• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brean Beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evening All,

I've just got back from a short holiday in Somerset and one of the places we visited was Brean Beach between Burnham-on-Sea and Weston-super-Mare. Like Black Rock Sands and Pendine Sands in Wales, it has sand that is firm enough to enable cars to be parked directly on the beach. It's around 6½ - 7 miles long and it has the second highest tidal range in the world, so when the tide goes out, it really does go out! Given good weather it's a splendid place to visit and on a clear day you can see the coast of South Wales across the Bristol Channel.

We were unlucky with the weather, but went there anyway. It was grey and windy, but I managed to shoot a few feet of video and if anyone's interested to see what it's like, here's the link:

TTFN,

Ron.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I went there a fair bit when I lived in Taunton. It is a stunning part of the world for sure.

It wasn't uncommon for some car owners to delay their return to their vehicle a bit longer than they should... if they were lucky one of the resident tractors would pull their car clear of the high water mark but sometimes there were too many cars and not enough time!

DelW

Established Member
While in the area, the walk out along Brean Down is well worthwhile too (it's the headland north of the beach, visible in the still photo attached to the video link above).

It's a spine of high ground projecting a mile or so out into the Severn Estuary, and on a clear day the views in all directions are fantastic. They include the islands of Steep Holm and Flat Holm, the coast and sometimes the mountains of south Wales, the coast of Somerset and possibly as far west as north Devon.

I went there a fair bit when I lived in Taunton. It is a stunning part of the world for sure.

It wasn't uncommon for some car owners to delay their return to their vehicle a bit longer than they should... if they were lucky one of the resident tractors would pull their car clear of the high water mark but sometimes there were too many cars and not enough time!

The same thing happens at Black Rock Sands in North Wales. I've seen cars up to their wheelarches in water as the tide comes in!

While in the area, the walk out along Brean Down is well worthwhile too (it's the headland north of the beach, visible in the still photo attached to the video link above).

It's a spine of high ground projecting a mile or so out into the Severn Estuary, and on a clear day the views in all directions are fantastic. They include the islands of Steep Holm and Flat Holm, the coast and sometimes the mountains of south Wales, the coast of Somerset and possibly as far west as north Devon.

We did go up Brean Down, but didn't have time to go right to the end. However, we saw enough to whet our appetite for a further visit...

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Anyone know what the public transport situation is like? I'm in Bristol so it looks like my best bet is the train to Weston and then a bus out to Brean and then a (decent couple of miles) walk up to the beach and Brean Down. Any better options?

Anyone know what the public transport situation is like? I'm in Bristol so it looks like my best bet is the train to Weston and then a bus out to Brean and then a (decent couple of miles) walk up to the beach and Brean Down. Any better options?

We did see some buses, but didn't know where they went. However, having googled it, it's route 20 from Weston to Burnham via Brean village so yes, that would appear to be the best, if not only, option. At least it starts from outside the station in W-s-M, but it doesn't run on Sundays and Mondays if the website I looked at can be believed.

PeterY

Established Member
I loved it down there when my father had his caravan at Burnham.:lol::lol: It was a cheap holiday. A lovely beach to walk along. I've done the whole length to Bream down and back to Burnham. Cream tea at Bird world. I did try and ride my bike along it once, it's part of a cycle route but it was heavy going. :'( :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.