• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British Transport Hotels in the 1970s & 80s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scouseinmanc

Interesting question

This pic here - dated 1975, still shows thew word hotel on the entrance canopy - so assume it was still a hotel then - unless of course that is in part of the wrought iron canopy metalwork and might then have survived even if it had closed as a hotel at the time of the picture.
Thanks Western. Very frustrating that there’s hardly any info to be found!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Luxton

Established Member
This is very interesting - given the course of events from derelict to student halls back to hotel. Rather interesting that student halls less profit potential than hotel in Liverpool now. I wonder if the heavy work gutting it for student accom (back in the late 90s?) actually mad eit easier to convert to modern hotel.

It will almost certainly hammer another nail into the Adelphi - the situation with that being pretty tragic to say the least.
There is a massive supply of student accommodation in Liverpool with new builds still appearing.

Many houses being converted into HMOs (Houses of Multiple Occupation) aimed at the student market. In some parts of Liverpool HMOs are becoming as much a problem as second homes are in other parts of the country.

With the same arguments that they are destroying traditional communities.

Having lived my entire life in Liverpool I am wondering when peak student accommodation will be reached.

The North Western was bought by John Moore's University (ex Liverpool Polytechnic) as a halls of residence, however there has been a shift from students staying in university associated accommodation to that run by individuals and companies which are not associated with a particular institution.

University of Liverpool has also been consolidating accommodation. Carnatic Halls have been closed whilst the Greenbank Campus about half a mile away has been expanded. But this enables Carnatic to be sold off just as John Moore's University sold off the North Western.

There is very little info online re. Liverpool Exchange station Hotel. Did it close the same time the station did in 1977? Is there anywhere that has any decent info about the hotel?
From what I recall it closed as a hotel several years before the station - early 1970s.

John Luxton

Established Member
I believe there was one at Moretonhampstead,on Dartmoor,in Devon?
Yes the Manor House Hotel - it isn't far from a Dartmoor hotel which I go to on a regular basis.

For some time the stately pile of Viscount Hambledon son of Mr WH Smith the newsagent

It was sold to the GWR for hotel conversion if I recall to cover death duties.

After sale by BR it went into private ownership eventually passing into the ownership of Peter de Savery in 2003.

DeSavery decided to drive it seriously upmarket as well as renaming it Bovey Castle Hotel.

The prices being charged were all - "plus VAT" how many hotels show their prices without VAT? - none that I know of.

The prices "plus VAT" were seriously eye watering and comments appeared in the local and national press.

People at the hotel I stay at a few miles down the road predicted it wouldn't work out for de Savery and they were correct.

Within 3 years he had sold it.

Now on its second ownership since deSavery whilst not budget it has come down to earth a bit and the "plus VAT" pricing nonsense disappeared de Savery.

Gloster

Established Member
There is very little info online re. Liverpool Exchange station Hotel. Did it close the same time the station did in 1977? Is there anywhere that has any decent info about the hotel?

On andrewstransport.smugmug.com North West lost lines it says the hotel closed in 1971. (I have no idea of the accuracy of that date.)

Rescars

Another little gem was the Midland Hotel, Derby (aka Hallmark Hotel). Built in 1841 it is reputed to be the oldest purpose built station hotel still in use anywhere in the world. Has anyone tried it recently?

Springs Branch

Established Member
As an example, to help its intended transatlantic guests acclimatise to the next stage in their journeys, each bedroom was fitted with two doors, one opening outwards (like a ship's cabin) and the other opening inwards (as in any conventional home).
That arrangement of double doors is also used with traditional sets of rooms at the more venerable Oxbridge colleges.

The heavy outer door onto the staircase ("the oak") is closed if you're either out, or at home but in - ahem - Do Not Disturb mode. If the outer oak was left open, but the inner door closed, it meant you were home and available to receive visitors. Maybe the Adelphi's builders were trying to emulate this tradition?

jupiter

The Adelphi is legendary. From the late 70s to early 2000s I worked for Plessey/GPT/Marconi and we regularly travelled to the Liverpool site on Edge Lane. The Adelphi was always everyone’s first choice and nearly always full.

