• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Country Independents

NJ51

These are used on the 52, 505 and 506 (Broad Weir-Southmead). They also have some Mercedes minibuses, used on the 506 shuttle to Create Centre, 511 and 512. I don't know what they're using on the 672.
When I passed the afternoon 672 in Chew Stoke yesterday it was operated by Enviro 1287 - YX17NRY

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlberry

Established Member
Carmel coaches have been running a double decker for the last few days. An Abus decker has been covering for the usual E300 on the X6 school service and the X54 to Nailsea in the evenings. Two different ones have been used so, I assume, it's a short term loan.

Martin2012

Could it maybe be that the passenger numbers on the X5 service have significantly increased since the start of September hence a decker is needed?

freetoview33

Established Member
Public Inquiry (77277) held at Jubilee House (Bristol), BS5 0GB, Croydon Street, Bristol, on 20 August 2018 commenced at 10:30 (Previous Publication:(2656)) Previous hearing on 04 July 2018 was adjourned. PH1094121 SN ABUS LTD Director(s): ALAN JAMES PETERS, GLYNIS MILDRED PETERS 104 WINCHESTER ROAD, BRISLINGTON, BRISTOL, BS4 3WL S17 - Formal warning in respect of the maintenance shortcomings identified by DVSA. S17 - Licence suspended for with effect from 23:59 hrs, 31 March 2019 until such time as the operation is regularised.
So the saga continues.

-Colly405-

So the saga continues.
I don't get it. If the maintenance shortcomings are significant enough for the licence to be suspended, why isn't it being suspended until 6 months time? They clearly can't have concerns over passenger safety, or they would suspend with immediate effect, wouldn't they?

freetoview33

Established Member
I don't get it. If the maintenance shortcomings are significant enough for the licence to be suspended, why isn't it being suspended until 6 months time? They clearly can't have concerns over passenger safety, or they would suspend with immediate effect, wouldn't they?
I wonder if this will spark First to take over the X8 and 349 now.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Because it may be that the remedy is to have a new transport manager, or implement changes to the maintenance reporting system, or a number of other possible measures.

Depends on the extent and severity of any breach, and previous repute of the operator.

Andyh82

Established Member
What operator is it that are using overall yellow Volvo Olympians in service in Bristol?

Andyh82

Established Member
Have all the Presidents transferred from First to CT Plus? I think they need 2 buses for the T1 and 4 for the U3?

From observing yesterday whilst I was in Bristol, buses come off the U3 to operate the T1. I expect the same happens in a morning as well.

Also in the afternoon peak one of the boards on the U3 is an E200 single deck, I don’t know what route this runs off, if any.

Volvodart

Established Member
Because it may be that the remedy is to have a new transport manager, or implement changes to the maintenance reporting system, or a number of other possible measures.

Depends on the extent and severity of any breach, and previous repute of the operator.

The following link may help!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/adbus-ltd-and-alan-james-peters

DECISIONS
30. Pursuant to findings under Section 17(3)(aa) of the 1981 Act (condition of
vehicles), the operator is issued a formal warning in relation to the
shortcomings identified by DVSA.
31. Pursuant to a finding under Section 17(1)(e), a material change between
the circumstances of the operator between those apparent now and those
thought to be in place at time of licence grant, that is, that the applicant
would be the vehicle operator, the licence is suspended with effect from
23:59 hrs, 31 January 2019 until such time as the operation is regularised,
one way or another.
32. Provided the operator is working positively towards restructuring
operations to be fully compliant with the law, the suspension date can be
varied or the order set aside if restructuring is completed before that date.
Alternatively, should the operator wish to appeal this decision, given the
generally compliant operation and the unique circumstances, a stay will be
granted.
33. This decision should have no adverse impact on the operator’s ability to
bid for or continue to carry out any contracts.
34. No adverse finding is made in relation to Alan Peters as transport
manager.
35. My decision on financial standing is adjourned until 31 March 2019.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

