• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bridge Pilotman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branch line

Has anybody got any idea where this title would apply on a UK Railway historically as I have armband
with this title.Only reference I can find to this specific grade is the Yarmouth-Beccles section.Could it have been for temporary working ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
When I was in Edinburgh in the 1970s and went over the Forth Bridge on a couple of winter Sundays, despite it having double crossovers at both ends there was no wrong line signalling and a pilotman, with armband, took the dmu driver to and fro between the stations at either end when there were pw works in hand.

Branch line

Thanks for that information, this could be be a possibility . This Armband is obviously used where piloting over a bridge is a regular occurrence.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
When I was in Edinburgh in the 1970s and went over the Forth Bridge on a couple of winter Sundays, despite it having double crossovers at both ends there was no wrong line signalling and a pilotman, with armband, took the dmu driver to and fro between the stations at either end when there were pw works in hand.
Just to point out that with re-signalling in 1978 or 1979 bi-directional signalling was installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.