• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Country Independents

Whiteway215

Established Member
PH1066711/50 Cancelled
WESSEX BUS LTD

Route: University of Bath to University of Bath via Royal United Hospital

Service number: 20A (20C)

Service type: Normal Stopping

Effective date: 01 Sep 2018
If there is to be a replacement service possibly from Monday 3 September when would the new service
have to be registered with the appropriate body?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlberry

Established Member
If there is to be a replacement service possibly from Monday 3 September when would the new service
have to be registered with the appropriate body?
I believe the new rules state 4 weeks, or up to 8 weeks if the local authority don't cooperate (it used to be 6 weeks). As long as the local authority supported it (which, I assume, they would as a replacement) then it could be done as a 'short notice' change up to the last minute.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Anyone have any details on the changes reported today for the replacement of the 20A/C?

it sounds like my initial worries were unfounded, but its hard to get an idea without an actual map of the proposed new routes! Tried to map out some of it myself against Google maps though, certainly the U2 route sounds a bit interesting and long winded! (i guess that technically belongs in the First bus thread rather than this one though!)

From 2nd September, an hourly service 20 will operate between the University of Bath and Twerton via Widcombe, the City Centre, Marlborough Buildings, the RUH and Oldfield Park.

The service will divert to run through the Bath Riverside development when the through road is opened. This section of route is largely unchanged from present, but the stop in Ivo Peters Road (at Green Park Sainsbury’s) will no longer be served.

The current section of route between Twerton and the University of Bath via Combe Down will be replaced by First’s service U2 which will be changed to run from the university via Combe Down and Rush Hill to Southdown, then a loop via Coronation Avenue, Twerton and Whiteway, then back via Rush Hill and Combe Down to the university.

Service U2 will run every 15 – 20 minutes in term times and every hour in university holidays and on Saturdays.

https://www.bathecho.co.uk/news/community/buses-banes-change-review-supported-services-79350/https://www.bathecho.co.uk/news/community/buses-banes-change-review-supported-services-79350/

Whiteway215

Established Member
In my humble opinion I don't think you can really work out exactly which route the U2 will take after Rush Hill coming from the Uni. It may turn into Englishcombe Lane then first left into Mount Road and follow the existing 1 route through Southdown then down Coronation Avenue. Quite where it goes after that is the question. I would think it would traverse Oldfield Park (where lots of students use the existing U2) but quite where it goes then is anyone's guess. There are a number of ways it could go to serve Twerton and Whiteway before returning to the Uni.

I think we will have to wait a bit longer for the details to come out. Perhaps The Grand Wazoo will add the U2 to his 'picks for hidden treasures' to show parts of the City of Bath and views you never knew existed!!!!!???

Dai Corner

Established Member
Not sure if this is of interest but I saw a Wessex bus branded for the 20 on the 625 at Cribbs Causeway today.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Given Wessex's previous approach to route branding I suspect it'll remain on the 625!

Diamond Bus are just as bad...we've had buses branded one route spend 6 months on another after being withdrawn from the branded route, then get returned to the route they were took off....

.....only for the branding to be made obsolete following the night and Sunday contracted service moving to a different operator...

*cough*Swift226 *cough*

diffywood

SHOCK AS 51 BUS IS AXED BY A SECOND OPERATOR

THE 51 BUS service, saved by public demand two years ago when former operator First pulled out, has now been dropped by its rescuer, bus company Wessex.

The shock news arrives through Lib Dem councillors in South Bristol, who say they will carry on fighting for it.

UPDATE: It appears that First Bus may be ready to take the 51 service on for a second time – but the Voice has so far been unable to confirm this.

Knowle Lib Dem councillor Gary Hopkins and his Whitchurch colleague Tim Kent reported that Wessex Bus will withdraw their involvement from the end of August.

The 51 service was threatened two years ago when First Bus decided to cancel the service, which has operated for several decades.

The route runs from South Bristol Hospital to Whitchurch, Hengrove and Knowle to Broadwalk and along Wells Rd to Temple Meads and Union Street in the city centre.

It carries about 400,000 passengers a year, but Wessex have apparently concluded they cannot run it profitably.

The Voice will seek comment from Wessex and from the council for an updated story in the next issue of the magazine, delivered from July 26.

The service was saved in 2016 following a campaign by residents and led by Lib Dem councillors, who invited Wessex to take over after First pulled out.

Knowle Cllr Gary Hopkins said: “This is a vital route for South Bristol linking many communities to the centre, Broadwalk and the South Bristol Hospital. We know the route can be run at a profit and we have already reached out to other bus companies in hope that they will register a new service.

“This will be devastating news for our residents and communities. We are determined to do everything we can to find a replacement operator.”

Cllr Tim Kent said: “We thank Wessex for running the service for the last two years which has seen around 750,000 passenger journeys in that time. We are now reaching out to other bus companies and we are determined to do everything we can to see a replacement service up and operating in September.”

The 2016 campaign website can be found at www.save51bus.weebly.com

carlberry

Established Member
SHOCK AS 51 BUS IS AXED BY A SECOND OPERATOR

THE 51 BUS service, saved by public demand two years ago when former operator First pulled out, has now been dropped by its rescuer, bus company Wessex.

