new routes in the region from 19 February and is to run the Bluestar 19 between Lordshill and Thornhill every 15 minutes on weekdays, rather than every 20 minutes.

First Bus drivers, cleaners and engineers who have not already done so are still encouraged to apply for roles at Bluestar.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Glad to see that Bluestar have signed up a good number of additional drivers for the routes that they are going to be running. I see that the timetables are now available on Bluestar's website - https://www.bluestarbus.co.uk/new-bluestar-bus-routes-19-feburary-2023 -and among the differences is that the 13 runs later into the evening than its current First equivalent. Services 19, 20 also have later finishes and, in one or two cases (Service 19) slightly earlier starts. The section of Service 8 between Aldermoor and City Centre will not continue though.

On another thought I guess that Bluestar are needing extra vehicles for these new routes: any ideas what vehicles are (or might be) incoming?

Dave

gka472l

Glad to see that Bluestar have signed up a good number of additional drivers for the routes that they are going to be running. I see that the timetables are now available on Bluestar's website - https://www.bluestarbus.co.uk/new-bluestar-bus-routes-19-feburary-2023 -and among the differences is that the 13 runs later into the evening than its current First equivalent. Services 19, 20 also have later finishes and, in one or two cases (Service 19) slightly earlier starts. The section of Service 8 between Aldermoor and City Centre will not continue though.

On another thought I guess that Bluestar are needing extra vehicles for these new routes: any ideas what vehicles are (or might be) incoming?

Dave

A number of Wright bodied Volvo double deckers have made the trip south from Go North East.....formerly numbered in the 69** series and new to London.

HTH

Dorsetbus

A number of Wright bodied Volvo double deckers have made the trip south from Go North East.....formerly numbered in the 69** series and new to London.

HTH
Another page says 18 are on the way. 14 for blue star and 4 for morebus which in turn would allow 4 e400 bluestar vehicles to leave Bournemouth and back to bluestar.

DaveHarries

Established Member

HTH
Ah, 06 p[late. Thanks for that info: The GNE fleetlist on their website shows 5x 06 plate Wright Deckers in the 69xx series I doubt they would use deckers on the Hamble route though which I think, under First, has been the haunt of Streetlites and old-type Enviro200.

Dave

hst43102

Ah, 06 p[late. Thanks for that info: The GNE fleetlist on their website shows 5x 06 plate Wright Deckers in the 69xx series I doubt they would use deckers on the Hamble route though which I think, under First, has been the haunt of Streetlites and old-type Enviro200.

Dave
GNE had 19 LX06 B7's in that series - 6901 to 6919. I think only 18 are being transferred - 6916 and 6919 were recently used for spare parts at Hexham so I suspect one of those might be scrapped instead.

DaveHarries

Established Member
GNE had 19 LX06 B7's in that series - 6901 to 6919. I think only 18 are being transferred - 6916 and 6919 were recently used for spare parts at Hexham so I suspect one of those might be scrapped instead.
Another page says 18 are on the way. 14 for blue star and 4 for morebus which in turn would allow 4 e400 bluestar vehicles to leave Bournemouth and back to bluestar.
I guess that the 14 for Bluestar will help to provide vehicles for the BS14 (FS8) and BS19 (FS3) but I wouldn't have thought that deckers would be used for the BS10 (FS9), BS13 (FS13), BS15 (FS6) & BS20 (FS7) which First have always used single-deckers for so I wonder if some single-deckers might be incoming too. Time will tell.

Dave

baza585

I guess that the 14 for Bluestar will help to provide vehicles for the BS14 (FS8) and BS19 (FS3) but I wouldn't have thought that deckers would be used for the BS10 (FS9), BS13 (FS13), BS15 (FS6) & BS20 (FS7) which First have always used single-deckers for so I wonder if some single-deckers might be incoming too. Time will tell.

Dave
City Red only had a few deckers which were deployed on the 3. Given the reduction in frequency on this route, I suspect it will be deckers. Nothing else needs to be.

