• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Books on the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybach

Can anyone recommend the best book(s) on the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway? I'm particularly interested in the development of goods traffic. John Marshall wrote a supposedly definitive three-volume history of the Company but I don't know which, if any, of his books would be the best. And then there's O.S. Nock's history of the L&Y as well. Would that be any good?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

davetheguard

Established Member
Can anyone recommend the best book(s) on the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway? I'm particularly interested in the development of goods traffic. John Marshall wrote a supposedly definitive three-volume history of the Company but I don't know which, if any, of his books would be the best. And then there's O.S. Nock's history of the L&Y as well. Would that be any good?

Personally, I've always found Ossie Nock's books very dry indeed, but I can't say I've read more than three or four for that reason.

Mollington St

Not able to say as i have not read all 3 - But i can offer you all 3 Volumes , Hardbacked, in very very good condition - The Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway - By John Marshall - David & Charles . no markings or notations
Post Free in the UK for all 3 - £50 .
I have just had them come in with a collection , they will be up on my site later today - www.transport past times

Attachments

• Scan_20230130 (11).png
    Scan_20230130 (11).png
    854.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Scan_20230130 (12).png
    Scan_20230130 (12).png
    809.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Scan_20230130 (13).png
    Scan_20230130 (13).png
    778.9 KB · Views: 4

tomnoltoun

Not able to say as i have not read all 3 - But i can offer you all 3 Volumes , Hardbacked, in very very good condition - The Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway - By John Marshall - David & Charles . no markings or notations
Post Free in the UK for all 3 - £50 .
I have just had them come in with a collection , they will be up on my site later today - www.transport past times

I recommend reading The Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway: A Concise History by Christopher Helm. This book offers the reader a detailed overview of the history of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, from its founding in 1847 to its nationalization in 1948. I am currently studying type 2 diabetes essay, using https://studydriver.com/type-2-diabetes-essay/ for this. So if there is something here I can help too. In general, the author of that book talks about important events in the history of the railway, such as the development of routes and technology, as well as the life and work of people associated with this railway. The book is illustrated with rare photographs, maps and diagrams that help visualize the history of the Lancashire-Yorkshire Railway.
thanks
But the best is The Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway: a concise history

Last edited:

midland1

Try the Lancashire and Yorkshire Society webb site they do many books on train working, train control etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.