• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Britannia Bridge fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Thanks for this,I've just watched it. Interesting that one of the firemen interviewed thought steam was still running in 1970. Also no mention was made of the section of tube displayed adjacent to the bridge even though one of the interviewees stood next to it. Was interesting to see the boys who started the fire interviewed too. It's a good compliment to the BTF film "Brittania-A Bridge" from which some of the footage was lifted.

Springs Branch

Established Member
I remember hearing about the Britannia Bridge fire when it happened, and wondered at the time how such a destructive fire could occur on a bridge which was basically a wrought iron tube built to robust Victorian standards. It sounded as unbelievable as hearing "the Forth Bridge is on fire!"

I rationalised at the time the trackbed must have become heavily encrusted with a hundred-odd years of coal and coal dust falling from tenders and/or lubricating oil dripping from steam running gear, and it must have been this that burned out of control.

Now, 50 years later with the benefit of Google and Wikipedia, I can learn it was actually the tar-coated wooden roof on top of the tube which was on fire - which makes more sense.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Anyone know if the Conwy bridge (same construction but lower and shorter) also had a tarred wooden roof, and whether it still does?

just watched the program on S4C, it was a very interesting program, just a pity 2 lads died during the reconstruction of the bridge.

The three Cl 40s stuck at Holyhead after the fire (one is briefly shown in the programme) had to be repatriated to the mainland by sea (via Barrow in F) because of restrictions on the Menai Road Bridge. I first travelled over the bridge in 1973 through the 'Up' tube , supported by the new arches, with the 'Down' tube in the course of being removed. It was all very exciting viewed from the front seat of a Met-Cam DMU.

Llandudno

Established Member
Anyone know if the Conwy bridge (same construction but lower and shorter) also had a tarred wooden roof, and whether it still does?
Yes, the Conwy Bridge is of similar construction.

Since the Britannia Bridge fire, following the operation of a steam train through the Conwy Bridge tube, the track and tunnel has to be inspected immediately before the next train can run through the tunnel.

topydre

Here's the Conwy tubes (taken from Conwy Castle, August last year).
There's no overall roof but it looks like there are roofs on the individual tubes; I'm not sure what material they are but it's not pitch (thank goodness!)

Attachments

• Photo 04-08-2019, 13 50 43.jpg
    Photo 04-08-2019, 13 50 43.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38

Revaulx

I remember hearing about the Britannia Bridge fire when it happened, and wondered at the time how such a destructive fire could occur on a bridge which was basically a wrought iron tube built to robust Victorian standards. It sounded as unbelievable as hearing "the Forth Bridge is on fire!"

I rationalised at the time the trackbed must have become heavily encrusted with a hundred-odd years of coal and coal dust falling from tenders and/or lubricating oil dripping from steam running gear, and it must have been this that burned out of control.

Now, 50 years later with the benefit of Google and Wikipedia, I can learn it was actually the tar-coated wooden roof on top of the tube which was on fire - which makes more sense.
When I was little I was fascinated by the Crystal Palace; not least because it seemed absurd that a building made of iron and glass could be totally consumed by fire.

Of course all the floors and many of the roof members were of wood. Also the proportion of wood increased following the move to Sydenham Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.