The 2016 campaign website can be found at www.save51bus.weebly.com
I'm not sure how this is shock news. As usual the services saved by 'public demand' suddenly find there isn't the same amount of public demand when it comes to actually using it! From memory nobody thanked First for running the service for the previous 20 years when they withdrew it!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I'm not sure how this is shock news. As usual the services saved by 'public demand' suddenly find there isn't the same amount of public demand when it comes to actually using it! From memory nobody thanked First for running the service for the previous 20 years when they withdrew it!

Indeed - not a surprise on many levels. When will we get the news that Wessex are shutting up shop entirely?

-Colly405-

Indeed - not a surprise on many levels. When will we get the news that Wessex are shutting up shop entirely?
Rhys did hint at this...

It looks as though they may have deregistered the 10 too, per Traveline (although there could of course simply just be timetable changes afoot, but its been over a week since the current times were given an end date of 1/9, and nothing has appeared to replace them yet...)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Rhys did hint at this...

It looks as though they may have deregistered the 10 too, per Traveline (although there could of course simply just be timetable changes afoot, but its been over a week since the current times were given an end date of 1/9, and nothing has appeared to replace them yet...)

I meant officially from them :smile:

The rumours on the 'vine were circulating even without Rhys's hints.

winston270twm

Established Member
PH1066711/127 Cancelled
WESSEX BUS LTD
Route: Odd Down Park & Ride to Bath, Royal United Hospital via Southdoen, Twerton Bridge
Service number: 42
Effective date: 31 Aug 2018

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
PH1066711/127 Cancelled
WESSEX BUS LTD
Route: Odd Down Park & Ride to Bath, Royal United Hospital via Southdoen, Twerton Bridge
Service number: 42
Effective date: 31 Aug 2018

Well Winston - are we looking at a 1st September cessation of operations???? The 20A/C is already lined up and whilst the cancellation hasn't gone through, the 51 is reported to go at the end of August

Would imagine that we could be looking at a de minimis extension of the 4 to the P&R, as per Sat and Sun to replace this one?

winston270twm

Established Member
Well Winston - are we looking at a 1st September cessation of operations???? The 20A/C is already lined up and whilst the cancellation hasn't gone through, the 51 is reported to go at the end of August

Would imagine that we could be looking at a de minimis extension of the 4 to the P&R, as per Sat and Sun to replace this one?

It's looking that way..... unless it's a phased closure. That now just leaves the 12 in Bath doesn't it?

There's still the 3A/B/C/X, 10/11/11A, 508, 513, 514, 515, 625 & Bicester Shuttles T.B.C

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Surely the Bicester stuff could easily come under Flights or *shudders* Diamond should Rotala be closing Wessex

-Colly405-

You do have to wonder whether either the increase in Stagecoach numberof o-licences at Patchway and/or the "FoxStar Bus" rebrand of the @Cityfoxbus twitter account (and move to orange) are linked to the future of Wessex...

freetoview33

Established Member
You do have to wonder whether either the increase in Stagecoach numberof o-licences at Patchway and/or the "FoxStar Bus" rebrand of the @Cityfoxbus twitter account (and move to orange) are linked to the future of Wessex...
I'd put more money on Stagecoach taking on at least the 10 and 625, maybe the 3's and SNF too!
BCT will most likely take on 513/514/515.
First take on the 51.
Then Stagecoach or BCT for the 11/11A and 508.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Well, Stagecoach would be well placed with a proven record with both SGC and BCC.

Rhys did seem to wish to distance himself from Wessex....
I am interested to know what you think there is to buy...
...but perhaps he may feel that there is finally an opportunity after the 520 and 51 ones in the past.

robertclark125

Established Member
Just as an extra thought on this, if Rotala has decided to close Wessex, or dispose of the remaining operations, they may well have to inform the stock exchange, IF it was thought it would affect the share price. Rotala PLC is listed on the Alternative Investments Market.

winston270twm

Established Member
Just as an extra thought on this, if Rotala has decided to close Wessex, or dispose of the remaining operations, they may well have to inform the stock exchange, IF it was thought it would affect the share price. Rotala PLC is listed on the Alternative Investments Market.

Wessex isn't big enough to warrant an RNS to the LSE.
Well, Stagecoach would be well placed with a proven record with both SGC and BCC.

Rhys did seem to wish to distance himself from Wessex....
...but perhaps he may feel that there is finally an opportunity after the 520 and 51 ones in the past.

I'm thinking a deal could get done with Stagecoach to take on the remainder of Wessex, then either sell or lease Avonmouth garage.

Surely the Bicester stuff could easily come under Flights or *shudders* Diamond should Rotala be closing Wessex

There is no more Flights, there's Hallmark. But Diamond's Redditch depot is actually closer to Bicester than Avonmouth is.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
There is no more Flights, there's Hallmark. But Diamond's Redditch depot is actually closer to Bicester than Avonmouth is.

Yeah, Hallmark is what I meant. It's one of those things that stuck in my head, like Wessex Connect!

Knowing what Diamond are like, having the misfortune of having to rely on them most days (Kidderminster depot services), and from what I've seen of Diamond in the media and Twitter (wheels falling off, going down a taxi rank the wrong way, speeding and buses with dodgy Speedos/panels/fuel smells etc), I would really feel sorry for the people who use that shuttle, should Rotala close down the Wessex ops and give control of it to Diamond...