• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Booked train has disappeared off National Rail website

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielDeronda

I'm booked on an advance single between Euston & Nuneaton on Sunday 24tb September.

Was due to depart @ 0816 arr Nuneaton 0945 for a connection to Crewe at 1005, then a connection to Liverpool arr 1215.

But the Euston to Nuneaton service has disappeared from NR website. What options do I have as I don't have enough time to get to Euston for an earlier service. And the next service to Nuneaton is too late.

Can I get a full refund from website I bought ticket? As likely need to buy new ticket direct from EUS to LIV

I don't think I've had a stress free journey in last few months!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mangyiscute

Established Member
Did you book the journey as one through ticket, or is it split ticketed? Do you think you could give use details of what tickets you bought?
You will be able to refund the tickets from your point of purchase, and buy a new ticket. Alternatively, you may be able to use this ticket on a later service, but it depends on exactly what tickets you have.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Looking at other weekends, I can see this train scheduled, for example here: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:L33652/2023-10-22/detailed

Is there any chance op has bought the ticket for the wrong day?
Found it now - it's been retimed to leave Euston at 07:42 (schedule changed on 13/9). There is, however, another Avanti service at 08:20 (to Liverpool!) with a call at Tamworth that would connect into the same service as was planned to be boarded at Nuneaton.

DanielDeronda

Did you book the journey as one through ticket, or is it split ticketed? Do you think you could give use details of what tickets you bought?
You will be able to refund the tickets from your point of purchase, and buy a new ticket. Alternatively, you may be able to use this ticket on a later service, but it depends on exactly what tickets you have.
Here's my original itinerary on Sunday 24th September. Booked on GWR.com

0620 Reading to Paddington arr 0712
Tube across to Euston Square & then walk to Euston station, travelcard

0816 Euston to Nuneaton arr 0945, advance single (AWC) £6.60 with railcard

1005 Nuneaton to Crewe arr 1105, advance single (WMR) £5.25

1143 Crewe to Liverpool arr 1218, off peak day return, £9.15

1743 Liverpool to Crewe arr 1821, return for above day return

1913 Crewe to Euston arr 2157, advance single, £6.70 WMR only

travel across London to get train from Paddington to Reading.

The 0816 from Euston has now disappeared, next service to Nuneaton only arrives at 1103 which means I miss the connection to Crewe & only arrive at LIV 45mins before the 2pm KO if everything is running on time.

The 2 earlier services depart at 0742 & 0751. But I now only get into Paddington at 0731 instead of the scheduled 0712 & the 0751 departure only arrives 2mins b4 the 1005 connection & the earlier service has only 11mins connection from Paddington to Euston

I need to get to Liverpool by 1300 & back to Euston by 2200 at latest. What options do I have?

I'm actually going to Euston to Liverpool, changing at Nuneaton & Crewe.

On way back, it's Liverpool to Euston changing at Crewe.

Th most pressing journey I'd getting me to Liverpool before 1315 at very latest.

mangyiscute

Established Member
As mentioned above, I would try and use your ticket to travel on the 08:20 avanti service to Tamworth, where you can chance onto your booked wmr service only one stop after nuneaton. However, since this is technically not allowed, I'd recommend getting in contact with avanti and wmr in some way (I am a big fan of dms on twitter as they almost always reply very quickly) and explain the situation and get them to verify that you are allowed to do that, so if anyone then challenges you on the day you can show them some proof that you've been told to do this by an official source.

I would also explain the situation of the train manager of the 08:20 service on the day, and ask if you can just take that train all the way through to liverpool, as it goes to liverpool and you only have a wmr restricted ticket for a short part of the journey. With any luck, you'll get a train manager who is quite nice and they will allow you to do this.

