• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brundall Level Crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GE Signals

Does anyone know how the key locks at Brundall LC worked with two key lock 'panels', one in the Signal Box and one in the Gate Hut? Normally only one key-lock 'panel' would be provided.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Does anyone know how the key locks at Brundall LC worked with two key lock 'panels', one in the Signal Box and one in the Gate Hut? Normally only one key-lock 'panel' would be provided.
I worked on Brundall Box 1988/89. The box just used locking lever from what I recall which was no1 in the frame. The crossing keeper would take a key out of either gate once closed & locked across the road & insert them into the box in the hut & turn. This then allowed the signaller to return the lever to the frame & clear the signals.

LAX54

Established Member
Having spent many happy days in the 80's in Brundall box and the Xing on overtime, (mainly when one of the keepers was, shall we say 'not very well' ) it is as DK1 says, there are two keys on the gates, they slot into the keybox in the hut, which releases the electric lock in the box for Number 1 lever to go into frame and lock the crossing :)

John Webb

Established Member
I assume this arrangement is due to the signal box being close to the junction near the end of one platform while the level crossing lies between the two platforms?

dk1

Veteran Member
I assume this arrangement is due to the signal box being close to the junction near the end of one platform while the level crossing lies between the two platforms?
Way back the signaller would operate the gates themselves early on Sunday mornings & occasionally if a night shift was added for engineering. It is far too busy at other times.

Status
Not open for further replies.