• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton Mainline Abreviation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi does anyone know the official abbreviation for the Brighton main. I always thought it was the BML. But some say that that is infact the official term for the SWML

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jnjkerbin

BML is the Engineers' Line Reference for the SWML, presumably as in the Bournemouth MainLine. The Brighton Mainline's ELR is VTB, presumably VicToria to Brighton.

Hope this helps :)

WestCountry

I'd heard that as well, but Network Rail's 2011 Route Utilisation Strategy contains the phrase:
Significant additional capacity is now being provided on Network Rail’s Sussex route – the Brighton Main Line (BML) and branches, plus the South London suburban area – through an extensive train lengthening programme and the implementation of the Thameslink Programme.
:|

jnjkerbin

There's many lines where the traditional acronym is different from the ELR. For example the South Eastern Mainline (SEML) is XTD (charing X to Tonbridge to Dover), the Great Western Mainline (GWML) is MLN etc. etc.

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
Does the RUS use any other Engineer's Line References? I bet it doesn't. It was probably written by people who aren't in the habit of using them.

Eagle

Established Member
Besides, some of them aren't exactly useful. The WCML uses three different combinations of letters (LEC, CGJ and WCM), and obviously its branches use different ones again such as RBS (Rugby–Birmingham–Stafford). MLN refers not only to London–Bristol but also Bristol–Penzance. Some of them don't actually make sense as through routes anymore, like WEY which is Chippenham–Dorchester.

I think it's safe to use BML to mean the Brighton Mainline, and SWML for the South West Mainline (Waterloo–Weymouth). Although some people use SWML to mean South Wales Mainline (Swindon–Swansea via the Severn Tunnel). And just to confuse you further, the ELR of SWM means Swindon–Swansea via Gloucester.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Besides, some of them aren't exactly useful. The WCML uses three different combinations of letters (LEC, CGJ and WCM), and obviously its branches use different ones again such as RBS (Rugby–Birmingham–Stafford). MLN refers not only to London–Bristol but also Bristol–Penzance. Some of them don't actually make sense as through routes anymore, like WEY which is Chippenham–Dorchester.

I think it's safe to use BML to mean the Brighton Mainline, and SWML for the South West Mainline (Waterloo–Weymouth). Although some people use SWML to mean South Wales Mainline (Swindon–Swansea via the Severn Tunnel). And just to confuse you further, the ELR of SWM means Swindon–Swansea via Gloucester.

The best one is TLA for the Stansted North Chord. Apparently stands for Third London Airport and Three Letter Acronym!

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The Brighton Mainline's ELR is VTB, presumably VicToria to Brighton.

Close, very close:-

VTB is Victoria To Brighton.

Besides, some of them aren't exactly useful. The WCML uses three different combinations of letters (LEC, CGJ and WCM)

Would that be London Euston ~ Crewe; Crewe ~ Gretna Junction; & West Coast Main?

That said, I always get the feeling that CGJ is Carlisle ~ Grand Junction too. Must dig out my Quails

MLN refers not only to London–Bristol but also Bristol–Penzance.

I believe that ELRs were a Great Western thing so their mainline became the original mainline ~ MLN.

Does any line have ELR as its ELR?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.