• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Britrail trip - first class loadings - now with trip report

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
So because it's January and because I worked between Christmas and New Year, I've treated myself to a two-day first class Britrail pass. And at 157 for two days travel you can't argue really.

I'm fully expecting at least one clown to try and argue that the Isle of Man is in the UK, but thankfully ACPRail (who I bought it off) include Isle of Man in the drop down list when it comes to 'country of residence' for authenticating the M-Pass. I have my Manx Gas bill and my Manx driving licence so I'm all prepared. And as it's an M-Pass at least it isn't easily confiscated.

Anyway.

I'm likely to be using it more on the Avanti and XC side of things, and it's a long time since I've used either. Whilst I'm aware the standard class carriages can be rammed at all times, especially on XC, I'm unsure what loadings will be like on Avanti and XC. I'll be travelling on a Friday and Saturday. Does anyone have experience of XC and Avanti more recently? I don't intend to be leaving Euston or New Street in rush hour. With LNER I can reserve a seat easily enough on the app, but I don't fancy paying ACPRail six euro a pop for reservations unless I really have to.

Post report to follow...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Snail

Established Member
You can reserve almost any reservable UK train for free on gwr.com, you need to have an account. Do not pay that ridiculous fee from ACP.

XC can be busy, even in 1st.

The biggest issue with Avanti is that they vary the mix of 1st and standard premium, on weekends there may only be the end half coach allocated to 1st.

Veteran Member
I was on Avanti Lancaster-Carlisle yesterday midday - first was almost empty (unlike TPE Carlisle-Edinburgh just after) and other Avanti trains I saw were equally sparsely filled.

tspaul26

Established Member
For most of my recent journeys between Birmingham/Warrington and Euston (all ‘rush hour’ on weekdays) there have been about 6 to 12 people in coach J on Avanti.

sh24

XC Birmingham to Plymouth on NYD I was the only person in First. If you are travelling out of peak times then I've seen half empty carriages, and it's never that busy in the W Country. However Bristol to Leeds on a Friday night is going to be rammed.

railfan99

Established Member
On one weekday peak hour CrossCountry journey from Briminham New St to Derby in late September 2023, first class was not full.

Nor was it on multiple journeys using Avanti WC on weekdays.

LNER was full in the main car offering first class on a Friday afternoon from Crewe north to Newcastle but the second 1st class car had vacant seats.

I don't believe you'll have any great problems.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Thanks everyone. Hotels booked in Cardiff on Friday and Croydon on Saturday. Croydon Premier Inn, right next to East Croydon station, for £59 on a Saturday night. Laughing.

I’ve made a couple of prudent reservations for Friday into Cardiff, otherwise should be fun.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Started out on Thursday 11th with a short hop across the puddle on Loganair. IMG_1371.jpeg Followed by a trip on the first of a couple of Arriva buses into Liverpool- the bus was rattly, cold, and filthy, but it was only £2.

Friday 12th January started with the 0740 Liverpool Lime Street to Milton Keynes Central. Breakfast was wonderful- and they brought toast and jam separately to go with it. No toast famine on Avanti that morning.509CBCEF-EC82-49EA-81A5-E95CB7F5EC2A.jpeg

Moved on to the 0930 Milton Keynes Central to Apsley. A pair of 350s, I sat down in the old first class cabin then remembered just how awful those seats were and moved. The guard was really friendly and chatty and expressed his amazement that my ticket was just €155.

Time for a walk around where I used to live. IMG_1381.jpegMy flat was in the block on the right, quite the view to wake up to. A walk along the canal into Hemel Hempstead, followed by a coffee then the 1133 Arriva 322 bus to Watford Junction. It was dirty, cold, and rattly, but it was only £2.

Then on to the 1231 Avanti from Watford Junction to Birmingham New Street. Apologies from the crew as they’d only loaded three toasties, but the chickpea salad was really good, as was the Mahou beer.IMG_1385.jpeg

A quick platform switch for the 1412 XC Birmingham New Street to Bristol Parkway. It may have been possible for the crew to care less, but it would have been tough. Finally on to the 1533 Bristol Parkway to Cardiff Central. Late and they’d subbed 2x387 due to the ongoing issues with the IETs, but it was quiet and only half an hour to a Cardiff.

