• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brad Pitt charters a Virgin Train!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

williamn

Apparently lots of crew (several hundred) went with them. And according to one newspaper the kids wanted to go on a train having seen the Hogwarts Express in Harry Potter.

bnm

Established Member
Apparently lots of crew (several hundred) went with them. And according to one newspaper the kids wanted to go on a train having seen the Hogwarts Express in Harry Potter.

What a disappointment a Pendolino must've been for them then!

bengolding

Well if there were several hundred on that train, I guess it must have been full and standing, which is the norm these days!

TomE

FYI - An 18 person Jetstream chartered plane costs £10,000 per hour to hire (I know this because I once enquired). I would imagine this Pendolino would be significantly more.

I don't know which company you enquired with but if that's the figure they gave you they obviously didn't take you seriously! A Jetstream 31 would be no-where near that! Try more like £1000 per hour, if that.

Tom.

Bon Accord

I wonder if special catering arrangements were made onboard or if Virgin served up their usual swill?

Liam

Established Member
Daily Mirror reported it cost around £40,000 to charter the 14 carriage train. :lol:

dk1

Veteran Member
I wonder if special catering arrangements were made onboard or if Virgin served up their usual swill?

I loved it on my last journey up North. Staff where great too!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Daily Mirror reported it cost around £40,000 to charter the 14 carriage train. :lol:

Typical. That particular rag could do with somebody with even a hint of the rail industry to save them constantly having egg on their face.

graham43404

Typical. That particular rag could do with somebody with even a hint of the rail industry to save them constantly having egg on their face.
With there lack of knowledge on an almost daily basis I am amazed they didn't drop the bomb big time and have the current train promotion with the Siemens majority trains fleeted First TPE. Now that would have been funny :lol:

NightatLaira

Not far out with my £50k then... but was it really 14 carriages? Even the extendolino only has - oh wait it's the Daily Mirror...

I don't know which company you enquired with but if that's the figure they gave you they obviously didn't take you seriously! A Jetstream 31 would be no-where near that! Try more like £1000 per hour, if that.

Tom.

We enquired with loads and the cheapest we could find was £10,000/hr. This was this year. Admittedly, we were attempting to be flown to France and then back again 2 days later, not domestically, but the effective cost per flying hour was £10,000/hr. We were looking at Gatwick to Toulouse on a Friday evening coming back Sunday afternoon - privately chartered 18 person plane for a lavish stag do. The result was no change this side of £30k. So instead we're saving our money and going with Flybe instead.

In five hours time I'm boarding an Edinburgh to Heathrow plane that's costing me £262.50 (economy class) on a sweaty old BMI airbus crammed full of passengers. If I could get a whole Jetstream for £1000, I'd find 3 or 4 other travellers and we'd save our money.

TomE

I see, but I still don't understand how you arrive at 10k per hour. It's likely the operator would have quoted you two one way trips given there are a couple of days between arrival and departure. In a J31 you're looking at about 2 hours flying between LGW & Tolouse so two trips is going to be 8 hours flying. That means the hourly rate for the aircraft is £3750 per hour. That doesn't include any time spent positioning the aircraft from & to it's home base so that hourly rate would come down again depending on how far the plane had to fly to get to & from LGW.

If they were moving a lot of cast and crew with them then i guess the train makes sense, but if the cost was around £40k, I reckon they could have done the same Journey for less on a chartered 747.

Tom.

PhilipW

I do hope he was not bombarded with safety announcements and "Please keep your luggage with you at all times" etc, etc every 30 mins.

I wonder if the shop was open too.

talltim

Established Member
If I had that many kids I know I would pick the train over a plane any day.
Virgin need to install some play areas in their Pendos tho, perhaps in coach N ;)

Play area by ta||tim, on Flickr

NightatLaira

I see, but I still don't understand how you arrive at 10k per hour. It's likely the operator would have quoted you two one way trips given there are a couple of days between arrival and departure. In a J31 you're looking at about 2 hours flying between LGW & Tolouse so two trips is going to be 8 hours flying. That means the hourly rate for the aircraft is £3750 per hour. That doesn't include any time spent positioning the aircraft from & to it's home base so that hourly rate would come down again depending on how far the plane had to fly to get to & from LGW.

If they were moving a lot of cast and crew with them then i guess the train makes sense, but if the cost was around £40k, I reckon they could have done the same Journey for less on a chartered 747.

Tom.

See PM Tom, if we talk too much about planes on a railway forum someone's gonna get modded! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.