• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Country Independents

Martin2012

With the exception of Callington Road in Brislington aren't most areas of the 57 served by the 2 or X39?

Remember being told the 67 is worked off the back of a school journey and I'm assuming the ASDA services all are too?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
With the exception of Callington Road in Brislington aren't most areas of the 57 served by the 2 or X39?

Remember being told the 67 is worked off the back of a school journey and I'm assuming the ASDA services all are too?
The 57 has been dying on its @r5£ for the last few years, losing its off peak times (save the 67 runs). You’re right in that it has little singular attraction in that the 349/X39 and the 2 duplicate the main flows at much higher frequencies.

67 does run off a school run (460?)

DaveHarries

Established Member
What an end for the 57! From its heyday of Henbury to Stockwood.
Indeed. I used to use it back in the days when I was at Weston College: I used to get the 57 to Hotwells and pick up the X1 from there. Used to work well as the connection time was about 10 minutes.

I saw a 57 the other day, albeit a Solo, and it was fairly well loaded.

Dave

Class 33

Established Member
And pre-October 1986, the 57 was a Stockwood-Keynsham service. Running a very long way around between the two terminating points!

-Colly405-

... And they must be short of vehicles. Just seen a (the?) Blue solo on the 10, destination reading as "Wessex", and route number hand written on a piece of A4 in the windscreen. Haven't seen that sort of attention to detail (!) for a few years!

RhysHand

... And they must be short of vehicles. Just seen a (the?) Blue solo on the 10, destination reading as "Wessex", and route number hand written on a piece of A4 in the windscreen. Haven't seen that sort of attention to detail (!) for a few years!

They will not be short of vehicles that's for sure. That will be because they are stupidly running their Bath services out of Avonmouth. So that'll mean any bus will get used for anything when and if they allocate. All I will say is, get as many photos of Wessex buses, while you can....

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
They will not be short of vehicles that's for sure. That will be because they are stupidly running their Bath services out of Avonmouth. So that'll mean any bus will get used for anything when and if they allocate. All I will say is, get as many photos of Wessex buses, while you can....
Whilst the Burnett depot has closed, it is still rare to see anything other than some battered e200 on the 10/11

An app developer who did work for a number of bus companies has given up?

The rumours about Wessex have been circulating for some time, either in terms of closure or sale.

WelshBluebird

Established Member

Sad really as when I was at Bath uni Wessex were the ones who came in and forced some competition on the uni routes which led to First having to make their offerings better.
Ah well, such things happen. As long as they carry on for the next month while I move then I'm happy! (as the 20 is the easiest way to move stuff from my current place to where I'm moving to over the next few weeks).

-Colly405-

if I'm reading between the lines correctly, (and 24th August is basically 8 weeks away...) it is strange that they've only just taken over the 515

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
if I'm reading between the lines correctly, (and 24th August is basically 8 weeks away...) it is strange that they've only just taken over the 515
Depends if they’re selling rather than closing. Also, Wessex do make some interesting decisions like the Bath uni fast link appearing towards the end of the academic year and then going with all the rest of the uni routes (save the 20)

RhysHand

You can all put your offers in to Rotala if you want to buy it, you can buy the business as a going concern, or the premises..

robertclark125

Established Member
How many Wessex double deckers got moved to Preston bus and when? Im in Blackpool on holiday and saw one on Monday afternoon having done a Blackpool schools service still in Wessex livery

vicbury

Sad really as when I was at Bath uni Wessex were the ones who came in and forced some competition on the uni routes which led to First having to make their offerings better.
Ah well, such things happen. As long as they carry on for the next month while I move then I'm happy! (as the 20 is the easiest way to move stuff from my current place to where I'm moving to over the next few weeks).
Yes around 7-10 years ago, maybe even 5 years ago, they did force First to up their game. But in the last five years almost everything they have done has been counter-innovative (copying First routes two minutes ahead of First) or low-risk (Council contracts).

Can't think many people will miss them. CT Plus seem best placed to gain. Although Stagecoach have gone quiet - either lost interest or plotting something?

freetoview33

Established Member
Yes around 7-10 years ago, maybe even 5 years ago, they did force First to up their game. But in the last five years almost everything they have done has been counter-innovative (copying First routes two minutes ahead of First) or low-risk (Council contracts).

Can't think many people will miss them. CT Plus seem best placed to gain. Although Stagecoach have gone quiet - either lost interest or plotting something?
I think Rotala were committed to Bristol but I think they moved resources to Birmingham when better opportunities came up. I can't see a future for Abus or Wessex much past the end of this year.

I think Stagecoach will look at taking on more South Gloucestershire routes, like 625, 626, 202, 207, 40 and 41 if any routes like this become available.

Then maybe if they build a bit more of a solid base, they may try to compete on routes like T1/T2/46/47/X46/X47/X49.

And maybe some other odd, routes they could come up with!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I think Rotala were committed to Bristol but I think they moved resources to Birmingham when better opportunities came up. I can't see a future for Abus or Wessex much past the end of this year.

I think Stagecoach will look at taking on more South Gloucestershire routes, like 625, 626, 202, 207, 40 and 41 if any routes like this become available.

Then maybe if they build a bit more of a solid base, they may try to compete on routes like T1/T2/46/47/X46/X47/X49.

And maybe some other odd, routes they could come up with!
A lot of mights and maybes. They might buy Wessex or not or decide that they aren’t so keen on low margin tenders?

The 41 isn’t a South Glos route but a Wiltshire tender as part of an integrated award with other Malmesbury services.

-Colly405-

I can't see a future for Abus or Wessex much past the end of this year.
Abus is an interesting one. I may be very wide of the Mark, but it looks as though Alan has decided to focus on one type of income (i.e. the work with/for First, however that is funded), rather than the work contracted to LAs and supermarkets, which I would think may be lower margin?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Abus is an interesting one. I may be very wide of the Mark, but it looks as though Alan has decided to focus on one type of income (i.e. the work with/for First, however that is funded), rather than the work contracted to LAs and supermarkets, which I would think may be lower margin?
That and the challenge of getting and keeping drivers. Given that they have just repainted the first Citaro into Excel colours, think Abus might well be focussing on the commercial work.