The reality is Bluestar can't be choosy about what buses they get in the short term; I estimate the additional PVR is 24 so about 27 buses needed. Running deckers where singles are adequate has a cost but not big bucks in the overall scheme of things for the short term.

The withdrawal of Xelabus from Bournemouth adds a further layer of complexity. There are 3 tendered routes (PVR 6) plus a further 12-15 schools. If Go South Coast get the tenders for all these, they will be seriously short of vehicles! Unless they pass on some of Bluestar's college routes to Xelabus, which might suit both parties.

Interesting times...

Last edited by a moderator:

markymark2000

On Moderation
The withdrawal of Xelabus from Bournemouth adds a further layer of complexity. There are 3 tendered routes (PVR 6) plus a further 12-15 schools. If Go South Coast get the tenders for all these, they will be seriously short of vehicles! Unless they pass on some of Bluestar's college routes to Xelabus, which might suit both parties.
How busy are Exelsior and Damory buses during peak times. Couldn't these operating companies take on some more work like the schools? Also how busy is Southern Vectis with it being off season, do they have a few buses spare which could nip over to help out

AwkwardHail

How busy are Exelsior and Damory buses during peak times. Couldn't these operating companies take on some more work like the schools? Also how busy is Southern Vectis with it being off season, do they have a few buses spare which could nip over to help out
They’re all really the same company, although different drivers are employed on different terms. The ones on Damory terms generally operate school runs anyway, even if they’re using a more bus or otherwise.

Go North East 6901-6913/15/16/19 have disappeared on bustimes.org, so I suspect that's 16 of them identified.

Surreyman

City Red only had a few deckers which were deployed on the 3. Given the reduction in frequency on this route, I suspect it will be deckers. Nothing else needs to be.

The reality is Bluestar can't be choosy about what buses they get in the short term; I estimate the additional PVR is 24 so about 27 buses needed. Running deckers where singles are adequate has a cost but not big bucks in the overall scheme of things for the short term.

Interesting times...
GO South Coast have a number of older delicensed vehicles (approx. 35 by my reckoning but of course many of these may be beyond economical repair). Swindon have 8 2010 Optare Versas currently parked up, which could be brought back into service.

I would imagine that GSC/Bluestar would try and avoid using too many older vehicles directly on the ex City red routes (you can imagine the cheap headline "Bluestar using 17 year old buses") the B7TLs/older E400 maybe used on existing Bluestar routes and more modern vehicles used on ex City Red routes.

As far as I am aware, (happy to be corrected) there are no height/length restrictions on any of the City Red routes, many existing Bluestar 'deckers are full height, and the longer Streetlite Maxes (usually used on route 3 )have at times operated on all routes.

baza585

GO South Coast have a number of older delicensed vehicles (approx. 35 by my reckoning but of course many of these may be beyond economical repair). Swindon have 8 2010 Optare Versas currently parked up, which could be brought back into service.

I would imagine that GSC/Bluestar would try and avoid using too many older vehicles directly on the ex City red routes (you can imagine the cheap headline "Bluestar using 17 year old buses") the B7TLs/older E400 maybe used on existing Bluestar routes and more modern vehicles used on ex City Red routes.

As far as I am aware, (happy to be corrected) there are no height/length restrictions on any of the City Red routes, many existing Bluestar 'deckers are full height, and the longer Streetlite Maxes (usually used on route 3 )have at times operated on all routes.
I understand that they are scouring the Group for available vehicles. London may be able to help but that may not occur.

I believe the problem is short term because the Unilink fleet, which numbers 32, is due for replacement later this year.

The Versas are an option, but I think if used are perhaps more likely to stay in Swindon to release other vehicles. I have no doubt they will resurrect what they can economically from the whole reserve fleet.

The dual door ex Go North East B7TLs are not ideal but could backfill on college services to release newer stock, or may be concentrated mainly on one route (the 19).

There are no relevant low bridges but using longer Streetlite Max on the 9 proved a bit of a challenge I seem to recall.

