• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BOC Tanks on WCML and branches

MarkWi72

As a kid, back in the 80s, I used to see near my home (Dudley Port) 6F57 BOC tanks around 4pm (after school) from Wolverhampton to Ditton. Usually a 40 or doubled headed 25s. The sidings at Wolverhampton had no OLE. I know there were electrically hauled workings too - not sure where they went (this was on WCML proper - southwards).

Anyone else know when these stopped? Any photos anywhere?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterC

Established Member
Some ended up being unloaded at Bow. I used to see these when I commuted into Liverpool Street in the 80s. No idea when it ceases I am afraid.

Andy R. A.

There used to be a BOC tanker working between Widnes and North Wembley. Electric hauled on most of its journey.
6F38 1358 North Wembley to Widnes (empty)
6A50 0116 Widnes to North Wembley (loaded)
Not sure when this rail traffic ceased ? I believe that BOC still has a site at North Wembley, but no longer rail served. Think it was still running up to the 1990s at least ?

Memories live on in a smaller world.

10609.JPG

Andy R. A.

Thank you. I follow that model rail layout on You Tube. Fantastic modelling. Are those TEA tanks scratch built?
The BOC tankers were made by converting standard TEAs using bits of Plastruct and left over bits of balsa and plasticard, and removing and filling in the standard TEA filling points.

SHH08.JPGSHH09.JPGSHH10.JPGSHH12.JPG

randyrippley

Established Member
In view of that it's interesting that BOC seems to have never shipped liquid carbon dioxide by rail to Heysham or (AFAIK) the other AGR nuclear sites, all of which used it for cooling. Used to be several lorries a day, every day. In retrospect it would have seemed to be a natural traffic for rail especially given the poor road access to Heysham

stj

In view of that it's interesting that BOC seems to have never shipped liquid carbon dioxide by rail to Heysham or (AFAIK) the other AGR nuclear sites, all of which used it for cooling. Used to be several lorries a day, every day. In retrospect it would have seemed to be a natural traffic for rail especially given the poor road access to Heysham
I used to work for ICI and we supplied CO2 to Nuclear Sites it was a byproduct from Fertiliser production.Maybe BOC did not have the contract.

randyrippley

Established Member
I used to work for ICI and we supplied CO2 to Nuclear Sites it was a byproduct from Fertiliser production.Maybe BOC did not have the contract.
At differing times both BOC and Air Products trucks brought it in at Heysham. Later Air Liquide. Never saw an ICI one.
Thinking about it though it's been several years since I saw one so not sure who does it now

MadMac

BOC had a small siding at Carfin (on the Wishaw line). I would surmise that whatever traffic used it would be a trip to/from Mossend.

xotGD

Established Member
Just to note that rail transport of liquid CO2 may be returning in the next few years as part of the roll out of carbon capture and storage.