• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break of journey with multiple TOCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueberry11

Would this two breaks of journey be allowed with just an off peak/anytme ticket and travel on multiple TOCs?

An example would be the journey from Norwich to Peterborough with a break at Thetford and Ely (on a weekday)
0927 to 10:00 Norwich to Thetford (Greater Anglia)
1024 to 1046 Thetford to Ely (East Midlands Railway)
1114 to 1149 Ely to Peterborough (CrossCountry)

in addition, would they accept travelling on the 0927 (or any) GA service from Norwich with a ticket to Peterborough provided they got off or broke their joruney at Ely (and maybe Thetford)? This may be because the EMR service would be delayed by over 20 minutes departing Norwich as seen a few times recently and that you can change at Ely to take XC. Journey planners also do not take into account travelling by GA or XC from Norwich to Peterborough as there a direct EMR service

And some people write something on a paper ticket to know its been checked (before) but does it still permit a break of journey ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gaelan

Unless there’s something subtle I’m missing here, looks entirely valid to me. In the vast majority of cases, as long as the sequence of stations you’re traveling through is valid, it doesn’t matter what combination of trains you use to do so.*

Train staff writing on your ticket doesn’t affect validity in any way, though you may have some explaining to do.

*exceptions: Advance tickets, of course. If your ticket explicitly has a TOC or route restriction, you have to follow that but aren’t otherwise restricted. Occasionally tickets will have a “no break of journey” restriction, which prevents leaving the station but not changing trains. There’s also a rule in the routeing guide that direct trains are always valid, which only applies if you in fact take the direct train, but in practice direct trains will almost always travel along an otherwise-permitted route anyway.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
As long as you stay on one permitted route from end to end of the ticket, and as long as you don't use any parts of the journey more than once, you may break your journey as many times as you like. I'm taking it as read here that there would be no restrictions on break of journey on the ticket, and you would be mindful not to keep using the ticket after it expires - of course your proposed itinerary would indeed avoid that.

blueberry11

With regards to the third paragraph I wrote, as long as the ticket doesn't state it is specific to a TOC or an advance ticket, you can travel with GA/XC and not EMR as long as you break your journey somewhere? I know that its definitely allowed if journey planners state a change but for some reason, only states direct EMR services from Norwich/Thetford to Peterborough.

Starmill

Veteran Member
With regards to the third paragraph I wrote, as long as the ticket doesn't state it is specific to a TOC or an advance ticket, you can travel with GA/XC and not EMR as long as you break your journey somewhere? I know that its definitely allowed if journey planners state a change but for some reason, only states direct EMR services from Norwich/Thetford to Peterborough.
Yes that is permitted. It may crop up from time to time even without breaks of journey, such as during engineering works or on Sundays.

Veteran Member
I know that its definitely allowed if journey planners state a change but for some reason, only states direct EMR services from Norwich/Thetford to Peterborough.
The obvious reason being that a journey by GA or by GA/XC is typically overtaken by the direct service, so you would have to exclude EM on your journey planner for it to show.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
By default, most journey planners typically only offer the fastest/non-overtaken options. Our booking site will offer alternatives, where they are cheaper, in Value/Cheap modes.

If you would like to force a particular via/calling/changing point, you can do that on our booking site; similarly you could specify TOC(s) to avoid, or TOC(s) to only include; these are all within 'Advanced options'.

Status
Not open for further replies.