• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BMI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DriverEight

Does anyone no if there are current BMI requirements in the medical? I've heard a lot of people say that these measurements are no longer used as they don't take enough information into account.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mattydo

Your BMI will be taken but the allowance is pretty generously above the BMI of <25 considered to be healthy. I would, I assume, think that if you had a high BMI and were muscular they would do a body fat percentage check. However if you’re carrying a few extra pounds (I certainly am) I wouldn’t worry. I believe 33 is the cut off before some extra testing is required, which is well into the “obese” zone.

DriverEight

Your BMI will be taken but the allowance is pretty generously above the BMI of <25 considered to be healthy. I would, I assume, think that if you had a high BMI and were muscular they would do a body fat percentage check. However if you’re carrying a few extra pounds (I certainly am) I wouldn’t worry. I believe 33 is the cut off before some extra testing is required, which is well into the “obese” zone.
I am above 33, but I'm not grossly overweight. I'm over 6ft tall, but have only got a 28 inch inside leg (childhood illness, long story). This means that I have a lot of body, roughly equivalent to a 6'3" man. I'm also VERY broad shouldered and muscular and I have a neck like a bull. I'm generally healthy, good blood pressure, don't drink, don't smoke, no diabetes. So, while I could definitely stand to drop a few pounds, I'm worried that my BMI will automatically fail me

Stigy

Established Member
I am above 33, but I'm not grossly overweight. I'm over 6ft tall, but have only got a 28 inch inside leg (childhood illness, long story). This means that I have a lot of body, roughly equivalent to a 6'3" man. I'm also VERY broad shouldered and muscular and I have a neck like a bull. I'm generally healthy, good blood pressure, don't drink, don't smoke, no diabetes. So, while I could definitely stand to drop a few pounds, I'm worried that my BMI will automatically fail me
I wouldn’t overly worry about it. They may advise you to lose some weight etc, but as long as you can move freely and it doesn’t hinder you in any way, it’ll be fine.

Mattydo

As I say being over 33 isn’t a problem as long as other things are all in line and they are happy with your overall health.

Status
Not open for further replies.