• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighouse to Ely or Ipswich & return, 10th July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi all, just wondering what my cheapest option would be to do the above journey on the 10th July? I've had a look myself and the best I can find so far is £26.45, by doing Brighouse-Chesterfield SDR @ £6.65 and then EMT Advances CHD-ELY @ £9.90 each way. I have a 16-25 railcard, but am I likely to get it any lower than this. I'll be doing an Anglia Plus Day Ranger, hence starting from either Ely or Ipswich.

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Its not as Cheap as or Cheaper than the Advance option but :

Brighouse - Sheffield "Not Leeds" OPDR £5.00
Sheffield - Nottingham OPDR £7.20
Nottingham - Grantham OPDR £4.70
Grantham - Ely OPDR £10.85

comes to £27.75

and for a little bit extra Brighouse - Nottingham OPR at £14.25 would from what I can tell give you a bit of extra validy in the form of being able to go via Bradford,Halifax and Leeds to for instance catch the 2308 Leeds - Huddersfield.

Total £29.80

Good Flexible option that doesn't tie you to a specific train.

Last edited:

Many thanks 323235, I'll save that tiny bit more and go for a BGH-CHD which is £6.65 and as route:any permitted allows me to go via Leeds!

Established Member
Many thanks 323235, I'll save that tiny bit more and go for a BGH-CHD which is £6.65 and as route:any permitted allows me to go via Leeds!

well Technically that ticket is only valid via Penistone or Wakefield and is not valid via Leeds,
however Nationalrail does offer it as a journey option.

Last edited:

Never had any problems with it so far, indeed when I have gone via Leeds before this is the ticket I have been sold by the guard.

Established Member
I doubt many guards would ever have looked it up in the Routing Guide, as from a Common Sense point of view, to most it would probably seem a reasonable route.
Even then as National Rail offers it via Leeds,they can't really enforce it, unless they changed it from an "Any Permitted" to "Not Leeds", which I'm surprised it isn't already.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A good day to do an Anglia Plus would be Friday 13 August, as there are loco hauled additional services for the Lowestoft air show.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No, but someone else here may (I suggest posting in special workings section) and I believe so.

Have decided to go via the East Coast now for £3.70 more.

Brighouse-Doncaster SDR £8.10
Doncaster-Grantham CDR £14.15
Grantham-Ely CDR £10.85

Total £33.10

Does anyone know if there is a GC only Brighouse-Doncaster fare, and if so how much it is with railcard?

Cheers for all help

Established Member
I can't find any on my copy of Avantix for that section of the route. Seems they haven't yet got round to putting in Local Fares.

Last edited:

sonic2009

Established Member

Grantham-Ely CDR £10.85

Total £33.10

Does anyone know if there is a GC only Brighouse-Doncaster fare, and if so how much it is with railcard?

Cheers for all help

a brighouse to pontefract CDR is £2.15 route not leeds.with a 16-25 railcard
a pontrefact to rotherham central via doncaster is £4.90 with a 16-25 railcard.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Grantham-Ely CDR £10.85

Total £33.10

Cheers for all help

Save yourself 80p. with this combo.

Doncaster to Newark SDR £11.20 with 16-25
Lincoln to Ely CDR £13.00. valid via newark.

total cost £24.20

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately I cannot use the lincoln split as the trains I intend to catch do not call there and those that do will not get me in at the times required. Also I may need to come back via Leeds in the evening, so the Pontefract split won't help this time. Useful for future reference though!

button_boxer

Established Member
Thank you for the information. Unfortunately I cannot use the lincoln split as the trains I intend to catch do not call there and those that do will not get me in at the times required. Also I may need to come back via Leeds in the evening, so the Pontefract split won't help this time. Useful for future reference though!

The Lincoln split is fine if the train you intend to catch stops at Newark (you'd be "starting late" on the Lincoln to Ely ticket, only using it from Newark).

The return train I intend to catch doesn't call at Newark and thus the Lincoln ticket wouldn't be valid, but thanks anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.