• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Britrail Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

doningtonphil

Hello.

I have friends who live in Cameroon. They are coming to UK to cycle Lands End to John ogroats and were hoping to use a 3 day Britrail pass to get them to the start point and back from the finish (they will be based in Derby).
However Cameroon isn't listed in the country of residence list.

They enquired to Visit Britain who replied that some countries aren't listed due to previous fraudulent activity. Therefore as Cameroon isn'tusted and as the country of residency chosen needs to match their passport then they advised a service can't be offered.

Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions if similar passes that could achieve the same goal?

Thanks in advance

Doningtonphil

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nova1

If it's not available in their country then I guess they'd need to either buy rovers if they are going to do a significant amount of travelling, or just purchase tickets for the specific journeys they will be doing.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The requirement is based on residency, not nationality. Therefore the selected country of residence need not necessarily match the passport.

Of course, if the two are different, then suspicions of misuse could arise, and so it may be worthwhile to have other evidence of residency.

But as your friends are resident in Cameroon it would be highly inadvisable for them to nominate a false country of residence, as they would be unable to prove this if required to do so.

Your friends could consider a Eurail pass - this is somewhat more expensive, even on a one-country basis, but may be cheaper than individual tickets depending on how far in advance you book, and exactly which trains you want to catch.

doningtonphil

Thanks for your replies.
I think they were actually trying through the 'visitbritain' website which has the booking facility. It asks all sorts of questions about arrival and departure dates and flight numbers etc.

I actually found the ATOC britrail site and that directs to 'ACPRail' website and all seems quite straightforward.
So the Cameroon restriction seems to be a visitbritain one

Status
Not open for further replies.