• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bordesley station is it closed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infoman

Trying to locate traiins from the above station,with no luck.
Any help most wellcome,thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's not closed but it does only have a Parliamentary level of service of one train per week so might as well be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordesley_railway_station explains - I guess the reason it hasn't closed is its usefulness for football traffic.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Looking at a map I don't see why it doesn't have a regular service. Duddeston and Adderley Park seem no more or less deserving.

Last edited:

Smethwickian

As well as the Parliamentary stops on Saturday, London Midland's own pocket timetables for the Snow Hill lines (online at londonmidland.com and from stations) do list the trains which normally stop additionally at Bordesley in connection with BCFC first-team home matches.

I don't think there's much around there to generate sufficient traffic worthy of more services at the moment, but planned major developments on the current wholesale markets site and out towards Digbeth might in turn lead to the areas a little further from the city centre becoming a bit busier in the next decade or so, so never say never.

Last edited:

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Looking at a map I don't see why it doesn't have a regular service. Duddeston and Adderley Park seem no more or less deserving.

It's almost certainly down to pathing. There are at least eight trains in each direction through Bordesley and it's tight enough through there as is without adding extra stops. There's a high risk signal on the down just before the station (it's visibility is obscured by the viaduct which holds the Camp Hill lines) and two congested stations nearby in Moor Street and Snow Hill on the up which probably don't need any more holdups than they already get.

Matchday aside I'm not sure who'd use the station anyway. It's not really any closer to the busy Digbeth High Street than Moor Street station is and the station buildings at Bordesley have been pushed to the back of people's thoughts so much that it's now just a door behind a bus shelter a hundred yards from one of the busiest traffic islands in the city. There's not much in the way of housing near the station and the people who might use it for Digbeth or Deritend would require an incredibly frequent service to attract them away from just walking back into town or using Moor Street/New Street/buses to go further afield. LM can justify stopping lots of trains there for a couple of hours every other Saturday during the football season but for regular usage I can't see a scenario where stopping more trains there doesn't create more problems than it solves.

lejog

Established Member

Because as Smethwickian says there's little or no demand from the adjacent areas. I remember the view from the station when I first visited St Andrews in the early 70s, with the area up the hill east to the ground covered with terraced houses. On my next visit, it was a deserted wasteland as the area was cleared.to build the A4540 Ring Road, the A45 Small Heath Bypass and the large traffic island. Housing still exists east of these, but is far better served by frequent buses, than trying to cross a high-speed pedestrian-unfriendly road junction to reach the station.

The industrial areas north toward Bordesley and west towards Deritend are most politely described as awaiting regeneration.

The Clements Arms, a basic old-fashioned boozer opposite the station, was always packed to the rafters on match days with crowds blocking the pavement and overflowing onto the road, but apparently in recent years some non-matchdays didn't see a single customer and is now closed.

Last edited:

thenorthern

Established Member
Its more of a Birmingham City FC station than anything else now similar to Manchester United FC station but Bordersley is still officially a open station that isn't a special purpose station so thats why it only has one scheduled train per week.

muug1982

The Digbeth extension of the Midland Metro is supposed to reach Adderley Street, which is 2/3 of the way from Moor Street to Bordesley as well.

I suspect the eventual Birmingham Airport extension will use this and the Small Heath Highway so will basically pass Bordesley station.

Assuming they are eventually built of course.

fgwrich

Established Member
The Digbeth extension of the Midland Metro is supposed to reach Adderley Street, which is 2/3 of the way from Moor Street to Bordesley as well.

I suspect the eventual Birmingham Airport extension will use this and the Small Heath Highway so will basically pass Bordesley station.

Assuming they are eventually built of course.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. With Bordersley station apparently located in the way of the proposed 'Camp Hill Chords' and the future Midland Metro extensions to Digbeth etc, could this finally see the end of the station?

Status
Not open for further replies.