• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bristol Temple Meads - when was the station named?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless

Any history buffs among you know when 'Temple Meads' actually became part of the station name? I'm looking through as many sources as I can find, and certainly in the early days it was just 'the Bristol station at Temple Meads', i.e. the station in that part of Bristol. GWR documents through the 1840s and 1850s still refer to it just as 'the Bristol station', and on early timetables it's just 'Bristol'. Someone somewhere must have an old timetable, ticket etc. that shows the name expanded officially to 'Bristol Temple Meads'. Was it when the Joint Station opened in the 1870s, perhaps?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

2T57

It's likely to have been in 1870 to avoid confusion when St Philips opened. In The British Newspaper Archive there's a spike in references to Bristol (Temple Meads) in 1870. The Bristol Times and Mirror (28 April 1870) informed readers that the ‘new Midland station (St Philips)’ was due to open on Monday 2 May 1870 for ‘local traffic between Bristol and Bath’. A timetable was printed referring to Bristol St Philips Station, Bristol Temple Mead Station (not Meads) and Bath Midland Station. A few weeks later the same publication - and others - were referring to trains leaving ‘Bristol (Temple Meads)’.

Fearless

That's fantastic 2T57, thank you so much. I see that's only your second message as a member: what an extraordinarily productive member you're turning out to be!

Status
Not open for further replies.