• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bright Bus Airport Express service

roadierway77

Bright Bus Tours have begun to tease the launch of the new airport express service between Waterloo Place and Edinburgh Airport, competing with Lothian Buses' Airlink 100, so it's likely time for a new thread after the demise of the previous Scotland East thread. The timetable for the airport service is available already on bustimes.org: https://bustimes.org/services/airx-edinburgh-edinburgh-airport

Here is a link to the tweet, with an image provided below - I imagine the same teaser has been posted on Facebook as well: https://twitter.com/BrightBusEDI/status/1734966567970963539?t=mA8g3W5QKFeC7QqmJH41DQ&s=19

1702486506174.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Auld reekie

Was there not a stipulation that buses had to be relativity new for Airport services?

ChrisPJ

Easyjet called, they’re not entirely happy about the orange and white branding.

JD2168

The livery is quite similar to the Bright Bus Tours livery so it fits in well, not sure about the Bright Bus logo on the side, looks like a bit of an afterthought.

KGGXXXY

Looks like Strathclyde red to me
I'm sure I read on a flickr photo caption inside Caledonia depot when First Glasgow did the heritage liveries the Orange used for the "Strathclyde Red" bus was used for Bright Bus Tours when First Launched it. Can't find the source.

megabusser

Can’t help but think that cherry-picking Lothian’s profitable services in the way that they are is just making the case for franchising or other regulation of bus services, presumably exactly what McGills don’t want!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I don't know how much space there is at "Stop E" at the Airport. Is it a problem that almost all of the Edinburgh Airport - Dundee services depart at the same time as buses on this new service?

Spsf3232

Can’t help but think that cherry-picking Lothian’s profitable services in the way that they are is just making the case for franchising or other regulation of bus services, presumably exactly what McGills don’t want!
Competition is a good thing, wishing it gone will be the downfall of the industry

roadierway77

Personally I'm dubious about this service, it may do well but it doesn't offer many advantages over Airlink. Older vehicles, less convenient departure point at the airport, lower frequency, roughly equal journey time... the big benefits of this service over Airlink is the lower fares and connection to Waverley, though as many have mentioned it's likely tourists will just board the first bus they see. Of course it also has the potential to indirectly reduce fares on Airlink, but I imagine Lothian would only do this if it appears the Bright Bus services are carrying decent loads of passengers.

Anyway - here's a photo of SN62AYB in the new airport livery shared by Alex Hornby and Bright Bus on social media (source: https://twitter.com/BrightBusEDI/status/1735243331385414138). They've certainly got attractive, modern branding, and the colour scheme definitely makes the vehicles stand out in comparison to the Airlink XLBs:
GBTSE-MXEAEB54O

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Personally I'm dubious about this service, it may do well but it doesn't offer many advantages over Airlink. Older vehicles, less convenient departure point at the airport, lower frequency, roughly equal journey time... the big benefits of this service over Airlink is the lower fares and connection to Waverley, though as many have mentioned it's likely tourists will just board the first bus they see. Of course it also has the potential to indirectly reduce fares on Airlink, but I imagine Lothian would only do this if it appears the Bright Bus services are carrying decent loads of passengers.

Anyway - here's a photo of SN62AYB in the new airport livery shared by Alex Hornby and Bright Bus on social media (source: https://twitter.com/BrightBusEDI/status/1735243331385414138). They've certainly got attractive, modern branding, and the colour scheme definitely makes the vehicles stand out in comparison to the Airlink XLBs:

One small luggage rack!!!!!! Not legal to fill the aisles with luggage, how poorly thought through is this?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Competition is a good thing, wishing it gone will be the downfall of the industry
Is it?

Most areas don't have competition.

Buses have plenty of competition from private cars, taxis, trains.

How does splitting passengers over two providers, forcing them to choose only some of the services running, a good thing. In areas where more passengers are using tickets valid on multiple operators it can be good for passengers. Otherwise it's increasing the cost base within the industry without increasing the income as much.

Theproinsider

GBTSE-MXEAEB54O
Attractive? Modern? Just take anything from Ray's drawing book and paste it on from the last 10 years. It's almost as if Hornby has only one idea and recycles it.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
It's a Stenning job, while his stuff does look very good it all tends to follow similar design patterns.
He’s been churning out the same stuff for twenty years. His stuff looks dated now.
Is it though? On road competition is illusory at best. A bright orange bus with identikit Stenning logos isn’t really going to change anything. It might cause Lothian to temporarily drop their prices, but that’s not going to bring about real improvement to the bus industry either.

Bwsbro

Attractive? Modern? Just take anything from Ray's drawing book and paste it on from the last 10 years. It's almost as if Hornby has only one idea and recycles it.
What you were meant to say that was #amazing idea haha

On a more serious note, unless the fares are considerably cheaper compared to Lothian or some deal if booked with Bright Bus Open Top buses for Traveling, I doubt how many passengers there is for the new service. When I was up in Edinburgh during the summer, a lot of passengers were heading for the Tram into town

Also will they have enough drivers for the new service. The former operations struggled and that was after the reduction of services (e.g No Sunday Buses) How many of the former Livingstone Drivers have stayed with McGills?

peterblue

Tourists just tend to take the first service that turns up and/or the service with the most aggressive marketing at the airport itself. The livery doesn't matter much to tourists or visitors who just want to get to the city centre.

ian1944

Starting at Waterloo Place will be a plus point for anyone fron E Lothian, with the terminus just being a step away from the incoming stop. Taking the 100 requires crossing Princes St to St Andrew Square, or joining at Shandwick Place (OK for X6 and X7, a road crossing required for 113 and 124, hopeless for X5). Joining at the terminus gives better seat choice, or even a seat at all.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Notable that they do not list child fares, that would be useful for anyone who doesn't live in Scotland (i.e. half the people from the airport!)
All fare details including child fares are now on their site:

prices​

Adult single £4 / Child single £2.75

Adult return £6.50 / Child return £5.25

return + City tour £24.50

return + Both tours £31.50

Edinburgh Explorer £40.50
No mention of any weekly tickets just for people between the Airport and City, so the Ridacard with Lothian may still be the best option for regular travellers . I doubt many people will find the 'Edinburgh Explorer' (7 days to use on the Airport Express and tours) particularly useful.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member

No mention of any weekly tickets just for people between the Airport and City, so the Ridacard with Lothian may still be the best option for regular travellers . I doubt many people will find the 'Edinburgh Explorer' (7 days to use on the Airport Express and tours) particularly useful.

Does that "explorer" include the X38/20/63?

I do think it’s interesting why child fares are no longer “half” fares.