I have only ever managed to stay once, privately a couple of years back. It’s splendid and magical and not often you want to take your camera out inside a hotel and capture some of the wonderful architectural features.

Look at it like a Fawlty Towers, run by characters, it’s unbeatable and it’s good to see it getting a lot of attention in this thread.

station_road

Another little gem was the Midland Hotel, Derby (aka Hallmark Hotel). Built in 1841 it is reputed to be the oldest purpose built station hotel still in use anywhere in the world. Has anyone tried it recently?
It has been closed for a while and not accepting bookings until December, the local press have reported that the government are using it to house asylum seekers (link below- with a warning that there are lots of adverts on that site, like most local newspaper sites)

Story on Derby Telegraph website about Midland Hotel closure

WesternLancer

Established Member
It has been closed for a while and not accepting bookings until December, the local press have reported that the government are using it to house asylum seekers (link below- with a warning that there are lots of adverts on that site, like most local newspaper sites)

Story on Derby Telegraph website about Midland Hotel closure
Interesting update - I attended an event there about 4 years ago - very nice and smart public rooms, good dining. I actually stayed at their 'budget annex' over the road - modern building, and clean and comfortable bedroom.

I guess covid related decline in business travel (perhaps) has made a block long term contract booking with central govt an attractive option for them. So I hope this is not a sign of a long term decline for the hotel.

They certainly used to have business from wedding receptions etc as well as other events.

Has a nice hotel garden too IIRC (beyond the wall behind the Midland Railway / LMS war memorial.

Rescars

Slightly off topic, but another interesting railway linked establishment never part of the BTH empire, was the Imperial Hotel, Great Malvern, now used as a girls school. Particular features it enjoyed back in the day and which may interest users of this forum included a direct covered link to the down platform (The Worm), a private siding complete with wagon turntable (for coal and other supplies) and water for its hydropathic spa piped direct from springs inside the Colwall tunnel.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
That arrangement of double doors is also used with traditional sets of rooms at the more venerable Oxbridge colleges.

The heavy outer door onto the staircase ("the oak") is closed if you're either out, or at home but in - ahem - Do Not Disturb mode. If the outer oak was left open, but the inner door closed, it meant you were home and available to receive visitors. Maybe the Adelphi's builders were trying to emulate this tradition?
Wasn’t there a phrase ‘sporting the oak’, which I think meant that you had both doors closed?

Scouseinmanc

There is a massive supply of student accommodation in Liverpool with new builds still appearing.

Many houses being converted into HMOs (Houses of Multiple Occupation) aimed at the student market. In some parts of Liverpool HMOs are becoming as much a problem as second homes are in other parts of the country.

Having lived my entire life in Liverpool I am wondering when peak student accommodation will be reached.

The North Western was bought by John Moore's University (ex Liverpool Polytechnic) as a halls of residence, however there has been a shift from students staying in university associated accommodation to that run by individuals and companies which are not associated with a particular institution.

University of Liverpool has also been consolidating accommodation. Carnatic Halls have been closed whilst the Greenbank Campus about half a mile away has been expanded. But this enables Carnatic to be sold off just as John Moore's University sold off the North Western.

From what I recall it closed as a hotel several years before the station - early 1970s.
Thanks for your reply John

On andrewstransport.smugmug.com North West lost lines it says the hotel closed in 1971. (I have no idea of the accuracy of that date.)
Thanks Gloster

WesternLancer

Established Member

Thanks - interesting to read your insights - I think this is a big trend in many if not all of the large 'ex industrial' regional cities - with the problems you mention. It must be seen as a profitable part of the housing market for investors (I suspect students pay relatively high rents for relatively small square footage of accommodation - thus generating decent rates of return on the property). Similar trends where I live too - tho I have not heard of such accommodation actually closing - but clearly it's a bit fluid in Liverpool from what you have explained.

telstarbox

Established Member
Slightly off topic, but another interesting railway linked establishment never part of the BTH empire, was the Imperial Hotel, Great Malvern, now used as a girls school. Particular features it enjoyed back in the day and which may interest users of this forum included a direct covered link to the down platform (The Worm), a private siding complete with wagon turntable (for coal and other supplies) and water for its hydropathic spa piped direct from springs inside the Colwall tunnel.
This was featured on Michael Portillo's programme I believe.

