• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boris Johnson Announcement Discussion - 10/05/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enthusiast

In essence, you can't leave the house is the law. There is then a specific list of exemptions.
It depends what you mean by a specific list of exemptions. The legislation says "For the purposes of paragraph (1), a reasonable excuse includes the need—". This clearly indicates that the list is not exhaustive and that other reasonable excuses may be acceptable. And there's the problem. In the first instance a police officer decides what is reasonable and what isn't. If he decides it isn't he has the power to order the miscreant to return home or to forcibly take him there if necessary. In that respect his decision is final because, although the alleged offender has recourse to the court, if the court decides his action was reasonable, although no financial penalty can be imposed, the damage (as far as him being prevented from completing his outing) has already been done.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HLE

Established Member
It's just bitterness and jealousy from some. I'm sure they'd love their income tax to be raised to cover millions on the dole, which would have happened without the job retention scheme.

I'd rather be working, and keep taxes as low as possible now and going forwards. On a bank holiday people can do whatever they like. At the minute it's probably gardening and daytime television for millions. Gets boring everyday.

I note about hospitality. Some pub chains have already said it's going to cost more opening under social distancing than staying shut. Do people seriously want thousands more pubs closed for good?

Sport. Will return but behind closed doors until probably 2021 at the earliest. Hundreds of thousands of jobs in the background rely on crowds being in stadiums. There's no work and no income without fans. Conferences etc won't return anytime soon either, another industry employing hundreds of thousands. Concert venues etc.

Nicholas43

That is supposed to be fixed by Wednesday which is why the "unlimited exercise" and related provisions doesn't apply until then.
I don't think it's necessary to amend the existing regulation 6 of SI 2020/350 to allow "unlimited" exercise; the "once a day" was always unenforceable ministerial wibble. It may be thought desirable to add "sit on a park bench 2 metres from one friend or relation" (or words to that effect) as another example of a "reasonable excuse" for not being at home. It will be interesting to see whether "drive (but not travel by public transport) as far as you like within England to any place you like, such as a beach" (or words to that effect) gets added ...

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Not particularly Boris' announcement per se, but today's death toll of just over 600 would be low-mid 500s on a normal Tuesday: it's just 3 days' lag rather than 2 due to the Bank Holiday. So figures are heading in the right direction, but still very much too high to implement much progress. Yet. In my humble opinion.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I note about hospitality. Some pub chains have already said it's going to cost more opening under social distancing than staying shut. Do people seriously want thousands more pubs closed for good?

Indeed.
Hell, some places I have drunk at you'd barely fit more than just yourself and a staff member in the pub before you were too close to other people anyway!

Qwerty133

Established Member
It's just bitterness and jealousy from some. I'm sure they'd love their income tax to be raised to cover millions on the dole, which would have happened without the job retention scheme.

I'd rather be working, and keep taxes as low as possible now and going forwards. On a bank holiday people can do whatever they like. At the minute it's probably gardening and daytime television for millions. Gets boring everyday.

Sport. Will return but behind closed doors until probably 2021 at the earliest. Hundreds of thousands of jobs in the background rely on crowds being in stadiums. There's no work and no income without fans. Conferences etc won't return anytime soon either, another industry employing hundreds of thousands. Concert venues etc.
Of course many sports clubs also rely on conferences and other external events to remain viable, and in the case of some sports clubs the numbers of staff in certain areas required for such events can be greater than the number required for match days.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Very challenging indeed , and a major quality of life "downer"

I may be referred to an urgent centre on Friday - but "acceptance" is very limited one gathers. There seems to be some representations to the Govt by various dental professional agencies. One can only hope.

I hope you get the treatment you need. Dentists are a very essential service

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I hope you get the treatment you need. Dentists are a very essential service

Thanks - I desperately hope so , life is a 3 hour circuit of tablet taking which seems to be not doing a lot. The dentist , to be fair has to build a case for "consideration" , which he is doing.

My wife is an NHS worker , (just in off her shift) , and all other services locally are being provided , - there appears to be some slack. Cutting out dentistry to the whole population in effect a particularly bad issue.

No chance of a glass of red wine either to take the edge off.

Thanks for your concerns. Everything would be fine without this.

greyman42

Established Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.