• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BMI 34. Pass driver medical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WombleGuard

Hi all,

Driver Medical coming up. BMI is 34 but coming down slowly. Heart is fine. Mobility fine.

Will that BMI be ok?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

irish_rail

Established Member
I've a feeling 35 is the max but don't quote me on that. Might be different on a case by case basis?

Mattydo

They aren't all that concerned about BMI. In fact a recent medical examiner said quote "we don't really look at it in isolation". It'll be if you have any other risk factors such as high BP, high body fat %, sleep apnoea etc. That will cause a referral.

If you're in generally good health but have a high BMI it isn't likely to be something to worry about.

SteveL9

BMI in isolation is useless as it doesn’t take in to account muscle mass which could make a perfectly healthy athlete be classified as overweight.

greatkingrat

Established Member
BMI in isolation is useless as it doesn’t take in to account muscle mass which could make a perfectly healthy athlete be classified as overweight.
Whether it gives an accurate result for Tyson Fury or a professional rugby player is irrelevant to the 99.9% of people who are not highly trained athletes though!

Applepie356

If you suffer from weight-related problems like T2 diabetes, heart issues, high BP, mobility, sleep apnea, etc then you may get referred for further investigation.

Otherwise if you are overweight but healthy then you should have nothing to worry about.

Mattydo

Whether it gives an accurate result for Tyson Fury or a professional rugby player is irrelevant to the 99.9% of people who are not highly trained athletes though!
I think highly trained athlete is a stretch. Pretty much any gym head weight lifter will return a high BMI.

LoogaBarooga

If you suffer from weight-related problems like T2 diabetes, heart issues, high BP, mobility, sleep apnea, etc then you may get referred for further investigation.

Otherwise if you are overweight but healthy then you should have nothing to worry about.
Overweight and healthy? Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron?

RyanC87

There isn't a cut off. As long ad no underlying issues you'll be fine. 34 is quite good looking around the messrooms

Had my medical recently, my BMI was a tad high so I had my neck measured and asked some lifestyle questions. Like people say as long as youre in good health its not an issue.

The woman doing mine said BMI was going in the near future anyway and they will use waist and neck measurement instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.