John Luxton

Established Member
Thanks - interesting to read your insights - I think this is a big trend in many if not all of the large 'ex industrial' regional cities - with the problems you mention. It must be seen as a profitable part of the housing market for investors (I suspect students pay relatively high rents for relatively small square footage of accommodation - thus generating decent rates of return on the property). Similar trends where I live too - tho I have not heard of such accommodation actually closing - but clearly it's a bit fluid in Liverpool from what you have explained.
One can turn a typical 3 bed terraced or semi into a house for five or six students. Putting one or two rooms in the loft space is very common now.

Up to 2007 I lived on in a mixed residential and commercial property which my grandfather bought in 1938. It contained two shops and basically two four bedroom houses. It was massive and becoming a nightmare to keep maintained. When my father passed away I approached a local chap who had converted an old dairy premises nearby into student accomodation. He snapped it off me immediately which I was greatful for as I had my own career and just wanted a normal house.

Out of that property he created two lock up shops and accommodation for 14 students 7 in each attached house putting two rooms in the loft space. He showed me around when he had finished quite impressive what he had done. I wish I had thought of it myself as I might have given up teaching and gone into student property.

He then bought up some more houses and shops in the area and performed similar conversions.

However local councillors are now getting concerned about HMOs as they are causing parking and other problems and there is pressure to refuse permission for further HMO applications.

The Worm featured in one of Tim Dunn's programmes.

Hapana

I believe there was one at Moretonhampstead,on Dartmoor,in Devon?
Yes - Along with my earlier post about my dad wanting good value he booked that for their honeymoon. In January. He was a big fan of BTH hotels due to their "value"

Djgr

Established Member
The Adelphi is legendary. From the late 70s to early 2000s I worked for Plessey/GPT/Marconi and we regularly travelled to the Liverpool site on Edge Lane. The Adelphi was always everyone’s first choice and nearly always full.

I have only ever managed to stay once, privately a couple of years back. It’s splendid and magical and not often you want to take your camera out inside a hotel and capture some of the wonderful architectural features.

Look at it like a Fawlty Towers, run by characters, it’s unbeatable and it’s good to see it getting a lot of attention in this thread.
Yes. Just don't.

I stayed at the Station Hotel, Perth in 1974 on a family holiday. We used the day Motorail from Kensington, and stayed overnight before driving on to Skye. My chief memory, as a 14-year-old enthusiast, was finding that the blankets on the bed were branded LMS. Suddenly the past was connected to the present! Very much an educational experience.

iainbhx

I stayed that the Queens in Leeds whilst it was still a BTH hotel to attend an interview at the University thanks to the generosity of my grandmother who insisted that it was the only place to stay in Leeds. I seem to remember the room not being wonderful but the breakfast was very good. I've stayed at the now Hilton Paddington a few times in recent years and its been done up nicely. I've stayed at the Caledonian in Edinburgh as well back about 10 years ago, but its normally too rich for my blood. The Manchester Britannia remains the only hotel I've walked out of, a windowless hovel of a room with a stench of mould, many Britannias are used to house asylum seekers, hence the comments about them being "put in in four star hotels" when they are actually staying in the worst rooms in the worst chain in Britain. I don't mind a good Premier Inn, the one in Torquay is decent, has reasonable prices if you book in advance and is fairly close to the station. I'm taking a week there at the end of June.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I stayed that the Queens in Leeds whilst it was still a BTH hotel to attend an interview at the University thanks to the generosity of my grandmother who insisted that it was the only place to stay in Leeds. I seem to remember the room not being wonderful but the breakfast was very good. I've stayed at the now Hilton Paddington a few times in recent years and its been done up nicely. I've stayed at the Caledonian in Edinburgh as well back about 10 years ago, but its normally too rich for my blood. The Manchester Britannia remains the only hotel I've walked out of, a windowless hovel of a room with a stench of mould, many Britannias are used to house asylum seekers, hence the comments about them being "put in in four star hotels" when they are actually staying in the worst rooms in the worst chain in Britain. I don't mind a good Premier Inn, the one in Torquay is decent, has reasonable prices if you book in advance and is fairly close to the station. I'm taking a week there at the end of June.

