• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bromley North Branch unit allocation future

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad465

Established Member
Today I used the Bromley North branch as the last part of the network a lone 2-car 466 operates on. From previous discussions 466s were granted a derogation to continue operating on their own on this branch until the end of the year, due to all other mainline classes (375, 376, 465) Southeastern use not being able to run passenger services on this line.

As the extension is soon coming to an end, does anyone know if the issues preventing other stock from using the branch have been resolved in time for presumably the December timetable change? (I'd like to think the major closure for resignalling recently was a good opportunity for rectifying that, but I don't have inside knowledge on this)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Established Member
I don't know whats happening about this but I do know that 465's have operated services on the branch and unless thing have changed can still do so if need be.
Yes they have before on Sunday engineering work services when the mainline through Bromley South is closed, but apparently in recent years a safety issue has prevented anything other than 466s running on passenger services on this branch. This came up in a discussion on here around a year ago when talking about what stock would replace the 466 branch line workings from the start of 2020.

brad465

Established Member
The original discussion about the branch line was in this now closed thread, see posts 19-27:

DorkingMain

466s are not PRM compliant and would usually only work in multiple with a PRM compliant 465.

However, the only place the Bromley North branch line has step-free access is at Bromley North, and in one direction at Sundrige Park. There is also a frequent parallel (and accessible) bus service on the 126 + 261. Therefore dispensation was given to the 466s to run alone on the branch as there was no realistic prospect of PRMs making a journey on the route anyway.

brad465

Established Member
466s are not PRM compliant and would usually only work in multiple with a PRM compliant 465.

However, the only place the Bromley North branch line has step-free access is at Bromley North, and in one direction at Sundrige Park. There is also a frequent parallel (and accessible) bus service on the 126 + 261. Therefore dispensation was given to the 466s to run alone on the branch as there was no realistic prospect of PRMs making a journey on the route anyway.
Sounds reasonable, my initial thought (and possibly another reason for approving derogation) was as a single journey only takes 5 minutes, so some of the issues a PRM might face are less likely to arise, such as using an on-board toilet or not being in a wheelchair space, further helped by Bromley North having an accessible toilet on its premises (haven't checked if Grove Park also has one).

brad465

Established Member
Are the 466’s still operating on the Sheerness branch? They were last summer when I was there. If not what units are normally used?
Sheerness branch is now operated by a 3 car 375
Interestingly 375s were brought in around 1-2 months earlier than originally planned because a power supply issue, that NR didn't go about fixing, was preventing 2 car 466s on their own from running reliably on the branch (6-car Networker peak sets are not an issue). Until the new timetable and derogation came into effect the 466s doing the Sheerness shuttles and the 375s on the Medway valley line swapped, giving the former a final spell of fully operating the Medway valley line before the turn of the year.

This example though does demonstrate a resilience problem in having only one type of rolling stock being cleared for a section of line. Even if 466s are given a derogation extension to run the Bromley North branch alone indefinitely, if a power supply issue or something else came about that would stop them using the branch, other rolling stock needs to be cleared to operate it.

DorkingMain

Heard today that the issue preventing 465s running on the branch is to be resolved by the end of the year, by moving DOO equipment.

brad465

Established Member
Heard today that the issue preventing 465s running on the branch is to be resolved by the end of the year, by moving DOO equipment.
I had a feeling DOO equipment was the reason, given it was an issue of everything longer than 2 cars being prohibited. However I couldn't tell where on my last venture such equipment was an issue: the mirrors at Bromley North and Grove Park appear to be alright for 4 cars (although definitely not more than that at the former), so at a guess either Sundridge Park or an alternative feature of DOO operation is the focus.

Thank you for confirming.

brad465

Established Member
Today the line is closed through Bromley South, where similar closures have in the past led to Bromley North services to/from London supplementing the diversions of Victoria services. It'll be interesting to see if they get to make a return in future when useful and when the branch can handle 4-car units in service again soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.