• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boarding a bus that departs at 9.30am with a free pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Am I likely to have problems Boarding a bus that departs at 9.30am with a free pass? I know the pass isn't valid until 9.30 and I could imagine it being rejected when they start boarding. The bus concerned is the 9.30am X3 from Canterbury bus station

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike99

No, no problems boarding at 09:30 with a pass valid from 09:30 with a bus departure at 09:30

fandroid

Established Member
Local (Stagecoach) buses here in Hampshire have set the contactless ticket machines to accept passes a few minutes before 09.30, so spot on 09.30 departures shouldn't be a problem. If the bus arrives early at the stop they don't want a crowd of us oldies lurking at the door, then all fighting to get on when the bus should be moving!

gray1404

Established Member
That's my fear that the machine won't accept the pass until 9.30 but it's due to depart at that time. So if I wait until 9.30 it will be moving. I notice they allow you to board a few minutes before departure at Canterbury.

LUYMun

Generally, you won't be "twirly" if your bus leaves at 9.30, though I believe there are some exceptions to certain journeys because of their timed nature, such as the first morning journey on White Bus' route 48 (Woking - Frimley).

48 white bus.PNG

Machines will accept passes about 5min before the ‘proper’ time wherever you are, presumably specifically to stop this issue occurring

Eyersey468

Established Member
Machines will accept passes about 5min before the ‘proper’ time wherever you are, presumably specifically to stop this issue occurring
Of course the issue then is when the service is due somewhere at say 0926 or 0927, we used to have a service that got to a village at 0926 and every day they would be pleading to be let off paying the fare to the next village where they could be used from, they shot themselves in the foot though as when the service was retimed it was changed to arrive at 0912 so the people in the next village lost out.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Where a bus is operating on a route which runs at best half hourly I think you'll find the operator's decision to time a journey from a terminal at 9.30 a.m. will almost certainly have pass availability in mind. Many operators over the years have retimed journeys in the 9.00 to 9.30 period to reflect this. TfL and one or two other operators in cities, on the other hand, may not have! Mind you, the number of TfL routes only running at 30 minute intervals at best is small.

WM Bus

In the West Midlands you can board for free from 9.28am and the machine always accepts passes from that time onwards. Before that time in the West Midlands National Express have a £1 fare for disabled/older person pass holders.

Last edited:

duncanp

Established Member
In the West Midlands you can board for free from 9.28am and the machine always accepts passes from that time onwards. Before that time in the West Midlands National Express have a £1 fare for disabled/older person pass holders.

But you still get people chancing it from about 9:20am onwards.

When my mother lived in Poole, her local bus (Breezer 60) had an hourly service which departed from her stop at 24 minutes past the hour, so too early for concessionary pass users. But due to traffic delays and inadequate running time being allowed, the bus was often late, arriving at the stop after 09:30. All the "twirlies" cottoned on to this and would hang around the bus stop hoping that it was sufficiently late so that they could use their passes. Of course every so often miracles would happen and the bus would arrive on time, resulting in sometimes heated arguments.

The law does allow bus companies and local authorities to designated a journey that starts before 09:30 as off peak, if the frequency is such that making people wait for the first post 09:30 journey would cause hardship or an excessively long wait, as in the example above from Woking.

Some drivers can be very petty, if the bus wasn't busy and it was after 9am I would let pensioners on free, what's the harm?

Mind, you could use your library ticket on my bus.

John B

Some drivers can be very petty, if the bus wasn't busy and it was after 9am I would let pensioners on free, what's the harm?

Mind, you could use your library ticket on my bus.
Would you do that if you worked on a supermarket checkout. Don’t bother scanning that tin of beans. What’s the harm?

MotCO

Established Member
Would the answer be to have a 50p fare (or whatever) to allow pensioners on before 9.30 to take them to the stop where the bus arrives at 9.30 to make the pass valid?

Eyersey468

Established Member
There is no comparison. Making a pensioner stand around pointlessly makes no one any money. Letting them on costs no one any money.

Have a bit of compassion man.
I get what you are saying but where do you draw the line? If you do it for one you have to do it for everyone else

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The original question appears to have been answered, so we'll call it a day. Thanks for your input, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.