• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BR diesel green to blue livery change..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Strathclyder

Established Member
With regard to the class 29s....prototype rebuild D6123 of 1963 and production models D6101/02/03/06/12/13/14/16/21/30/32 and 33 0f 1965/66 were delivered in two-tone green with a narrow white waist-level stripe (see my avatar) and kept that livery until withdrawal, albeit with the addition of full yellow cab ends in about 1970, which spoiled their appearance somewhat IMHO.
To my mind the slight change of bodyside angle (swage line) lent these loco's ideally to the two tone green that was applied to some, it gave their appearance a 'lift' as it were. The all over (darker) green making them look a tad drab by comparison (IMHO), and I agree, the full yellow cab fronts ruined the effect.
This variant of BR Green is my favourite out of them all, a marked improvement on the all-over Green they were delivered in as 21s and the later variants there-of.

Had at least two 29s been saved for preservation, one in that variant of Green and the other in Blue - both with small warning panels, like you both, I'm not really a fan of the later full yellow cab ends on 29s - would've made me a very happy boy.

delt1c

Established Member
Liked the yellow ends pn 26’s , 27’s , 33’s and 47’s where it included side Windows’s

Trackman

Established Member
A worksplate from 40106 passed through auction recently,there’s certainly traces of blue paint around the edge. Here’s a link to the Crewe Railwayana site.

Here is the official word from the CFPS which I take their word as gospel.

After years of anonymous hard work with the rest of the fleet, by 1978 the loco was among a handful of Class 40’s which still hadn’t been repainted into Corporate Blue and yellow. During her last works overhaul at Crewe in September 1978, the loco was repainted into blue and yellow, but shortly afterwards, it was then decided to repaint the loco in Dark Brunswick green with full yellow ends. This repaint was apparently carried out before she left works. 40106 then became a favoured loco on railtour and other special passenger workings for several years.

---

This variant of BR Green is my favourite out of them all....

When I was a kid I was thought BR Green was Black as they were always dirty!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Here is the official word from the CFPS which I take their word as gospel.

---
Just as an illustration of what kind of state it was in a couple of months before it received its green repaint. Thomas Harper took this photo of it on the 25th July 1978:

Rough!

Trackman

Established Member
Just as an illustration of what kind of state it was in a couple of months before it received its green repaint. Thomas Harper took this photo of it on the 25th July 1978:

Rough!
Seen a similar photo taken at Guide Bridge, very rough!

Gloster

Established Member
Complete non-expert comment: somewhere I read that the ‘never green’ 40 was seen in blue undercoat.

Beebman

Here's a photo I took of 40106 from a passing train at Edge Hill in July 1977 - apologies for the poor quality (and the wagons in the way) but hopefully it's of interest:

Attachments

• Photo_2023-08-01_213910.jpg
    Photo_2023-08-01_213910.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 51

Big Jumby 74

Another of my not so good pics, also 1977, at Crewe works Open Day 24th September. If anyone on here was there and made more diligent notes than I, you might be able to help? My list of locos tallies for the most part with the list on 'BROpendays' web page, but one Brush 4 outside the repair shop (4 road) was in undercoat blue, 47268 was alongside on 5 road. Regrettably I never made a note of which loco the undercoat blue one was - may not have been anything externally to easily identify it and suspect the cab doors were locked so no chance of checking the in cab identity?
From the lists I have and reference to the aforementioned book, 'Class 47: 50 year history' there are one or two possible suspects, but would welcome any definitive comments. For reference there is a better image credited to a Tony Knight on Flickr, but I can not see any caption detail about same.
Thanks.

PS: Mods; I hope any personal identities are obscured enough by the poor quality image. PPS: have amended now.

Attachments

• BJ-CreweWorks24-9-77 - Copy (2).jpg
    BJ-CreweWorks24-9-77 - Copy (2).jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
I believe that the class EM2 (later class 77) Woodhead Line express locos started life in early BR lined black livery, were then repainted in lined Brunswick Green and eventually some - if not all - of them BR 'Electric Blue' (the same shade as the West Coast AC electric locos' original livery but with transfer totems in place of the cast aluminium logos)....before emerging in the Nederlands Spoorwegen yellow and grey.
Doing a bit of digging, I've came across images at least one 77 (27002 Aurora) in Electric Blue with a yellow warning panel and have come across images of another (27004 Juno) without a yellow panel.

A minor (pedantic really) point of order on the NS livery on the former 77s: all but one of them recieved NS Yellow/Grey: 27005 Minvera was used as a spares donor by NS and was broken up in November 1969.

I'm not certan whether any of their smaller EM1/class 76 cousins were ever painted in 'Electric Blue' in between green and 'Rail Blue', but maybe that's how a couple of them ended-up in blue with the old 1957-64 style totems. 76 022 springs to mind.
At least a few 76s did recieve Electric Blue, if this image is anything to go by:

785e39b935490f22a6d6ea848f2735f1--british-rail-electric-locomotive.jpg
(26002 & 26031 cross paths at Guide Bridge | 13th July 1967)

Big Jumby 74

I have photos (not mine) of 27001 at Sheff Vic in Elecy blue with small yellow w/panels and 26053 at Penistone (green with small yellow panels), both involved with a B1 on the RCTS 'Great Central rail tour' of 13th August 1966. As an aside re the EM2's, 'Electra' lost its, albeit refreshed, NS livery sometime after its visit to Basingstoke in Sept 1987, and appeared at Winchfield (150 event) in Sept 88 in BR Brunswick green, no yellow in sight! The latter event also saw 'Ariadne' at Basingstoke in pristine NS colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.