• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bournemouth signalbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

Can someone tell me the location of Bournemouth signalbox please?!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bmth_pway

well the box is opposite the network rail offices in carpark or at the end of platform 3 you cant really miss it how ever the new signalling center is located on platform 3 as well at the opposite end and that is quite impressive in there as well :o :) :)

T

Tom

There used to be a container... not now.

Bmth_pway, yes, I know where you mean now.

GeoffM

Can't say I'm impressed - huge trunks of blue cabling coming out of the containers (8 per 4-aspect signal; more if route indicators), unreliable axle counters that can't... um... count, and 3 people controlling a small lump of railway that 2 people used to be able to control - that's progress for you.

Is the camera sitting on a cable drum on the ballast still pointing at the axle counter on P3?

Could have been done with 2 SSIs, maybe 3 if they insisted on axle counters, and lumped under one IECC, one WestCAD, or one MCS without either of the three breaking a sweat - and controlled by one person, with a second person for backup.

But I guess Railtrack spent lots of money "helping" Siemens develop it for the UK market, so they wouldn't want to lose face and abandon it for better systems - last I heard, Portsmouth was going the same way.

Soapbox dismounted, sorry.

Geoff M.

Established Member
its in the old parcels office now, me mates a signalman in there, its quite impressive espaiclly the spad alarm!

T

Tom

The camera is still there, yes.

The signalbox itself is quite impressive though IMO. Bournemouth doesn't have that many 4 aspect signals... most are either 3 or 2 aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.