• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bradford Interchange to Gatley 7 day season ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil35

I may need to commute from Bradford to Gatley from Monday-Friday next week. A 7 day season ticket (route: via Hebden Bridge) costs £56.60 (£11.32 a day). If work will pay for it I will just purchase that and then no more needs to be done. However, on the off chance I'll have to pay myself, do you have any tips on how I could make this any cheaper?

I usually purchase my train tickets via TopCashBack, earning 6.06% on every purchase. A Bradford - Gatley Anytime Return is £12 before 10:00, so including the cashback, if I was to purchase an Anytime Return every day it would work out at £11.27 a day - a massive saving of 5p on the 7 day season ticket. That's the best I can do! :D I'll have a look to see if I can utilise a Metro Season ticket in there somewhere. Can you do any better?

As an aside, is there a way to purchase a season ticket on the Internet? I tried to purchase it on the Southern website, but it wouldn't let me - I assume you can only buy Souther Season tickets on there.

EDIT: So I've had a little play around and got something cheaper. I could get:

MetroCard Bus & Rail zones 2-5, 7 days: £24.60
Todmorden - Gatley 7 day season ticket: £38.30
TOTAL = £62.90

That included my buses to and from Bradford Interchange as well which is a bonus!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dfurn

You've not really indicated where you may be traveling to Bradford Interchange from, nor how long you want the journey to take. Not that I really have any cheaper suggestions but it's interesting to note an off peak return from Huddersfield to Gatley is £11.50 and you could add a Hudds Plusbus to that and get the bus from whereever you are (hopefully within West Yorkshire) to Huddersfield. The implication is that you are busing to the Interchange anyhow, and going from Huddersfield will mean there's one less change as you'll arrive (and change) at Piccadilly or the Airport. Unfortunately the Plusbus is £3.00 so overall the non-Topcashback fare will be £14.50. And also I suspect you'll be wanting a peak return. Maybe there's a split possible from Huddersfield to Gatley? Or there's a TPE advance offer to the Manchester Airport to take advantage of?

calc7

Established Member
You've not really indicated where you may be traveling to Bradford Interchange from, nor how long you want the journey to take. Not that I really have any cheaper suggestions but it's interesting to note an off peak return from Huddersfield to Gatley is £11.50 and you could add a Hudds Plusbus to that and get the bus from whereever you are (hopefully within West Yorkshire) to Huddersfield. The implication is that you are busing to the Interchange anyhow, and going from Huddersfield will mean there's one less change as you'll arrive (and change) at Piccadilly or the Airport. Unfortunately the Plusbus is £3.00 so overall the non-Topcashback fare will be £14.50. And also I suspect you'll be wanting a peak return. Maybe there's a split possible from Huddersfield to Gatley? Or there's a TPE advance offer to the Manchester Airport to take advantage of?

All of the TPE-priced Off-Peak Returns I've ever seen are allowed "by any train" on the return portion giving the situation where it is sometimes worth buying in the "wrong" direction, eg. so that your morning journey becomes the return but you need to look into this flow-by-flow.

phil35

Yeah, I would have to travel at peak times, I need to be in Gatley for about 8:30am every day (so it's an early start!). I live in Greengates in Bradford, but I actually think (without checking) that it might add a fair bit of journey time going via Huddersfield. I think I'll just stick with taking the Bradford - Victoria service. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Status
Not open for further replies.