• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Book for complete novice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugo

Can anyone recommend a guide to the different classes of locomotives? Ideally an illustrated book that covers steam and the older diesel and electric for example diesel class 37 or 40. It's the very beginning of a new hobby; I missed out in the 50s when my friends went spotting at Crewe and I went fishing. Thank you Hugo

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Keith Jarrett

Hugo, you seem to be sorted for diesel & electric locos but not steam. There are some "coffee table" books on British steam locos but these are generally not aimed at the enthusiast. Platform 5's book on preserved locos gives you some technical details and where they can be found along with photos and things such as names carried. The 2018 edition has just been published but I might still have a 2016 edition knocking around which I could sell you knocked down (no one wants the old one now!) or alternatively, Steam Railway magazine did a comprehensive guide to preserved locos a few months back.

Hugo

Hugo, you seem to be sorted for diesel & electric locos but not steam. There are some "coffee table" books on British steam locos but these are generally not aimed at the enthusiast. Platform 5's book on preserved locos gives you some technical details and where they can be found along with photos and things such as names carried. The 2018 edition has just been published but I might still have a 2016 edition knocking around which I could sell you knocked down (no one wants the old one now!) or alternatively, Steam Railway magazine did a comprehensive guide to preserved locos a few months back.
Thank you Steve for your recommendations and kind offer. Following your lead I have managed to buy a 'bookazine' by Steam Railway magazine on preserved British railway locos that seems to fit the bill. many thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.