Special mention to the Hotel Indigo in Cardiff. It really was lovely.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Very interesting, thank you for the trip report.
I'm just curious what you got offered on the Cross Country train from Birmingham to Bristol? Was it busy?
I imagine most pax on it would have paid over the odds for a poor service.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Almost every seat taken. I got a small cup of coffee and a mini packet of Seabrooks crisps.
Ok thank you. I've not travelled on Cross Country since before Covid, but often found their First Class hosts to be very inconsistent. Some happily offer the full menu options, with menus placed by the seats, whereas others don't bother and only offer you something more than drinks and crisps/biscuits upon request.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Saturday 13th January started out with the 0945 XC from Cardiff Central to Worcestershire Parkway. By Gloucester the train was full and standing except in my little haven in first class, where I was the only passenger. Clearly the Turbostars, even the 3-car ones, aren’t big enough.

Then on to the 1121 Worcestershire Parkway to Oxford, a 5-car IET. A decent number of people waiting, including 5 or 6 who’d transferred off the XC with me, and attentive crew in first class. Decent loadings again, even in first class, which is good to see on the Cotswolds.

I treated my startled feet to a walk around Oxford, then got the bus back to the station for the 1400 Oxford to Paddington. Only one in first class. Ticket inspector tried to claim my first class ticket wasn’t valid in first class. He did back down quickly- perhaps he didn’t see the huge letters on the ticket saying FIRST CLASS.

On to the Bakerloo then the Victoria line, then the 1525 London Victoria to East Croydon. I don’t understand why GTR don’t follow the lead of LNR and just do away with first class- the OBS had no intention of enforcing it and, to be quite honest, that was fair enough given they don’t even put a separate door into the first class area.

Final trips of the day were the 1729 East Croydon to Brighton- again, what’s the point of first class. And then, after another nice walk around the Lanes in Brighton (and a beer or three) it was the 2139 Brighton to Gatwick Airport. A Gatwick Express unit and, to be honest, I’d be livid if I was paying their prices. Usual misleading announcements at the station that “Southern tickets are not valid on this train” and so it was empty whilst plenty held back for the all-stops Thameslink. Such a massive waste of resources.

Last train of the rover was the 2213 Gatwick Airport to East Croydon. This this one even had internal doors (!), and the OBS did chuck the three loud lads eating fried chicken out of the cabin. But again I suspect he would not have done if he hadn’t seen I had a proper first class ticket. Overall, again I don’t get why GTR don’t just get rid of first class, it has no place on these trains.

jamesr

As a long term IoM resident, I’d often wondered a Britrail Pass was possible but in the days when the only option was risking someone in a booking office saying no, I was never brave enough to plan it!!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
As a long term IoM resident, I’d often wondered a Britrail Pass was possible but in the days when the only option was risking someone in a booking office saying no, I was never brave enough to plan it!!
I took mine as an M-Pass, which is an e-ticket really.

EUR155 for two days consecutive- that was the only down side, it was billed in Euros. Not thinking properly I didn't use my zero-fee credit card so got stung for a non-sterling transaction fee. Ah well.

When it came to validating the M-Pass, you get sent to a special web page where you put in your residency, your passport details, and the date you wanted it to start. Isle of Man was on the list. The ticket then gets emailed to you as a PDF.

The residency and passport number were then printed on the M-Pass. Nobody checking it batted an eyelid. I had my proof of address and my passport and nobody asked to see either.

Will do again.

zero

Nobody checking it batted an eyelid.

Hi, did the ticket open the barriers at all the stations you used or did you have to be let through?

As I'm no longer a UK resident I may get one of these on my next visit to the UK, but reports from earlier years seem to say they don't work at any barriers

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Hi, did the ticket open the barriers at all the stations you used or did you have to be let through?
They worked at some barriers and didn’t work at others. They worked at Oxford and Paddington, didn’t at Cardiff.