• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brussels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngiecj

Hi all,

I have been looking at the previos thread for the gentleman going to Brussels on the Eurostar for the first time. I am in the same position so that advice has been absolutely superb thank you.

Just to change tack slightly. I have around 3 hours in Brussels. Before the Eurostar home. Is there anything I can bash during this period? I noticed there seems to be Brussels Nord station doesn't appear too be far? Are tickets expensive? And is there many loco hauled trains that stop at both stations?

And finally one more question ! Is photography generally permitted in Belguim, would i be best asking a member of staff beforehand..

Regards

Chris.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Hi all,

I have been looking at the previos thread for the gentleman going to Brussels on the Eurostar for the first time. I am in the same position so that advice has been absolutely superb thank you.

Just to change tack slightly. I have around 3 hours in Brussels. Before the Eurostar home. Is there anything I can bash during this period? I noticed there seems to be Brussels Nord station doesn't appear too be far? Are tickets expensive? And is there many loco hauled trains that stop at both stations?

And finally one more question ! Is photography generally permitted in Belguim, would i be best asking a member of staff beforehand..

Regards

Chris.

For something different, I suggest sampling the Underground and the Trams :)

If just for one of the curves into Nord which has the tram taking it at right angles literally, the whole Metro system has to be sampled, I went there last year and it was certainly a experience :)

I'm not sure about photos though as I wasn't really into photos as much as I am now, so can't answer that.

Capybara

Three hours isn't much (and you'll need half an hour to check in at Eurostar) but if you purchase a day ticket (6 Euros) covering all transport in Brussels you would have time to sample the trams, metro and a trip up to Nord and back - there are plenty of loco-hauled trains between the two. I've never had any problems taking photographs in Belgium (though I only take 'snaps' and don't set up tripods and stuff) but I don't know if there are any rules.

youngiecj

thanks for the reply. My photos are generally snaps as well. Mostly interested in the loco hauled sets, so hopefully can get a couple in. Just a test trip really, and hope in the near future it may be a longer stay'.

Again thanks for your replys

Established Member
Off-peak 4 or 5 hauled trains per hour through the tunnels between Midi, Central and Nord

Mainly now modern Siemens Vectron 18s (and now 19s) but also a few 21s. You'll get the occasional 27 and 13 but these are now relatively few and far between, off-peak at least - in the rush hour there are engines left, right and centre.

rf_ioliver

I have around 3 hours in Brussels. Before the Eurostar home. Is there anything I can bash during this period?

To be really honest, forget the trains, go to a restaurant in Grand Place, eat moules et frites, drink a large cold Belgian beer and watch the world go by. 2 hours later...checkin for Eurostar :)

Ian

Veteran Member
Remember your ES ticket is valid to all stations in the centre of Brussels - exact details on the ES website - but obviously for only one trip each way and not on other public transport

youngiecj

Off-peak 4 or 5 hauled trains per hour through the tunnels between Midi, Central and Nord

Mainly now modern Siemens Vectron 18s (and now 19s) but also a few 21s. You'll get the occasional 27 and 13 but these are now relatively few and far between, off-peak at least - in the rush hour there are engines left, right and centre.

Thanks for that like the look of the 21s! Hopefully get a couple of them in!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
To be really honest, forget the trains, go to a restaurant in Grand Place, eat moules et frites, drink a large cold Belgian beer and watch the world go by. 2 hours later...checkin for Eurostar :)

Ian

I am hoping too sample a couple. Perhaps a trip to Nord? And then food and beer :)

GNER 91128

Thanks for that like the look of the 21s! Hopefully get a couple of them in!

I am hoping too sample a couple. Perhaps a trip to Nord? And then food and beer :)

There's loads of nice little cafes/restaurants right near Central station.

My fave bar I found was "A La Becasse"

For food there was a great little place next to a subway take away opposite Novotel just round the corner from the Grand Place.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Is it just the fact that Noord station is more 'open' than the other central Brussels stations that make it the first choice for people coming to Brussels for bashing? I'm trying to understand the rationale. Brussels Noord station is dodgy at the best of times!

You won't have a problem with photography from the officials, but keep an eye/hand on your camera bag otherwise it might go walkies.

