• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break of Journey - Belgium

4COR

Quick question on behalf of some friends - they are travelling from Brussels Airport to Ghent. Can they break a journey at Bruxelles Midi on the way (for several hours) on a single ticket, or does it require two separate tickets?

Many thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AY1975

Established Member
Allowed. Rules are somewhere on Belgian rail.be, including in English.
I can't find it anywhere on there.

I seem to recall that back in the 1990s break of journey in Belgium was only allowed for passengers in transit, i.e. on their way to another country. Not sure if that's still the case.

Wandering Pom

After quite a bit of digging through the SNCB website at https://www.belgiantrain.be, I found the English-language page for their standard tickets, at https://www.belgiantrain.be/en/tickets-and-railcards/standard-ticket
This has links to documents in French and Dutch; the French version includes the following:
QUE PERMET MON TICKET ?
• PUIS-JE FAIRE UNE HALTE DURANT MON VOYAGE ?
Oui. Vous pouvez interrompre* votre voyage dans n’importe quelle gare* ou point d’arrêt* situé sur votre itinéraire le plus court en kilomètres, et ce, dans le sens de votre destination.
Putting this through Google Translate, I get:
WHAT DOES MY TICKET ALLOW?
• CAN I MAKE A STOP DURING MY TRIP?
Yes. You can interrupt* your journey at any station* or stopping point* located on your shortest route in kilometers, in the direction of your destination.
The asterisks are links to another document containing definitions; "interrompre" (interrupt) is defined as making a stop at an intermediate point on the journey.

The significance of the "shortest route" is that in some cases SNCB tickets can also be valid via an alternative longer route (presumably faster), but if using such an alternative route it seems that break of journey is not permitted.

rvdborgt

The significance of the "shortest route" is that in some cases SNCB tickets can also be valid via an alternative longer route (presumably faster), but if using such an alternative route it seems that break of journey is not permitted.
Except that SNCB don't give passengers any means anymore to determine what the shortest route is. My conclusion: if it looks like it might be the shortest route on a map, then it's OK.

4COR

Thanks for the replies all - I think the route from the airport to Ghent via Brussels is probably most direct, so hopefully it'll all be fine!

island

Veteran Member
Yes, permitted routes for SNCB/NMBS are (1) the shortest route, and (2) any route that gets you to your destination sooner than taking the shortest route. This means that the permitted routes can be different at different times of day.

It's only when you use the shortest route that you can break your journey.

My experience of SNCB/NMBS conductors is that they will apply a considerable amount of common sense.

One footnote on breaks of journey – if you were to do so at Brussels Airport Zaventem, you would have to pay the airport surcharge (Diabolo) twice.