• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Books on Pakistan Railways?

Maybach

Does anyone know if there are any books on Pakistani Railways? I've had a trawl through amazon and other places and I can't really find anything. Obviously, there are plenty of books on Indian Railways, including before Partition, but I can't see any titles that specifically relate to Pakistan.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic

Established Member
The only books I have seen referenced are very old and hence mainly relate to the period before partition.

Hundred Years of Pakistan Railways: Pakistan Western Railway 1861-1961, Pakistan Eastern Railway, 1862-1962

Malik, M. B. K. Published by Ministry of Railways and Communications, Karachi, 1962

Couplings to the Khyber : The story of the North Western Railway

Berridge P S A Published by David & Charles (1969), Newton Abbot, UK, 1969

More recent is

My Years with Pakistan Railways: What Went Wrong with Railways in Pakistan ...

Mian Ghias-ud-Din Ibrahim Publishers, 2007

and

The Railways in Colonial South Asia, 2021 also has a couple of chapters on Pakistan post independence.

Not read any of them so no idea if they are any good.

Maybach

Thanks. I will check those out. At first glance they look either rare or expensive! In fact, there doesn't seem to be much media about Pakistani railways at all - books, magazine articles or DVDs etc. I guess that very few Western enthusiasts have visited Pakistan in recent years - as opposed to India.

D6130

Established Member
There are quite a few contemporary Pakistani railway videos on YouTube....including an excellent travel video by our very own @superalbs of a very recent journey on a top express service from Lahore to Islamabad.

Maybach

There are quite a few contemporary Pakistani railway videos on YouTube....including an excellent travel video by our very own @superalbs of a very recent journey on a top express service from Lahore to Islamabad.

Thanks. I hadn't thought of looking on YouTube. D'oh!