Essexman

Established Member
I've never had any problems taking photos (without tripod).
You can get loco hauled photos from end of platform at Midi.
Note that some loco hauled trains have the loco in the middle, so unusual but maybe not so good for photos.

Nord station isn't in the nicest area of Brussels.

I'd take the metro to Heysel and look at the Atonium which is impressive from outside (but not very exciting inside).

youngiecj

Thanks for the responses guys. Some really useful information. Looking forward to it.

Again many thanks.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Just to add,I've had absolutely no problem on mainline,tram or Metro stations taking photos today and yesterday,so you'd be fine there.

Loco-haulage wise,not sure what's booked for locos but all seem to stop Midi,Centraal and Nord (and vice versa).Had 2115 on a Nord to Midi leap earlier,it sounded great!Had a top and tailed double deck train Centraal to Nord,but again no idea on classes.

Jump tickets to cover all your leapage are available,a 1 day version is currently €6.

You could take a tram ride out from Montgomery Metro to Tervuren, which is a classic run through a forest and a reminder of what the Viciniaux system of local railways might be like today if it survived. It takes about 1 hour from Zuid/Midi to Tervuren: a one hour ticket will cover it.
However, do be careful on the Metro/Pre-Metro: pickpockets are now a big problem and I was robbed myself on Tram route 3 in November....:-x If the train or tram is crowded, wait for the next one!

341o2

Established Member
15 - 20 years ago, I made several visits to see continental tram & trolleybus systems - in fact the only time anyone took notice was in Lyon where the driver wanted a copy.

Used a handheld film SLR Use of flash might be an issue as it is over here.

Currently converting my slides to digital, having visited Lyon, Marseille, Amsterdam, Brussels, Ghent, Antwerp & Rotterdam. Nearly forgot Lisbon as well

341o2

Established Member
You could take a tram ride out from Montgomery Metro to Tervuren, which is a classic run through a forest and a reminder of what the Viciniaux system of local railways might be like today if it survived. It takes about 1 hour from Zuid/Midi to Tervuren: a one hour ticket will cover it.

Agree. Here is one of my pics. does the depot at Wolouwe still house some preserved trams

Attachments

• DPP_00036-1.jpg
    DPP_00036-1.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 33

youngiecj

Hi all,

Had a cracking day out yesterday to Brussels, thanks to all for your guidance. Managed to "bash" 4 locos between Brussells Midi & Centraal. Very impressed with the double-deck stock. Will post some pictures on shortly for anyone thats interested.
Also here is a link for a few quick snaps i took whilst i was in Brussels.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/youngiespics/sets/72157633015752575/

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Glad to see you had a good time,I too had an amazing time on my Interrail this week.Trip report due when I get time,been far too busy today adding stuff to RailMiles and such like.Was going to do the trip report as I went,using WiFi wherever possible,but it's provision in the hotels I stayed in varied considerably from great to not working.

Loved my trip so much I'm going again ASAP!
1 mile 10 chains for Centraal to Midi leaps by the way...

youngiecj

Glad to see you had a good time,I too had an amazing time on my Interrail this week.Trip report due when I get time,been far too busy today adding stuff to RailMiles and such like.Was going to do the trip report as I went,using WiFi wherever possible,but it's provision in the hotels I stayed in varied considerably from great to not working.

Loved my trip so much I'm going again ASAP!
1 mile 10 chains for Centraal to Midi leaps by the way...

Thanks for that, having to start a European Loco spreadsheet for mileage now..! I really enjoyed it, i thought the trains were fantastic.However i was disappointed with the state of the stations in Brussels. Midi really was a bit of a mess !

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Midi is better than Nord though! Should see some of the smaller stations on the way from Midi to Charleroi Sud, incredibly sorry state :(

If you're after a book for Belgium, ST Publications do a Benelux book (also includes coaching stock) as do Platform 5. The latter's more expensive but has a lot of useful information in it, alas it doesn't do coaching stock. Benelux, for reference is Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg.

There are indeed some good trains over there :D

Established Member
I went to Brussels on holiday in 2008 and loved it. I remember doing the 44 tram route out to Tervuren, a very nice run. Would love to go back at some point but at the moment Germany is taking priority as it's been even longer since I went there!

Status
Not open for further replies.