• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BR Depot 'pets' and special liveries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Between 1984 and 88 Haymarket Depot put a Castle logo on their 20s, 26s, 27s and 47s.

Attachments

• 49997457988_df2213e0f7_o.jpg
    49997457988_df2213e0f7_o.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7

alexl92

Established Member
Thanks, that explains it. There used to be an 87 stabled at Carlisle as an "ice breaker" but no longer.

During the 1980s/1990s there was a spate of 'heritage' repaints. I can think of:
  • 47401 in two tone green (and later 47004(?) that EWS kept on)
  • A 31 (I can see in my mind's eye a double page photo in one of the magazines of it freshly outshopped at Stratford in the company of another pair of green locos)
  • 40122 for railtour use
Then there was 73101 in Pullman-style livery, a 47 in LNER apple green (but not branded as LNER).

Do these meet the spirit of the thread? I am certain there are others.
Absolutely! Anything unusual or out of the ordinary!
I remember the 31 in BR green and I think that was a Stratford job, as was D6700 (37119/350). There was also 33008 ‘Eastleigh’ which was a bit of an Eastleigh pet.
Laira did quite a few unusual liveries on their class 50s towards the end, off hand there was:
50007 GWR green (obviously it was done a few years before but still a bit different)
50008 and 50019 in Laira blue
50015 in Dutch (the only member of the class and I think done for railtours)
D400/50050 back into original BR blue and working on the Waterloo route.
What was 'Laira Blue'?

This one? That was a good one wasn't it? :)
I like the Midland Red but why with the large logo-style yellow ends! Would look better with either just the front or a panel!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

SteveyBee131

During the 1980s/1990s there was a spate of 'heritage' repaints. I can think of:
  • 47401 in two tone green (and later 47004(?) that EWS kept on)
  • A 31 (I can see in my mind's eye a double page photo in one of the magazines of it freshly outshopped at Stratford in the company of another pair of green locos)
  • 40122 for railtour use
Then there was 73101 in Pullman-style livery, a 47 in LNER apple green (but not branded as LNER).

Do these meet the spirit of the thread? I am certain there are others.
47522 seems to ring a bell?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
47522 seems to ring a bell?
That’s right ‘Doncaster Enterprise’. I don’t think it carried that livery for many years as it ended up being painted into RES colours. I seem to remember that it had ‘Express Parcels’ lettering on the bodyside at first.

O L Leigh

Established Member
I’m surprised that no-one has mentioned Clown Point’s Cravens Cl105 DMU yet, nor that the Cl306 survived into preservation largely due to it being the Ilford pet unit.

pdeaves

Established Member
I’m surprised that no-one has mentioned Clown Point’s Cravens Cl105 DMU yet, nor that the Cl306 survived into preservation largely due to it being the Ilford pet unit.
Yes, good reminder, which in turn reminds me that a North Western 101 went green, didn't it? Then there's the GWR 150 brown/cream 117 and 121 units, Midline on a solitary single car unit and the Yellow Pages unit. Also a 127(?), possibly 'relegated' to parcels use, in green. In similar vein to the 306, remember too the 2BIL, 4SUB and later 4EPB (or was it 2EPB?), all repainted green. The former may strictly have been preserved but the latter weren't.

So many 'specials' went back to original green (or something similar). I think that's a good vote of confidence for whoever came up with it in the first place (yes, I know there were variations in colour and style); seems to work and look good on anything!

Richard Scott

Established Member
Seem to remember quite a few locos got special treatment over the years, not always ensuring their survival, though. 25322/25912 certainly one that did survive. Think 45013 got some special treatment and 45104 towards end of its time had a few embellishments. On the peak theme 44004 also got special treatment. 47004 got painted two tone green as one of the last series-parallel 47s in service. Wasn't 73142 a bit of a pet loco too? Seemed to see a bit of use on royal trains? Sure there are other examples but not coming to mind currently!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Seem to remember quite a few locos got special treatment over the years, not always ensuring their survival, though. 25322/25912 certainly one that did survive. Think 45013 got some special treatment and 45104 towards end of its time had a few embellishments. On the peak theme 44004 also got special treatment. 47004 got painted two tone green as one of the last series-parallel 47s in service. Wasn't 73142 a bit of a pet loco too? Seemed to see a bit of use on royal trains? Sure there are other examples but not coming to mind currently!
You’ve thought of a fair few that I’d forgotten there.
73142 was definitely a ‘pet’ with its royal connections. Still around too isn’t it?

Richard Scott

Established Member
You’ve thought of a fair few that I’d forgotten there.
73142 was definitely a ‘pet’ with its royal connections. Still around too isn’t it?
Believe so, became 73201. Remember having it on Gatwick Express on one of the Network South East rail days, I'd only just got into the whole train thing but mate of mine quite excited as seemingly was rare at the time (may not have been but that was his view on it).

Springs Branch

Established Member
The OP didn't stipulate locos only, although replies so far all seem to apply to locos and shunters.

In the dull, conformist, all-over Rail Blue era of the 1970s, Class 104 DMUs had a couple of minor depot-specific livery variations.
  • Some of Newton Heath's 3-car sets for the Manchester Victoria - Blackpool route had a broad bodyside white stripe.
  • Buxton depot's Class 104s for services to Piccadilly had a white-painted driver's cab roof.
However these variations probably had had some level of official sanction, rather than being purely a depot initiative.

I couldn't quickly find obviously non-copyright images to post, but there are examples on the Railcar website at https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-104/liveries.

Yes, good reminder, which in turn reminds me that a North Western 101 went green, didn't it? Then there's the GWR 150 brown/cream 117 and 121 units, Midline on a solitary single car unit and the Yellow Pages unit. Also a 127(?), possibly 'relegated' to parcels use, in green. In similar vein to the 306, remember too the 2BIL, 4SUB and later 4EPB (or was it 2EPB?), all repainted green. The former may strictly have been preserved but the latter weren't.

So many 'specials' went back to original green (or something similar). I think that's a good vote of confidence for whoever came up with it in the first place (yes, I know there were variations in colour and style); seems to work and look good on anything!
There was also a Carlisle 108 that got a coat of green if I remember rightly. I'm sure I have a picture somewhere when I went to an open day at the depot at Upperby.

The 2BIL was already preserved by the NRM it was already in green by that time

4SUB 4732. If i recall correctly was repainted green (Persudo southern as it had yellow ends), initally it was kept on for the last services of the 4SUB but then was kept on as extra capacity for the 2BIL when that went mainline + being used for specials etc.

The EPB's. 5001 was painted BR Green and 5176 was painted in BR Blue again, similarly like the SUB kept on for the last services of the EPB.

Class 205 205029 was painted BR green but unfortunately was involved in the Cowden crash so subsquently scrapped.

Class 411 4 CEP no. 1592 was painted in BR Green for the last services of the CEPs. Also joined by the only CEP painted in Connex livery 1602.

Class 423 4 VEP 3417 was pained in BR Blue. Again for similar reasons as the CEP

Status
Not open for further replies.