• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Broken down train north of Doncaster (06/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm currently sat on a VTEC service 5 miles north of Doncaster (at least according to the sign outside my window it's five miles) and the guard has just announced that we're stuck behind a broken down train.

Does anyone know which train this is? I'm trying to track it down on RTT but haven't managed to find a culprit yet plus my breakfast just arrived which is rather distracting me :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ah an update from the driver via the guard we're stuck behind a broken down HT service which has lost all the air in it's brake system. So now the question is how long it's going to take for them to sort that out. We are at least the first service behind them so will hopefully be first in line to proceed. Though I guess that depends if there are any crossovers we can use to go around them between us and the HT service!

It's this one on RTT, interesting that it was reporting 7 early at one stage just before it broke down! I wonder if that's usual for the service. From RTT it looks like it might have broken down basically on Doncaster station throat.
Another update from the guard suggesting that Network Rail are looking to institute single line working so we can pass the broken down train.

I have to say the people involved in this are doing an excellent job in ensuring that the guard has information to pass on to the passengers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mr_towers

Fingers crossed! On East Coast 1E04 at York right now, not a lot of information thus far (but a good quantity of coffee!)

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
No more news but the guard has just enabled free wi-fi for the whole the train so that's something I suppose.

I used to like Hull Trains, indeed they were one of my favourite operators, but if this how they repay their fans then I'll have to reconsider my support :lol:

They're going to be running out of platforms soon at York, looks like there are now two VTECs sat there.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Guard just announced that Network Rail do not have the necessary staff available to implement single line working so anything southbound that cannot go via Leeds (which I think 1E05 has done) is going to have to wait until the Hull Trains service is moved out of the way.

The guard sounded somewhat irritated with Network Rail.

I do have to wonder why Network Rail can't find sufficient staff on a weekday, outside of school holidays, on one of the most important long distance routes they have to allow for single line working...
Okay another update from the guard. The HT service is able to move under its own power and will proceed to Doncaster at 5mph (presumably they've fettled the brakes in some way? Anyone have any ideas?). At which point we shall be once again on the move.

The guard has pro-actively got permission from VTEC control for us to additionally call at Doncaster to allow anyone who wants to cancel their journey and return northwards to do so. I think that was a very good piece of work by the guard!

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
I think a nice little tweet or email to vtec should be sent in by the op it's great to hear of staff been proactive in keeping customers informed both from the driver the the tm/guard

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'll get around to it when I can :lol:
Finally arrived 130 minutes late! Bit disappointed that the catering crew didn't come around at any point after York other than to clear away and then relay the tables.

But we were met at KGX by an army of red jacketed people and a couple of managers all handing out delay repay forms as well as bottles of water, crisps and chocolate bars. I thought it was a nice touch.

Crossover

Established Member
Positivity out of a difficult situation - what is this madness ainsworth ;)
Ah an update from the driver via the guard we're stuck behind a broken down HT service which has lost all the air in it's break system.

Sorry, but my OCD can't let this one pass :P

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Positivity out of a difficult situation - what is this madness ainsworth

Eh it's not VTECs fault that a Hull Trains unit decided that Doncaster was the perfect place to have a fit and that Network Rail don't employ sufficient people to enable the introduction of single line working!

Sorry, but my OCD can't let this one pass :P

Hush ;)
Well this is going to prove to be a very expensive day for Hull Trains as it seems another 180 has broken down in almost exactly the same place as the one this morning!

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Well this is going to prove to be a very expensive day for Hull Trains as it seems another 180 has broken down in almost exactly the same place as the one this morning![/QUOTE]

And there was me thinking that the 180 were getting better reliability wise.
Sam

Sam

Don't worry, its not just the 180s that are falling apart now. The 158 I was volunteering on between Leeds and Carlisle failed over the level crossing at Cononley with what I was told was faulty valve gear on the compressor. An hour later we were finally under way. Not good for the many passengers onboard who wanted destinations in Scotland, but they weren't didn't seem too bad about the delay and we got them on the next service we could to their destinations.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Well this is going to prove to be a very expensive day for Hull Trains as it seems another 180 has broken down in almost exactly the same place as the one this morning!

