• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break of Journey via the Elizabeth Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainfan344

Established Member
I recently travelled through London on the return leg of an off peak return from Swansea to Norwich. I wanted to stop off at Farringdon on the way back.

If I used the Elizabeth Line from Paddington to Farringdon and then take a break of journey would this be a valid place to take a pause?

As it was I just used oyster to save any potential issues with my journey but curious for future reference.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes. However, good luck re-entering after you exit - as TfL pretend that the Elizabeth line core is part of the Underground (it's not) and that break of journey is thus prohibited.

mikeb42

Yes. However, good luck re-entering after you exit - as TfL pretend that the Elizabeth line core is part of the Underground (it's not) and that break of journey is thus prohibited.
The above seems to apply even when you wish to break a journey which inherently requires changing to TfL from National Rail at Farringdon - as I would sometimes like to do when travelling on tickets like Radlett<->Reading.

Past aggravation from trying to do the equivalent (Circle/H&C/Met rather than Elizabeth, but same difference) at Moorgate when travelling on the likes of a Hertford<->Reading deters me from trying - even as a sometime member of the politely awkward squad when provoked.

I'm not sure anyone even knows definitively what the position technically is under those circumstances. All the current version (02/22) of the NRCoT says on the matter is:

16.4 Tickets valid for travel across London using Transport for London services do not entitle you to break your journey on London Underground and/or the Docklands Light Railway, unless your Ticket is a Season Ticket or a travelcard covering the Zones in which you are travelling.

This doesn't apply because I've not yet commenced my journey via TfL services and am at a station at which the relevant National Rail services arrive and have a gateline to the outside world by definition. It seems to be a complete lottery how the staff on the ground deal with it. It varies between cheerily waving you through and obdurate hostility, seemingly at random.

Last edited:

35B

Established Member
The above seems to apply even when you wish to break a journey which inherently requires changing to TfL from National Rail at Farringdon - as I would sometimes like to do when travelling on tickets like Radlett<->Reading.

Past aggravation from trying to do the equivalent (Circle/H&C/Met rather than Elizabeth, but same difference) at Moorgate when travelling on the likes of a Hertford<->Reading deters me from trying - even as a sometime member of the politely awkward squad when provoked.

I'm not sure anyone even knows definitively what the position technically is under those circumstances. All the current version (02/22) of the NRCoT says on the matter is:

16.4 Tickets valid for travel across London using Transport for London services do not entitle you to break your journey on London Underground and/or the Docklands Light Railway, unless your Ticket is a Season Ticket or a travelcard covering the Zones in which you are travelling.

This doesn't apply because I've not yet commenced my journey via TfL services and am at a station at which the relevant National Rail services arrive and have a gateline to the outside world by definition. It seems to be a complete lottery how the staff on the ground deal with it. It varies between cheerily waving you through and obdurate hostility, seemingly at random.
At Farringdon, I would make sure that I use the new EL ticket hall which is much more nearly a mainline hall than an Underground one.

hkstudent

Established Member

It's due to gate line staff on the same Underground Line can be swapped or shifted over days due to staff unavailability.
Only staff based at LU-NR stations are trained with more detailed NR ticketing rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.