Veteran Member
As mentioned above, I would try and use your ticket to travel on the 08:20 avanti service to Tamworth,
Agreed. Had the 0620 RDG run as booked, you would probably have made the 0742 anyway, but this is a sensible option - essentially, you are showing up at your planned times.

mangyiscute

Established Member
There is still a feasible chance that you make it to Euston for the 07:51, since Paddington to Euston is doable in 20 minutes if you are fast and get a tube show up straight away.
The 07:51 from Euston is in fact the train you are changing onto at Nuneaton, hence why there is such a short amount of time between arriving at Nuneaton and departure, because its the same service.
However, taking this train (if you make it) could still be an issue since you would then be taking a wmr service with an avanti advance, which is not usually allowed, once again if you wish to try this I would speak to the train manager and obtain permission before boarding (plus 3h14 on a class 350 is not pleasant)

Lampshade

Established Member
The 0816 from Euston has now disappeared, next service to Nuneaton only arrives at 1103 which means I miss the connection to Crewe & only arrive at LIV 45mins before the 2pm KO if everything is running on time.
More than enough time, I have run it in 25 minutes, although a taxi or the 917 would be your best bet.

TUC

Established Member
Found it now - it's been retimed to leave Euston at 07:42 (schedule changed on 13/9). There is, however, another Avanti service at 08:20 (to Liverpool!) with a call at Tamworth that would connect into the same service as was planned to be boarded at Nuneaton.
Is there a ready way that a member of the public would be able to know that their 0816 train is now the one at 0742?

avid2424

Can anyone confirm that the forum automatically issues an email re any changes to a journey where the rail tickets were booked through the forum. I certainly receive such emails where an advance ticket has been affected by a strike timetable

Although I seem to have ticked a wrong box when on a different occasion I booked via the Thameslink website. Thameslink claimed that I had opted out of receiving updates even though my Southern train from East Croydon to Southampton was to be replaced by a service departing 45 minutes later and then only to a connecting service with 50 minute wait at the connecting point Worthing. Eventual arrival time following a further connection into a rammed train at Southampton - all booked as one itinerary - was more than two hours later than originally intended

OscarH

Can anyone confirm that the forum automatically issues an email re any changes to a journey where the rail tickets were booked through the forum. I certainly receive such emails where an advance ticket has been affected by a strike timetable
Yeah, sends emails based on the data that every retailer uses

Is there a ready way that a member of the public would be able to know that their 0816 train is now the one at 0742?
Retimings are distributed via the above system. The email the passenger should receive from the retailer should make it clear what's happened

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Can anyone confirm that the forum automatically issues an email re any changes to a journey where the rail tickets were booked through the forum.
What's the relevance of this? The OP states they bought the tickets through GWR.com.

TUC

Established Member
Yeah, sends emails based on the data that every retailer uses

Retimings are distributed via the above system. The email the passenger should receive from the retailer should make it clear what's happened
But if a passenger bought the ticket from a station there would be no means of contacting them. What is the position for a passenger who in good faith turns up at a station at 0800 for a 0816 train for which they have an Advance ticket, only to find it had been retimed to 0742 and already departed?

Haywain

Veteran Member
What is the position for a passenger who in good faith turns up at a station at 0800 for a 0816 train for which they have an Advance ticket, only to find it had been retimed to 0742 and already departed?
In my experience, we would look to accomodate them on an alternative service. That wouldn't necessarily get them to their destination at the same time though.

Adam Williams

Established Member
Can anyone confirm that the forum automatically issues an email re any changes to a journey where the rail tickets were booked through the forum
It will send emails where the Timetable Comparator Service indicates the service in the timetable has changed on a daily basis.

On-the-day cancellations are a different kettle of fish and are currently not really handled acceptably well, in my view.

DanielDeronda

I finally got an email from GWR that the 0816 service I was booked on was no longer running & was now the 0742 service.

I'm looking into contacting AWC re the 0820 service 2 Tamworth or maybe Stafford. I can then pick up my original itinerary up to Liverpool.

I had been looking at the 0800 from Marylebone to Birmingham Moor Street then the WMR to Liverpool, the same service as above. It says on Chiltern Railways the 0800 service is running but other Sundays that service has been cancelled.

