• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break of journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

badger1badger

Monday just gone - I travelled from ilkley to Leeds on a day return bought at lunch time.

On my return I asked the guard if I could get off at burley and then get the next train later back to Leeds

He said you can this once ?

What are the rules regarding this ?

Cheers

Paul

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
Was it a off-peak day return or an anytime-day return?

Either way break of journey is allowed in both directions.

Established Member
Burley Park is on the Harrogate line so I don't see why an Ilkley - Leeds ticket would have been valid.

Best advice for the West Yorkshire area is to get a Day Rover which is available for Bus and Train or just Train. This is excellent value and allows travel across the West Yorkshire PTE area.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Monday just gone - I travelled from ilkley to Leeds on a day return bought at lunch time.

On my return I asked the guard if I could get off at burley and then get the next train later back to Leeds
Can you clarify as it's not clear
He said you can this once ?
???
What are the rules regarding this ?
No doubling back is permitted.
Break of journey is allowed an unlimited* number of times

(* Effectively limited by time and by the number of intermediate stations)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I still can't work out what happened: if he "travelled from ilkley to Leeds on a day return bought at lunch time" means he bought a ticket from Ilkley to Leeds for a day trip to Leeds, and then was on his return when he broke his journey at Burley in Wharfedale, he should not have been going to Leeds!

But it's very confusing and I suspect this is not what he meant, I suspect he was actually doing a Leeds to Ikley return.

The conversation with the guard about "only once" confuses me.

I can't figure this one out so am unable to assist the OP. I'd like to ask that any request for advice be made very clear so we can all understand what the question is. If we get confused with the question we may accidentally give inaccurate advice or advice that does not apply to the question.

Established Member
I still can't work out what happened: if he "travelled from ilkley to Leeds on a day return bought at lunch time" means he bought a ticket from Ilkley to Leeds for a day trip to Leeds, and then was on his return when he broke his journey at Burley in Wharfedale, he should not have been going to Leeds!

But it's very confusing and I suspect this is not what he meant, I suspect he was actually doing a Leeds to Ikley return.

The conversation with the guard about "only once" confuses me.

I can't figure this one out so am unable to assist the OP. I'd like to ask that any request for advice be made very clear so we can all understand what the question is. If we get confused with the question we may accidentally give inaccurate advice or advice that does not apply to the question.

I didn't notice that last time - I originally thought he went Ilkley - Leeds - Burley - Ilkley, so had a BOJ in Burley, then back to Ilkley.

4SRKT

Established Member
Clearly BOJ is valid at Burley on any ticket to Leeds bought at Ilkley, end of.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Clearly BOJ is valid at Burley on any ticket to Leeds bought at Ilkley, end of.
It is valid but the OP stated he also wanted to go "back to Leeds", which is fine if his ticket was the return portion of a Leeds to Ilkley ticket. However it is not clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.