• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Breaking Journeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveP29

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere and if I've posted in the wrong forum but I need a speedy answer if you good people would be so kind.

My stepdaughter is travelling from Stirling to Edinburgh on thursday, she wants to go to Kirkcaldy to pick up her friend who will be accompanying her to Edinburgh.

Am I right in saying that if she buys a ticket from Stirling to Edinburgh on the 'any permitted' route, as long as she begins and ends her journey on the day the ticket has been bought for, she can travel to Kirkcaldy and then onwards to Edinburgh on this one ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
All of the non-season walk-up tickets from Stirling to Edinburgh are routed Any Permitted, allow break of journey and only have validity for one day on the outbound portion.

However, National Rail Enquiries does not show Kirkcaldy as on a permitted route from Stirling to Edinburgh, so I do not believe this would be valid. The logical route is the direct train via Falkirk.

Perhaps they could just meet up in Edinburgh?
What is her plan for getting home? Does the want to return on the same day?

Last edited:

andythebrave

To meet up on the outward journey she would need a single from Stirling to Perth and a return from Perth to Edinburgh (which would be valid for both break of journey at Kirkcaldy and stopping short at Stirling on the return).

Still, it seems a long way round!

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
One option would be a return ticket: Stirling to Kirkcaldy.

Use the outbound portion to get to Kirkcaldy (changing at Edinburgh), then stop short on the return portion in Edinburgh.

The undiscounted Off-peak period return is £20.90

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.