• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bridgnorth Castle Hill Railway Reopening March 4th

John Luxton

Established Member
It has been annouced that the Bridgnorth Castle Hill Railway which provides a link between the higher and lower town areas of the Shropshire town and Britain's only working inland cliff railway is finally due to reopen next Monday - March 4th.

The railway has been closed since a retaining wall which was owned by the local council was condemned in December 2022 and required substantial remedial work. The railway has also announced that it is going to accept card payments, it had previously been cash only.

It is an interesting little line which as a child was my first encounter with a cliff railway in the 1960s when my father took me to Bridgnorth for a trip.

In the past 40 years I have made quite a few visits to Bridgnorth for the SVR - but didn't get round to taking a trip on the Castle Hill Railway again until 2022, my last having probably been around 1970 when my parents took me to the SVR shortly after it reopened and we then walked into town.

Anyway it is good to see the line reopening as due to the slowness in which the remedial wall work was undertaken the future of the line appeared to be in some doubt.

Bridgnorth Cliff Railway sets reopening date​

Bridgnorth cliff railway, which has been closed for 14 months for major repairs, is to reopen on Monday.
It has been out of action since damage was discovered to a retaining wall, owned by the town council.
Work to replace it has cost £750,000, with the authority partially funding it through a loan.
The funicular railway connects low town to high town and local residents will be able to enjoy free travel on it until 8 March.