• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bookmarking in a long thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

d9003meld

Is there any way to bookmark where you have read up to on a long thread on this forum? I am currently reading a number of long threads with several hundred posts in each thread. I find it difficult to remember the last posts in each discussion I read, and find myself re-reading posts until I catch up to the last post I read. I would appreciate any help with this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, but how you do it depends on your browser.

The one I am using right now has a 'bookmark link' option.

The_Train

Established Member
I use Chrome on my mobile to access the site and it seems to automatically do what you're wanting. As long as I remain logged in to the site I can read so much of a thread, come out of it and then when I return later it takes me straight to the next unread post. I didn't do anything to set this up, seems to be built into the browser

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Same here - I can be reading a thread on Chrome on my tablet, then move over to a desktop machine and it'll pick up threads where I left them. I would assume that a cookie of sorts allows this behaviour, so if you have those disabled it won't work.

trainophile

Established Member
I find the same thing too, and I'm generally on Safari. It might be something in our personal forum settings, although I didn't do anything to set it up.

I wish all websites would do this, it's so convenient.

d9003meld

I think my problem is that I am attempting to read numerous threads at the same time. Perhaps making a note in my mobile phone of the last post read in each thread would be the best solution, providing I remember to update it at the end of every reading session.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I think my problem is that I am attempting to read numerous threads at the same time. Perhaps making a note in my mobile phone of the last post read in each thread would be the best solution, providing I remember to update it at the end of every reading session.
That sounds like an awfully clumsy way to do it. Are you actually logged in when you're reading, or do you only log in when you want to post something? When you do log in, do you tick the "stay logged in" option? If you don't do this, then every time you visit the forum it'll assume that you're an "outsider", and it won't keep your place.

Also bear in mind the "watch thread" and "watch forum" options that act as a "favourites" list - I use these features to go to the stuff that I'm most interested first of all, then I scan the rest of the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.