I stopped a couple of times in the Leeds Queens back in the day - did not realise it then as to what a superb art-deco hotel it is (and was then) - again I recall the splendid china and "silverware" .....

There is a hugely amusing story about the unfortunate results of note taking after an important meeting - which I will not go into now - but will save for a future book of anecdotes if I ever got motivated enough to write it up.

Gloster

Established Member
In the place in Copenhagen that I mentioned in #62 you did your own cleaning, if you wanted to. You could borrow stuff from the reception/office, but this wasn’t much more than a dustpan and brush, paper towels and some generic cleaning fluid. On Fridays you dumped your linen and the rubbish bag from your bin outside the door and later collected the clean stuff that had been dumped there. They did vacuum the place (after a fashion) before dropping the clean sheets, but it was best to bring them in before the girls’ punters started turning up. The communal shower was a fixed rose in the wall and you had one of those rubber wipers with which you were expected to push the lying water down the outlet after showering. Toilet paper you supplied yourself.

bramling

Veteran Member

I’ve always quite liked Premier Inn. Their rooms are much better appointed than Travelodge, and generally every hotel is to a decent standard.

That said, they seem to have become a bit inconsistent in the last 2 or 3 years. Travelodge have also dropped, to the point where some of their hotels are seriously manky, bordering on disgusting.

mailbyrail

There's an excellent book on the subject - An Illustrated History of British Railway Hotels 1838-1983 by Oliver Carter, published by Silver Link publishing in 1990. ISBN for those that need it is 0-947971-36-X

It gives details of every hotel including opening and closing dates. Liverpool Exchange hotel opened 13 Aug 1888, closed 3 July 1971

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I’ve always quite liked Premier Inn. Their rooms are much better appointed than Travelodge, and generally every hotel is to a decent standard.

That said, they seem to have become a bit inconsistent in the last 2 or 3 years. Travelodge have also dropped, to the point where some of their hotels are seriously manky, bordering on disgusting.

The latter has been the case for a long time. Travelodges are generally OK when built/refurbished but are not properly looked after so quickly become bad.

The older PIs tend to have a lower price, to be fair to them.

mailbyrail

Two copies of Carter's book available on Abebooks website, but only one in the UK - price £25 + £4.75 p&p

WesternLancer

Established Member
In the place in Copenhagen that I mentioned in #62 you did your own cleaning, if you wanted to. You could borrow stuff from the reception/office, but this wasn’t much more than a dustpan and brush, paper towels and some generic cleaning fluid. On Fridays you dumped your linen and the rubbish bag from your bin outside the door and later collected the clean stuff that had been dumped there. They did vacuum the place (after a fashion) before dropping the clean sheets, but it was best to bring them in before the girls’ punters started turning up. The communal shower was a fixed rose in the wall and you had one of those rubber wipers with which you were expected to push the lying water down the outlet after showering. Toilet paper you supplied yourself.
So what tourist star rating did that achieve in the Denmark of the era concerned do you recall? :lol:

I mean did they have a negative score option?

Gloster

Established Member
So what tourist star rating did that achieve in the Denmark of the era concerned do you recall? :lol:

I mean did they have a negative score option?
No stars. It was only a ‘hotel’ for some legal reason: it did its best to discourage short-term visitors. The office was only open for a few hours a day and the rest of the time access was through a gate, to which you had to have a key. Breakfast was just a coffee and a bread roll (specially bought in) that was consumed at a table in the corner of the office (which would not yet have opened when it was served); long-term residents sorted out their own food. Anybody who did persist would be shown one of the cleaner rooms. However, they would probably be put off by the worn stairs, basic toilet arrangements and the other occupants if they encountered them. You had to either be absolutely desperate (and remember they were not open in the evening so people who found every other hotel full couldn’t get in to ask) or really wanted to study low-life. It was an interesting couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.