-Colly405-

Noting that the TC says that he's not come across this sort of relationship before, really? There are a number of what may be termed "unusual" relationships around here, contractual or other.
- Abus and Crown co-located and closely linked (both as mentioned in the text)
- Abus and First (X8, 349)
- CT Plus and First (U3, T1, soon to be M1)
- SGBC and Stagecoach West co-located

carlberry

Established Member
Noting that the TC says that he's not come across this sort of relationship before, really? There are a number of what may be termed "unusual" relationships around here, contractual or other.
All of those are likely to be fully contractual (and the SGBC shared operating centre one happens in numerous places). The issue appears to be that some of the arrangement is informal and dosent fit in with how the TC wants things to be structured. i.e has somebody paid lawyers lots of money to write up a proper contract to cover it.

freetoview33

Established Member
Thank you for supplying that. Having read through the findings, it's clear why the TC has taken the decision he has and why it doesn't necessitate an immediate suspension. However, they do need to sort out the "blurred lines" as was noted.
Surely the best way would be for both businesses to merge, and then split off BBCS?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

I guess the difference is this...

• It's perfectly fine to have your vehicles maintained by a third party and even co-located - that's pretty common such as SGB and Stagecoach West etc.
  • The concept of sub-contracting is pretty widespread - after all, National Express is based almost entirely on a model where the routes are registered by National Express but the operation is done by subbies. That is also the case with CT Plus and First, and indeed First and Mid Wales and plenty of other examples.
  • With Abus and First on the 349 and X8, the "sub-contract" bit is rather misleading as the operation is registered by Abus and they provide the resources (or perhaps not). It's branded as working as a sub contract but in reality, it's more of a coordinated timetable and shared marketing etc under the First brand - almost like a franchise. You had the same in Worthing with SussexBus working as a franchisee of Stagecoach.
  • You also have countless instances where firms will supply drivers (informally or as an agency) and buses.

What is different here is that you have an operator in Abus. They own the buses, register the services and are the O license holder etc. The maintenance is sub-contracted to Mundens - all fairly fine. However, the drivers are all sourced from Mundens who pay them.

Therefore, the question the TC is saying is - if Mundens are providing the drivers all the time (so it's not really acting as an agency supplier) and maintaining the vehicles, who is actually operating the vehicles and so should hold the O licenses and registrations. The TC accepts this blurring of the lines has taken place over time and without malice or deceit and has occurred over time. Therefore, he's giving them time to establish the correct boundaries of operation.

carlberry

Established Member
Carmel coaches have been running a double decker for the last few days. An Abus decker has been covering for the usual E300 on the X6 school service and the X54 to Nailsea in the evenings. Two different ones have been used so, I assume, it's a short term loan.
After downsizing to one of Abus's Solos last week Carmel are back to using their E300 again now.

freetoview33

Established Member
Another change happening in January the 515 is moving from Stagecoach to CT Plus/BCT. Not surprised as it is a bit detached from the other routes Stagecoach operates. I'm surprised Stagecoach actually agreed to take over this service to begin with, I did say back then it should have gone to CT Plus.

Also a timetable change to the 515.

And Abus are quitting the 991 school bus, which means they are now down to 5 services.

matt_splat

Another change happening in January the 515 is moving from Stagecoach to CT Plus/BCT. Not surprised as it is a bit detached from the other routes Stagecoach operates. I'm surprised Stagecoach actually agreed to take over this service to begin with, I did say back then it should have gone to CT Plus.

Also a timetable change to the 515.

And Abus are quitting the 991 school bus, which means they are now down to 5 services.

I beleve the school are stopping paying for the 991 and also on a Wednesday the 991 is having to run during the early afternoon which then means a extra bus and driver is required for the 349 to cover the 991 driver and bus

freetoview33

Established Member
I beleve the school are stopping paying for the 991 and also on a Wednesday the 991 is having to run during the early afternoon which then means a extra bus and driver is required for the 349 to cover the 991 driver and bus
Well whatever the case it's being withdrawn at the end of the year.