• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BR Lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

JhR

Hi all, just bought this lamp in an antiques market and I am unsure of its exact use based on its shape and colours etc. Hopefully someone can shed some light on it, pardon the pun... :rolleyes:
20171007_232036.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndrewE

Established Member
Probably pre-dates BR (unless it has BR pressed into it somewhere) and I would guess it might be a side-lamp for a (freight) guards van, so shows a red out the back for following trains and signalmen and white ahead so the driver/fireman could look back and see it was still there.
Unless it is off a level crossing gate...

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Doesn't look like a train lamp to me.

Lamps attach to a bracket on the train via a "socket" on the lamp. The bracket were standardised across companies well before nationalisation, although as usual the GWR had to be different and mounted theirs at right angles to everyone else's, thus rendering their lamps incompatible. Image search for "Railway Side Lamp" brings up one stamped BR that has the same sort of socket and lenses on two sides (but unfortunately it won't let me get a link to the image).

This one has the bracket on the lamp instead, sends light out on three sides with (I think) a reflector in the direction that would be sideways to the train if it was a side lamp. It generally looks more flimsy than a lamp that will be attached to a train. Also train lamps tended to have lenses to focus the light in the intended direction. So it's either very old, not British, or not a train lamp at all.

JhR

Thank you for your replies, it does have BR stamped onto it on the inside so unless someone has done that to right it off as being a railway lamp, I assume it is something to do with the railways, just what exactly I dont know.
I was also confused as to why it doesn't have a magnified lense on it. In regards to being flimsy, it is actually very solid and rather heavy...

Qwerty133

Established Member
This firm seem to have had a number of different BR lamps pass through and have a number of years of sales cataloged with descriptions so it may be worth having a look through the various different listing sites

John Webb

Established Member
Doesn't quite match anything in our collection at St Albans South signal box. I wonder if it may be for shunters to use - clips onto belt with the reflected light shining forwards for reading destination labels on wagons, the red and white aspects being used to give signals to train drivers, guards or other shunters.
BR usually marked the external casing in some way, so possibly the BR on the burner indicates the burner is a later date than the rest of the lamp? And if you want to try lighting it, the wick height needs to be substantially reduced to just a couple of mm/one eighth of an inch above the line of the ceramics - as pictured it will give too big a flame and possibly overheat the lamp.

Regarding lenses, it was generally only tail lamps and signal lamps that had lenses as they needed to be seen from a fair distance away; on hand lamps the angle of view at close range would have been rather limited if lenses were used.

pdeaves

Established Member
Could it be a signal lamp? I don't know, I've never seen one. It also looks to me like the sort of lamp you might fix to a skip or temporary fence or such that is an obstruction on a roadway. Is BR 'British Roads'? :)

JhR

Doesn't quite match anything in our collection at St Albans South signal box. I wonder if it may be for shunters to use - clips onto belt with the reflected light shining forwards for reading destination labels on wagons, the red and white aspects being used to give signals to train drivers, guards or other shunters.
BR usually marked the external casing in some way, so possibly the BR on the burner indicates the burner is a later date than the rest of the lamp? And if you want to try lighting it, the wick height needs to be substantially reduced to just a couple of mm/one eighth of an inch above the line of the ceramics - as pictured it will give too big a flame and possibly overheat the lamp.

Regarding lenses, it was generally only tail lamps and signal lamps that had lenses as they needed to be seen from a fair distance away; on hand lamps the angle of view at close range would have been rather limited if lenses were used.
What fuel would you recommend to use in it? Regular lamp oil?

John Webb

Established Member
What fuel would you recommend to use in it? Regular lamp oil?
We use good quality paraffin - can't recall the exact grade, but it comes in a 5 litre container; seems to work well. Under no circumstances use any more flammable liquid such as meths, and certainly not petrol or lighter fuel - will burn too vigorously!

From one experience at St Albans, I would suggest you take out the burner and fill the container with water to check for leaks before attempting to fill it with paraffin.

Last edited:

John Webb

Established Member
Could it be a signal lamp? I don't know, I've never seen one. It also looks to me like the sort of lamp you might fix to a skip or temporary fence or such that is an obstruction on a roadway. Is BR 'British Roads'? :)
It's not a signal lamp - these had a lens on the front to give the required long-distance sighting, and a much larger tank for the burner so they could burn for a week before requiring a refill. If it was for a temporary obstruction, I can't see any reason for it being fitted with a burner equipped with a reflector - unless the burner is not the original one, in which case the red glass one way and clear glass the other ways would support your suggestion.
Query for JhR: Does the burner/reflector assembly sit in the base of the lamp or is there a vertical post over which the support for the reflector slides to hold the burner/reflector assembly in place?

JhR

It's not a signal lamp - these had a lens on the front to give the required long-distance sighting, and a much larger tank for the burner so they could burn for a week before requiring a refill. If it was for a temporary obstruction, I can't see any reason for it being fitted with a burner equipped with a reflector - unless the burner is not the original one, in which case the red glass one way and clear glass the other ways would support your suggestion.
Query for JhR: Does the burner/reflector assembly sit in the base of the lamp or is there a vertical post over which the support for the reflector slides to hold the burner/reflector assembly in place?
The burner slides into place in the base of the lamp in a bracket, and the reflector seems to be permanently attached where it is.

John Webb

Established Member
The burner slides into place in the base of the lamp in a bracket, and the reflector seems to be permanently attached where it is.
Right, thanks for that. But I have to say that that makes the use of the lamp less clear. I'd return to my previous suggestion (post #8) that it was for a shunter's use - but it's like nothing that I've seen before!

billh

We use good quality paraffin - can't recall the exact grade, but it comes in a 5 litre container; seems to work well. Under no circumstances use any more flammable liquid such as meths, and certainly not petrol or lighter fuel - will burn too vigorously!

From one experience at St Albans, I would suggest you take out the burner and fill the container with water to check for leaks before attempting to fill it with paraffin.

I have a ground disk signal back lamp here. On the fuel tank is an embossed metal label "petroleum spirit only" . Needless to say I have never used petrol in it, paraffin works perfectly well. I suspect there has been a change in fuel nomenclature since it was made?

John Webb

Established Member
Is it possible that this is a non-railway lamp, repaired/restored with non-authentic parts salvaged from a (different sort of) railway lamp?
Quite possible but I can't be definitive about this.

I have a ground disk signal back lamp here. On the fuel tank is an embossed metal label "petroleum spirit only" . Needless to say I have never used petrol in it, paraffin works perfectly well. I suspect there has been a change in fuel nomenclature since it was made?
Possible. I used to handle a range of flammable liquids in my work some years ago. The major definition on the various types of Petroleum Spirit was set out in the Petroleum (Consolidated) Act 1928. Kerosine (= Paraffin) has to be at about 40 degrees C before it will ignite; but it is classified as a Petroleum Spirit. Your label may be to deter people from putting some form of lubricating oil in?

randyrippley

Established Member
Is it possible that this is a non-railway lamp, repaired/restored with non-authentic parts salvaged from a (different sort of) railway lamp?

my guess would be a lamp from a horse drawn carriage, restored with a burner from a 1950's railway lamp

randyrippley

Established Member
and here's the same burner for sale, dates from the 1950s
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/3521717565...=9045054&device=c&campaignid=857333742&crdt=0

$_58.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.