According to trust, it was the very same unit, 180110, breaking down on both services, causing 1A92 (08:23 Hull to London Kings Cross) to terminate short at Doncaster 11:03- 100 late and then later on 1A95 15:12 Hull to London Kings Cross- currently 94 late passing through Stevenage at 18:55.

I imagine Hull Trains are accountable for a very large number of delays today then.

Crossover

Established Member
Eh it's not VTECs fault that a Hull Trains unit decided that Doncaster was the perfect place to have a fit and that Network Rail don't employ sufficient people to enable the introduction of single line working!

I feel some irony has been missed......

Established Member
Not sure of the exact braking system on HT's rolling stock but assuming it is like most systems, if there is a lack of air then the brakes have to be wound off manually, hence the reduced speed. If it was an air leak the leak can be isolated so only the brakes between the two isolation cocks would need to be wound off.

TUC

Established Member

One is left wondering if they even bothered trying ringing staff to see who was available to come in? This and other incidents do leave the impression of an organisation that lacks contingency plans.
Sam

HT's website is currently reporting the following for the return 1850 working from Kings Cross:

18:50 London Kings Cross to Beverley due 21:46 This train is being delayed from London Kings Cross, will be further delayed at Finsbury Park and is expected to be 61 minutes late.
This train will be terminated at Hull.
This train will no longer call at Beverley.
First class not available.
This is due to a fault on this train which is now fixed.

Wonder what kind of fault has resulted in first class not being available?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
According to trust, it was the very same unit, 180110, breaking down on both services, causing 1A92 (08:23 Hull to London Kings Cross) to terminate short at Doncaster 11:03- 100 late and then later on 1A95 15:12 Hull to London Kings Cross- currently 94 late passing through Stevenage at 18:55.

Good grief! I wonder if it was the same fault even? It was even in almost the same place from looking at RTT. I fear 180110 will be getting a severe talking to tonight...

Trainfan344

Established Member
Good grief! I wonder if it was the same fault even? It was even in almost the same place from looking at RTT. I fear 180110 will be getting a severe talking to tonight...

Just hope it doesn't do it a third time tonight!

carriageline

Established Member
People (rightly?) moan that network rail don't have enough staff for SLW, but the problem here is cost. Whilst even if they did employ enough people that could whip round and go do it, it's releasing them for training, refreshers etc etc. It costs money, and how often do we genuinely need to run SLW? More often than not the problem can be fixed and moved on before SLW is drummed up and sorted.

And then there is the cost of of having all these staff extra staff day in day out.

That's even if there is enough infrastructure to facilitate it. SLW is very labour intensive, between 2 stations on my patch would need 4/5 people.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Interesting that the 2-track sections of the ECML north of Northallerton are fitted with SIMBIDS for reversible working, but not the busier stretches between Grantham and York.
ERTMS will fix it (in about 5 years' time).

TUC

Established Member
My understanding is they closed it off completely due to, and a I quote, "broken"

Do you mean they actually were claiming there was a fault affecting their ability to operate a first class carriage as opposed to declassifying it?

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Do you mean they actually were claiming there was a fault affecting their ability to operate a first class carriage as opposed to declassifying it?

I do not know for sure... Certainly, I happened to see 110 go past me yesterday and it had no First Class occupents

Erniescooper

Given the loss of air earlier in the day I would suspect tha air suspension was isolated. It's a perfectly safe thing to do but the ride would be a bit bouncy and uncomfortable for the passengers.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Given the loss of air earlier in the day I would suspect tha air suspension was isolated. It's a perfectly safe thing to do but the ride would be a bit bouncy and uncomfortable for the passengers.

I'd probably prefer that to the normal ride...

Status
Not open for further replies.