God I wished I'd just bitten the bullet & bought the day return from Reading to Liverpool & be done with it!!

mangyiscute

Established Member
Did the gwr email say what to do because of this? Like can you request a refund etc. I'm pretty sure if you wanted to you should be able to request a refund for all of your current tickets and purchase a Reading to Liverpool return, if you wish (although I guess its worth waiting to see what avanti come back and say regarding the 08:20)

DanielDeronda

Did the gwr email say what to do because of this? Like can you request a refund etc. I'm pretty sure if you wanted to you should be able to request a refund for all of your current tickets and purchase a Reading to Liverpool return, if you wish (although I guess its worth waiting to see what avanti come back and say regarding the 08:20)
This is the 2nd leg of the journey that had changed before departure, so the RDG-PAD departure had been moved by 16mins to 0636 & now the EUS-NUN leg has been cancelled so itinerary now saying the 0742 from EUS instead of the 0816.

I spoke to Avanti & all they said was I could either get the 0742 or the 0856 out of EUS of to request a refund from GWR. Because I hadn't bought it from AWC directly.

mangyiscute

Established Member
That's very disappointing from avanti, but I guess I shouldn't hope for too much more from them.
The way i see it you have 3 options:
1) get a full refund on all tickets through gwr and rebook
2) Take the 0856 and get to Liverpool a bit later
3) Turn up to Euston at about 8am and ask the train manager of the 08:20 about taking it to Tamworth, explain the situation (you could feign not realising that the train was cancelled before you got to euston, depends on how deceitful you want to be, but imo avanti should take you on the 08:20 so I wouldn't say this is immoral), and hope that they let you on the train (I'd give it an 80% chance), with the 08:56 as a backup

Haywain

Veteran Member
Apart from anything else, I think this is another case where there might well have been a benefit in booking all of the tickets in a single transaction with an itinerary for the full journey.

skyhigh

Established Member
But if a passenger bought the ticket from a station there would be no means of contacting them.
For what it's worth, given that many shops will offer receipts via email, I don't see why stations couldn't offer the option to supply an email address and get journey updates (particularly if an Advance has been sold).

DanielDeronda

Thanks for the info on the reinstating of my original service from Euston to Nuneaton, I had been considering a refund from GWR, but I've got the tickets safely with me!!

I should have enough time now to travel from PAD to EUS despite my service from RDG to PAD arriving at 0731 not 0712.

Hopefully all my connections run smoothly!!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As this journey is tomorrow, let us know how you get on.

Also out of interest, when did you book the ticket and is your journey from Euston, not Reading, this time? I would always advise obtaining a through itinerary for the full journey if at all possible.

DanielDeronda

It's all run pretty smoothly apart from arriving 11mins late at Paddington (0742) but I got to Euston at 0804 for the 0816 Nuneaton service.

The subsequent journeys have been on time &;seems there's an additional AWC service direct from Crewe due at Liverpool Lime Street @ 1200, so saved 18mins on original itinerary (0850 from EUS).

So 3h54 from EUS to LIV with 2 changes & less than £28 rtn with railcard (on a West Midland service back from Crewe to Euston). It's £47.20 with my travel card.

When it's usually £78+ for an off peak day return.

Glad I didn't go through with the refund option!!

Shotton

For future journeys, have you considered using a West Midlands Day Ranger and travelling via Leamington/Birmingham on XC?

Reading -> Banbury off peak day return (£10.25)
Banbury -> Leamington Spa off peak day return (£7.05)
West Midlands Day Ranger (£21.10)
Crewe -> Liverpool off peak day return (£9.15)

Total: £47.55 (All prices with Railcard)

This is about the same price, and fully flexible all day on weekends. Obviously doesn't allow going via London, but this route seems to be the fastest option at most times anyway... The downside being you need to spend a long time on XC.

Status
Not open for further replies.