Dorsetbus

I understand that they are scouring the Group for available vehicles. London may be able to help but that may not occur.

I believe the problem is short term because the Unilink fleet, which numbers 32, is due for replacement later this year.

The Versas are an option, but I think if used are perhaps more likely to stay in Swindon to release other vehicles. I have no doubt they will resurrect what they can economically from the whole reserve fleet.

The dual door ex Go North East B7TLs are not ideal but could backfill on college services to release newer stock, or may be concentrated mainly on one route (the 19).

There are no relevant low bridges but using longer Streetlite Max on the 9 proved a bit of a challenge I seem to recall.
The 32 unilink buses are going nowhere.

Beemax

I think they tried, and failed, to get ZEBRA funding to replace all 32 vehicles with electric buses. The unilink contract lasts until 2028 so with the current fleet being 5 years old it would make sense to replace them this year if they're going to replace them at all .

cnjb8

Established Member
GoAhead London has won a lot of tenders for 2023, with a lot of new buses on order, so hopefully Bluestar will receive some London deckers by the end of the year

Surreyman

GoAhead London has won a lot of tenders for 2023, with a lot of new buses on order, so hopefully Bluestar will receive some London deckers by the end of the year
I keep detailed notes on London tender awards/new vehicle orders, so certainly possible but ex London are going to be circa 2009/2010 B9s or E400, on the positive side they will be Euro 6 compliant and the E400s will be very similar to Bluestars existing dual door 10.2m highbridge fleet but still 12/13 years old.
Playing 'guessing games' with the finances, Bluestar have reportedly taken on approximately 140 ex First staff, so a big increase in payroll from the end of February, some of them will make up for existing staff shortages. On the plus side, no additional depot(s) required (I assume all the extra PVR can be accommodated at Eastleigh).
It will be estimated/hoped that the income/revenue from the ex City Red operations will cover the additional payroll costs.
So older vehicles probably the prudent solution.

MotCO

Established Member
Go Ahead Metrobus are expecting electric E400s very soon to replace the temporary allocation of diesel E400s on routes 119 and 264. Thus there will be some spare buses, unless they are already spoken for.

Dorsetbus

Carefully worded They may have amended the order to single door. Or they may have cancelled it completely.

Both the Uni and Go South Coast would like to electrify the service but the recent Zebra bid was rejected, although I suspect there will be more bidding rounds at some point.

Id also suggest that the fleet had an easy start with covid.

Rumour has it that Bournemouth is getting 28 400mmc in july for the m1 and old yellow 5's

dgl

Established Member

Interesting times...
I wonder if it came to it an no one else could do it could First take on any contracts in the Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole (BCP) area, they already operate two services to Poole, multiple schools services elsewhere in Dorset and with no current plans for a low emissions zone they wouldn't have to be too picky as to what is used, but again depots, drivers and buses would be the sticking point.

Megafuss

Disappointed they are keeping the Saturday buses to Hamble at every 60 minutes. Of course they won't know the exact passenger data. But, every time I've used it, the Streetlite has been full and standing by Netley.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see that change, assuming they have the drivers of course.

Go Ahead Metrobus are expecting electric E400s very soon to replace the temporary allocation of diesel E400s on routes 119 and 264. Thus there will be some spare buses, unless they are already spoken for.
All of that batch except Ee75 have already entered service on the 119 & 264 in the last few weeks. About 9 of those hybrids that these electrics replaced are likely due for River Road when they gain the 368 from Arriva at the end of April, while the rest are also likely to move onto another London route replacing older buses.

baza585

Id also suggest that the fleet had an easy start with covid.

Rumour has it that Bournemouth is getting 28 400mmc in july for the m1 and old yellow 5's
That would make sense. The m1 needs to be deckered (and always has in my opinion).

The m2 less so while it runs alongside the 1/1a/1b, though there are good PVR savings available if they do decide to amalgamate these services.

Not sure about brand new deckers on the 5/5a though. There is a long history of the local pond life using them as target practice.....

Status
Not open for further replies.