• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton to Hertford North

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
If I'm traveling from Brighton to Hertford North can I go via Stevenage or do I have to change at Finsbury Park?

Have a super off peak ticket.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not valid; if you want to go via Stevenage both ways, I would suggest using Trainsplit, which will identify a suitable combination of tickets.

If you want to go via Stevenage in one direction only, a return to Stevenage could be used via Hertford and you could break your journey there.

paul1609

Established Member
If its a journey that your doing regularly and your only using GTR trains you can use Key go pay as you go on a Key Smartcard.
I wouldn't recommend it if you are for instance travelling to Hertford and then returning from Stevenage as you will end up being charged two singles but it will in my experience work okay if you travel the interim bit Hertford to Stevenage by train.
The Super Off Peak return to Hertford North is £5.50 cheaper than to Stevenage which presumably may have some bearing on your enquiry.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If its a journey that your doing regularly and your only using GTR trains you can use Key go pay as you go on a Key Smartcard.
I wouldn't recommend it if you are for instance travelling to Hertford and then returning from Stevenage as you will end up being charged two singles but it will in my experience work okay if you travel the interim bit Hertford to Stevenage by train.
The Super Off Peak return to Hertford North is £5.50 cheaper than to Stevenage which presumably may have some bearing on your enquiry.
I think KeyGo ought to be able to handle this OK even if the OP doesn't travel to/from Hertford on both legs - as the routes via Hertford North and Welwyn are both likely to be deemed to be part of the same route by KeyGo's logic as London-Stevenage. At least, that would seem the obvious thing to program!

KeyGo also has the advantage that it allows routes which would ordinarily be non-permitted on through tickets.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Despite what KeyGo may allow, it has to also be remembered that Brighton - Stevenage - Hertford North involves passing through ticket gates at Stevenage to access the bay platform for Hertford North trains.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Despite what KeyGo may allow, it has to also be remembered that Brighton - Stevenage - Hertford North involves passing through ticket gates at Stevenage to access the bay platform for Hertford North trains.
Indeed - so it is unlikely that you would just be charged the cost of a return to Hertford North. Nevertheless, with no specific mechanism for passengers to know in advance what the system will charge them, GTR are (at least on the first occasion that someone does this) limited to charging a "reasonable" price and no more (section 51 of the Consumer Rights Act refers).

Status
Not open for further replies.